Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Flask for ID and Comment (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22998)

kahnjar1 11th August 2017 09:41 PM

Flask for ID and Comment

3 Attachment(s)
A new addition to my collection is this quite large brass flask of unknown origin, and showing good age patina. It has traits of the Middle East but I would be interested to know its ACTUAL country of origin.
With cap in place it measures 8" and the "bowl" diameter is 4". The heavy suspension chain appears original but the chain which would hold the cap against loss, is missing. I suspect that the cap also doubles as a powder measure.
Your thoughts please Gentlemen and Ladies.
Stu

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 12th August 2017 12:00 AM

Yes ~ This appears to be Indian or Indo Persian.

rickystl 12th August 2017 05:28 PM

Hi Stu.

Hmmmm. This is a difficult one to guess it's origin. I don't reconize the pattern from any paticular location. The engraving is generic enough to have come from almost anywhere. The cap design reminds me of some Arab or Omani flasks. But nothing else looks Arabic. No, I think Ibrahiim is closer being Indian. Tough call on this one.
The chain looks to be of good quality. You can tell this flask has seen some use. If you can locate one of those long medical Q-Tips, or similar, try rubbing the cotton end down to the bottom of the flask and see if you can find some black powder residue.
It's a nice looking flask with a great age patina. I like it.

Rick

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 12th August 2017 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Indo Persian it seems to be ... One like this... :shrug:

kahnjar1 12th August 2017 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Indo Persian it seems to be ... One like this... :shrug:

Salaams Ibrahiim, Thank you for your replies. You show a pic very similar to the flask I have. Do you have a reference caption which accompanied this pic?
Indo Persian could well be a suitable description for this style but then it is also a rather vague term, a bit like Ottoman. I was hoping for a more definite country of origin, but thank you anyway.
Stu

rickystl 13th August 2017 02:42 PM

Stu: That one Ibrahiim just posted looks like a direct cousin to your's. LOL Close enough to have come from the same shop.
I was looking through some reference material last night, but no luck. Not able to match the pattern/engraving with any specific Region. I like the nicely detailed cap on your's. Hope you can pin it down a little closer.

Rick

kahnjar1 13th August 2017 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickystl
Stu: That one Ibrahiim just posted looks like a direct cousin to your's. LOL Close enough to have come from the same shop.
I was looking through some reference material last night, but no luck. Not able to match the pattern/engraving with any specific Region. I like the nicely detailed cap on your's. Hope you can pin it down a little closer.

Rick

.....I hope so too.....