Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Albanian khanjar? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12213)

Dmitry 15th July 2010 04:07 PM

Albanian khanjar?

2 Attachment(s)
Blade is 29 cm long, thick, rhomboid, with a serious point, a piercing weapon, with no cutting edges. The shape of the horn hilt looks Albanian/Western Balkan.
Is my Albanian attribution correct? Thanks!

Lew 15th July 2010 05:24 PM

Albanian is a good call on the hilt but the blade has a strong Turkish look to it.

Atlantia 15th July 2010 05:31 PM

Ottoman Albanian?

TVV 15th July 2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantia
Ottoman Albanian?

Sure, Albania was part of the Ottoman Empire until 1913, and this looks to be older than this date.

However, to me it looks more Eastern Anatolian/Syrian/Kurdish than Balkan based on all the elements, including hilt and scabbard.

Regards,
Teodor

Dmitry 16th July 2010 12:32 AM

Thank you for your replies.
I was thrown off by the handle, the shape and style of which is sought to be Albanian or Western Balkan. The blade is infinitely better than what one usually sees mounted on these hilts, and is almost 14 mm thick at the ricasso. I believe it could easily pierce a chain mail.

erlikhan 16th July 2010 12:18 PM

i think the blade is a valuable 18th century Ottoman court dagger used by high ranks in Istanbul,originally having had walrus hilt,silver scabbard and as oftenly done to nice blades, later in time it was rehilted and resheated .

ALEX 16th July 2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erlikhan
i think the blade is a valuable 18th century Ottoman court dagger used by high ranks in Istanbul,originally having had walrus hilt,silver scabbard and as oftenly done to nice blades, later in time it was rehilted and resheated .

I completely agree with Erlikhan.
The blade is very, very fine, and I suspect it is forged of wootz.
The fittings are later and do not match the level of blade's quality and prestige.

Dmitry 16th July 2010 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you, gentlemen!
I suspected that the blade was rehilted some time in the past, as it doesn't match the lesser quality of the handle and the scabbard.
This is what it may have looked like originally.

ALEX 16th July 2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmitry
...This is what it may have looked like originally.

Exactly! Congratulations on this fine blade, Dmitry.

Battara 17th July 2010 03:01 AM

I agree too that this looks rehilted.

Great pictures - wish I had the money :(

Gess 26th July 2010 02:59 PM

Hi Dmitry!
Blade - very, very interesting and rare, but what is the value subject entirely?
Unknown even original appearance ... There is a similar object in the original, it is such a blade (four-edged)? What age?
Regards, Igor.

Lew 26th July 2010 03:33 PM

Gentlmen

This item is currently up for sale in the swap so please refrain from posting any further comments until it is sold.

Lew