Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bagobo Datu Spear (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25705)

Battara 5th March 2020 04:09 AM

Bagobo Datu Spear

5 Attachment(s)
Greetings folks.

Here is the only Bagobo datu spear I have. I just finished restoring it based on research from old pictures and Krieger’s work.

The blade is steel with silver and bronze/brass dots. All of the silver inlays are reminiscent of Moro datu kris blade work.

Beneath the blade are a bronze collar with worn down spirals and a brass collar with “figures” chased in it. Below all of that is a section of brass hammered wire, held at the bottom with a bone ring.

At the distal end the spear was split and I glued that, then made the Bagobo figured brass sleeve with a hammered cap at the end.

I would place this at the end of the 19th century.

Battara 5th March 2020 04:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of a Bagobo datu taken in 1900. Notice the spiral wire wrap near the hand and especially the spear blade with inlay.

mariusgmioc 5th March 2020 09:36 AM

Lovely piece and interesting information!

Thank you for sharing! :)

CharlesS 5th March 2020 12:11 PM

One of the most attractive Philippines spears I have seen!

Oliver Pinchot 5th March 2020 05:15 PM

Brilliant restoration, Jose!

xasterix 5th March 2020 09:18 PM

Lovely symbolism. Great piece!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
Greetings folks.

Here is the only Bagobo datu spear I have. I just finished restoring it based on research from old pictures and Krieger’s work.

The blade is steel with silver and bronze/brass dots. All of the silver inlays are reminiscent of Moro datu kris blade work.

Beneath the blade are a bronze collar with worn down spirals and a brass collar with “figures” chased in it. Below all of that is a section of brass hammered wire, held at the bottom with a bone ring.

At the distal end the spear was split and I glued that, then made the Bagobo figured brass sleeve with a hammered cap at the end.

I would place this at the end of the 19th century.

kai 5th March 2020 10:36 PM

Very nice piece, Jose!

Do the silver as well as the brass inlays have central dots from another alloy? Could you take a close-up, please?

Regards,
Kai

Battara 6th March 2020 12:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you folks.

Hi Kai, I hope this picture is what you were asking. The only metals that I can find are silver (more like a sterling silver of around 90-92% silver and 10-8% copper alloy) and brass/bronze. No other alloys are present.

Aslan Paladin 6th March 2020 08:05 AM

Very nice spear Jose, masterfully restored to its original glory.

Battara 7th March 2020 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kai
Very nice piece, Jose!

Do the silver as well as the brass inlays have central dots from another alloy? Could you take a close-up, please?

Regards,
Kai

After re-reading your question again, I now understand better. The round/middle parts of the dots and inlays are the same. The color differentials are from lighting and the effects of etching. I etched the blade just in case there was a pattern in the steel (and yes it makes the inlays pop out better).

Sajen 7th March 2020 09:57 AM

Beautiful spear Jose, congrats! :) :cool: