Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MOROCCON TAOUZILT SNAPHAUNCE MUSKET (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24203)

BANDOOK 15th August 2018 11:21 AM

MOROCCON TAOUZILT SNAPHAUNCE MUSKET

12 Attachment(s)
A RECENT ACQUISITION IS THIS BEAUTIFUL TAOUZILT MUSKET FROM THE RAS EL OUED,IN THE HIGH VALLEY OF THE SOUS MOUNTAINS OF MOROCCO.AMAZING SILVER WORK WITH SEMIPRECIOUS STONES.

BANDOOK 15th August 2018 11:25 AM

7 Attachment(s)
SOME MORE PICTURES

rickystl 20th August 2018 02:01 PM

Hi Bandook

Don't know how I missed this Thread earlier on.

WOW!! That is a nice Sous Valley snaphaunce musket. This one is very heavily decorated. You can imagine what this one looked like when new built.
The one thing I notice is that the lock plate (only) appears to be a later working replacement. Curious since the plate itself never really wears out. The lock style on this one copies the English pattern. Again, a nice piece to add to your collection. Congratulations.

Rick

kahnjar1 20th August 2018 09:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Rajesh,
I held off commenting here to see what others thought.
I agree with Rick. The lock plate looks (from the pics) to be a later replacement and lacks the patina of the rest of the lock fittings. Also the silver decorative domes appear to be only on one side of the stock, with brass?? flat head nails on the other. Nice gun though and should clean up well.
Some pics of a similar gun in my collection.
Stu

BANDOOK 25th August 2018 01:55 AM

Hi Stu,
Both sides of the stock have different design and decorations.You have a done a good job on restoring your moukhala,looks Great

kind regards
Rajesh

Kubur 26th August 2018 08:11 AM

Hi Rajesh,

This one is on my dream list.
What a beauty, in net condition, congrats!!!

Kubur

BANDOOK 26th August 2018 11:24 AM

Thanks my friend Kubur,
wanted to buy a good example of this type,but a dealer based in France said in France itelf these moukhalas sell for euros 1500-1800 and sought after.,so when one came my way locally I made sure I don't loose out as importing guns is time consuming and shipping very expensive into New Zealand
Merci
Rajesh

Kubur 4th November 2018 11:18 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

It's done, I got one!!

all good
Kubur
:)

kahnjar1 4th November 2018 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubur
Hi All,

It's done, I got one!!

all good
Kubur
:)

Well done.......cleaning of the silverwork will work wonders I think. Also I note that the trigger is missing...........
IMHO potentially a very attractive piece with a bit of TLC.
Stu

Kubur 5th November 2018 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Well done.......cleaning of the silverwork will work wonders I think. Also I note that the trigger is missing...........
IMHO potentially a very attractive piece with a bit of TLC.
Stu

Thanks Stu
Yes I'll clean it, I'm just afraid to remove the niello work...

rickystl 5th November 2018 03:06 PM

Hi Kubur

YAY !!! You finally found one. Congratulations. As Stu mentions, the clean up will probably do wonders. If you're missing some parts, let me know as I may have them. LOL

Rick