Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Identification of barrel's marks on a Greek pistol (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15105)

Sylektis 19th February 2012 10:31 AM

Identification of barrel's marks on a Greek pistol

7 Attachment(s)
Hi friends,

Can anybody recognize the barrel's marks on this Greek pistol?
Thank you in advance.

Dom 19th February 2012 11:05 AM

very beautiful pistol,
very elegant in its form and decoration
I just love it :p
thanks for sharing

à +

Dom

Multumesc 21st February 2012 11:16 AM

It is very interesting gun. It is obvious that Eastern origin. What size is and what weight is?

Matchlock 22nd February 2012 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Sylektis,

All I can contribute is this photoshoped version of your image of the marks, hoping it will help attract more competent members.

Best,
Michael

Sylektis 26th February 2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multumesc
It is very interesting gun. It is obvious that Eastern origin. What size is and what weight is?

Length= 45cm
Weight= 1162gr

Sylektis 22nd December 2013 09:18 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Hi again.

I found in my photo archive the same marks on another pistol.
Can anybody help now?
Resemble Belgian proof marks but I can't identify them exactly.
Thank you.

fernando 22nd December 2013 11:03 AM

Hy Sylektis,
They have a similar exterior oval shape but they are not Belgium (Liege) at all.
I guess all those efects in your pistol ar only decorative, to resemble real marks; a practice often seen in Turkish guns, for one :o .

Kubur 18th July 2016 03:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Skyletis,

I have one question, do you think the Owl on your pistol is linked to Athena and it's a symbol of Athens the Greek capital?

:)
Kubur

Sylektis 2nd September 2016 08:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubur
Hi Skyletis,

I have one question, do you think the Owl on your pistol is linked to Athena and it's a symbol of Athens the Greek capital?

:)
Kubur

With the beginning of the Greek Revolution of 1821, the temporary government tried to link the new country with its ancient history. So, in art, Greece has the face of Athena.

Kubur 3rd September 2016 05:30 PM

Thank you it's very interesting.
Do you know if the lion is a Greek symbol or a Turkishsymbol?
I have seen lions on many palaskas. I have a palaska with lions too.
In Europe, you can find many swords with lions as this animal is a symbol of strengh and justice.
Best,

Sylektis 6th September 2016 12:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubur
Thank you it's very interesting.
Do you know if the lion is a Greek symbol or a Turkishsymbol?
I have seen lions on many palaskas. I have a palaska with lions too.
In Europe, you can find many swords with lions as this animal is a symbol of strengh and justice.
Best,

Lion was a very old symbol of strength and gentleness for Kings and Heroes.(although they have disappeared from Greece many years ago!) The Ottomans were not using people and animals as symbols and art. It was used only as a title by a number of Seljuk and Ottoman rulers, including Alp Arslan and Ali Pasha. (The latter was called "The lion of Epirus")

Kubur 6th September 2016 08:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you very much, because the examples that you provided demonstrate well that the lions are connected to Greek palaskas. What do you think about these ones? 2 lions and 2 birds, so interesting...
Best,

Sylektis 23rd December 2021 08:52 PM

7 Attachment(s)
After exactly 10 years I managed to get his couple. The owls found their match.

fernando 24th December 2021 09:25 AM

Fantastic !!!

corrado26 24th December 2021 10:51 AM

This is a miracle, I never heard that separated pairs found together again. Congratulations:)

rickystl 13th January 2022 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corrado26 (Post 268540)
This is a miracle, I never heard that separated pairs found together again. Congratulations:)

I second that !! Incredibally beautiful pistols. The Greeks did seem fond of adding facial masks to their metal work.

Rick

chitoryu12 20th January 2022 02:34 PM

I had a friend look over his gun book. They appear to be maker's marks, but he doesn't know which maker.