Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hunting Bow from where? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27885)

kahnjar1 12th May 2022 10:45 AM

Hunting Bow from where?

4 Attachment(s)
This wooden bow just finished at auction here and I would like to know where it comes from. It appears to be a usable item rather than a decor piece. Size given was 115cm --(approx 45"). Maybe I should have pushed the price to get it, but as it is out of my field of expertise I decided not to bid up.
Pics are from the auction listing.
Stu

asomotif 12th May 2022 09:23 PM

Bows are not my field of collecting, but I have a feeling you did well by not bidding up on this one. :rolleyes:

ariel 13th May 2022 12:56 AM

:D

David R 13th May 2022 09:35 AM

Fantasy item, possibly a "larp" bow, but not usable in reality.

kahnjar1 13th May 2022 10:15 AM

Thanks gentlemen for the comments. As I suspected and why I did not bid up.
Stu

Sajen 13th May 2022 09:29 PM

Hi Stu,

This is not a fantasy bow, it's a pellet shot bow, used by hill tribes in Northern Thailand, Laos Montangard and Hmong. Made with a little basket on the bamboo string for putting small pellet stones and shots in, they are still in use in Thailand in some areas but this one is vintage.
Not my knowledge, a friend contacted me and informed me. ;)

Regards,
Detlef

Ian 14th May 2022 06:54 AM

Detlef is correct.These bows are like large slingshots and operate on the same principle. They can be very accurate and are good for taking down birds and small game. I've seen folks using them who can consistently hit a tin can at 40-50 yards with a half inch round pebble. Don't know what the upper limit of their range may be. There are versions also used in southern China.

Ren Ren 14th May 2022 09:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This hunting bow comes from North Vietnam

David 21st May 2022 05:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 271868)
Detlef is correct.These bows are like large slingshots and operate on the same principle. They can be very accurate and are good for taking down birds and small game. I've seen folks using them who can consistently hit a tin can at 40-50 yards with a half inch round pebble. Don't know what the upper limit of their range may be. There are versions also used in southern China.

I don't think this is a pellet bow as the string is not correct. Here are a couple of pellet bows and they use a double string.

David 21st May 2022 05:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of bows from the same area that seem to use arrows. Very similar to the original one shown in this thread. I'm not sure if they are wall hangers or not, but i suspect they may well be functional bows for small game.

Sajen 22nd May 2022 08:19 AM

Good possible David, like mentioned, it's not my knowledge, but I will ask my friend again. ;)