Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spirit Identification (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7474)

Royston 6th November 2008 12:12 PM

Spirit Identification

3 Attachment(s)
Painted on the reverse of a Utap.

The only reference I can find is in the shield book and that just says it is a rarer form.

Does anyone have any information they could share on these spirits ?

My young niece says they remind her of Tove Jannson's creatures the Hattifatteners ( Yes, I had to look them up as well, so don't feel embarassed )

Regards
Royston

asomotif 8th November 2008 12:22 AM

Nice shield. perfect condition and very nice back side.

Barbier Mueller / Shields, calls them : many-eyed supernatural beings.

Christian Feest / The art of war, calls them : smiling anthropomorphic figures

Arjan / Mandaukudi is selling a DVD/Cd (or whatever these shiny discs are called :confused: ) with some Dajak shield info.
Although I believe that article is in dutch there might be some additional info in that article.

Ps. I don't think this is an Utap, rather a klebit bok, for what a name is worth :shrug:

Mytribalworld 8th November 2008 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by asomotif
Nice shield. perfect condition and very nice back side.

Barbier Mueller / Shields, calls them : many-eyed supernatural beings.

Christian Feest / The art of war, calls them : smiling anthropomorphic figures

Arjan / Mandaukudi is selling a DVD/Cd (or whatever these shiny discs are called :confused: ) with some Dajak shield info.
Although I believe that article is in dutch there might be some additional info in that article.

Ps. I don't think this is an Utap, rather a klebit bok, for what a name is worth :shrug:

Hi,

The shield is a klebit (shield)bok ( hair) so "hair shield", it isn't an Utap, The Utap is a smaller shield what was in use long time ago by the sea dayak.

The spirits are supernatural beings, in my opinion they are many eyed because they should protect the warrior. The many eyes could represent the protective power by visualizing the awareness of the figure through the eyes.
( the more eyes the more protection)

A almost similar example is on page 210 of Hein's work "Malerei und techinische kunste bei den dayak" an article what also on "my" last cd indeed.
The text is in german.
descripted as Schild der Kenyas im Sultanaat Kutai Sud Ost Borneo
( S.W.Tromp) Note that even the nose ( on the face on the frontside) seems to be the same style.

asomotif 9th November 2008 12:18 AM

Dayak shield / figures

1 Attachment(s)
Here a picture of a shield that has no real figures, but also has several sets of (protective) eyes.

Any other examples amongst the forumites ?

Royston 10th November 2008 12:51 PM

KLEBIT BOK

Gents

You are correct, it is a Klebit Bok. Thanks for that.

Asomotif. It has been a long time since someone has said that I have a " Nice Backside " So thanks for that as well !!

Arjan,

I will be in touch about the " Shiny Disc things " !!

Regards
Royston

Mytribalworld 10th November 2008 07:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Here a picture of a shield that has no real figures, but also has several sets of (protective) eyes.

Any other examples amongst the forumites ?

Well asomotif, not actyally a hair shield but maybe nice to see...

asomotif 10th November 2008 08:04 PM

Hi Arjan,

Nice shield too
A simple but nice backside :D :D :D

But(t) seriously, I often find the back of these shield more interesting than the front.

Mytribalworld 10th November 2008 09:10 PM

Quote:

Hi Arjan,

Nice shield too
A simple but nice backside :D :D :D

But(t) seriously, I often find the back of these shield more interesting than the front.

Yes, indeed the front is nothing special only some crossed figures,some stars etc...... :)