Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Are there issues in sending keris from Australia in big numbers (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25208)

Green 11th August 2019 05:53 PM

Are there issues in sending keris from Australia in big numbers

Dear freinds

I have items such as keris and other ethnographic arms sent to me from Australia to Malaysia without any problem. But this was always single item.

But what if one wants to bring in large number of items from australia, say about 15 in one shipment. Would there be any problems or special requirements?

If so, would it be better to split up the items and ship them in several batches?

Looking forward to your comments and suggestions

Thanks

Green/nik

A. G. Maisey 11th August 2019 10:27 PM

Nik, I think the problems might be at your end, rather than at the Australian end.

Your other problem could be with packing.

You will be using commercial packers and my bet is that they have no idea at all just how fragile a keris can be.

My packing will withstand a drop from a 24 story building.

How do I know?

Because going back around 30 years I tested it by dropping two or three packages with keris inside from a 24 story building --- actually from the roof of the building, which would make it 26 stories.

I suggest that you tell your packers to use at least double the quantity that they think is sufficient of big bubble wrap (ie, 20 -26mm), and use additional bubble wrap to line the box, and pack only two keris to the box.

In fact, for each keris I use a full two meters of bubble wrap that is about 4 - 6 inches longer than the keris, and the keris is already in a singep lined with foam before it gets packed.

RAMBA 12th August 2019 12:07 AM

Export out of Australia of goods valued over $2000 AUD requires export permit from customs. A shipping broker can sort that I think I paid $45.00. This caught me out as I was shipping a single item I sold for $2600 and insured it for that value - post office said i needed a export clearance number to put on the deceleration. I have done the paperwork myself but better to engage a broker. It is far quicker.

Green 12th August 2019 02:55 AM

Alan;

Many thanks ! please check my pm to you.
Ramba: Many thanks for the added info.

A. G. Maisey 12th August 2019 05:42 AM

Far easier to reduce total value by packing in smaller batches, or where the option exists, to consider other ways around the roadblock.

In my experience Australian customs brokers are all descendants of Ned Kelly.

The rule for sending anything at all internationally by post is to be legally honest in one's descriptions but at the same time to be just a whisker culturally obscure.

Anthony G. 13th August 2019 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green
Dear freinds

I have items such as keris and other ethnographic arms sent to me from Australia to Malaysia without any problem. But this was always single item.

But what if one wants to bring in large number of items from australia, say about 15 in one shipment. Would there be any problems or special requirements?

If so, would it be better to split up the items and ship them in several batches?

Looking forward to your comments and suggestions

Thanks

Green/nik

I was told by a Malaysian friend that getting keris import permit is long..............

Green 13th August 2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony G.
I was told by a Malaysian friend that getting keris import permit is long..............

I've been applying and obtaining permits from Malaysian authority for several years since many of my collection come from overseas/western sellers/dealers.

From my experience it takes about 1 -3 month.