Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Unknown blade for me! (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25031)

Hombre 10th June 2019 11:12 AM

Unknown blade for me!

3 Attachment(s)
Got this blade in a lot and I wonder what it can be....
Any opinions at all very much appreciated...

Best,
Stefan
Sweden

kronckew 10th June 2019 02:16 PM

looks like a katchin dha/daab machete for westerners,like the chindits. The pommel probably had a brass plate on it that many westerners removed because the plate hurt their wrists when the used it the way westerners do, they also usually whittled or broke off the wood under the pointy bit that 'bit' them...They also preferred the leather scabbards. Nice jungle chopper knives.

Hombre 11th June 2019 03:54 AM

Thank you for the information, kronckew.... I really appreciate it!

Best,
Stefan
Sweden

kronckew 11th June 2019 08:16 AM

You're welcome.

I'd also guess the user added the lanyard hole. Personally I would be a bit leery of securing it to myself at the wrist and possibly dropping it & having a long razor flailing about near my tender self, but they do add a decorative touch. One can use a lanyard more securely if you use a technique a Policeman showed me for a baton where you loop it over your thumb and over the back of your hand as you grip, length adjusted to suit. This way in a melee if someone desperate grabs it & tries to pull you out of balance, you can let go & hit them with something else as they go off balance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbLaj3EBYlU

Ian 11th June 2019 08:31 AM

Hi Hombre. As Wayne has indicated this is a WWII "Chindit" machete of British design that was made in India for troops making excursions into Burma. I will look up the model number and post it here for your records.

If you search for "Chindit" on this site you will likely find similar examples. Good catch.

Ian

Ian 11th June 2019 08:44 AM

In Ron Flook's book "British and Commonwealth Military Knives," (1999) a close match to this machete is found in Plate 481. This is classified as a Mk III British klewang-style machete.

Hombre 12th June 2019 06:15 AM

I really appreciate your help, guys.... It is amazing! Thank you so very much.

Ian, I will be looking for Ron Flook's book "British and Commonwealth Military Knives. I have Ron Flook´s book "The London knife book" which is very interesting so I am sure this one will be very good too.

A Mk III British klewang-style machete. WoW!! I must admit that I haven´t even been close in my guessing!

I bow my head for you, guys! Again, thank you so very much!!

Best,
Stefan
Sweden

Ian 12th June 2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hombre

Ian, I will be looking for Ron Flook's book "British and Commonwealth Military Knives. I have Ron Flook´s book "The London knife book" which is very interesting so I am sure this one will be very good too.

A Mk III British klewang-style machete. WoW!! I must admit that I haven´t even been close in my guessing!

Best,
Stefan
Sweden

Hi Stefan.

Good luck with your search for that particular book. I picked up my copy a while back and it was going for $90 then. Now the price has rocketed and I have not seen one for less than $175 for a while.

Ian.

Ferguson 12th June 2019 03:03 PM

I think that may be an Assam Regiment Dao or a reproduction of one. They are a regiment of the Indian army. I posted one Here .

It is nearly identical to the Chindit machete, but is still part of the dress uniform of the Regiment. They carry them on the back of the belt so it is hard to find pictures, but I have seen them in videos.

Assam Regiment
Not to be confused with the Assam rifles, who carry khukris.

Steve

Hombre 12th June 2019 04:19 PM

Thank you so very much for the links, Steve! I really appreciate it!
It is funny.... Just bought a lot of blades because I wanted two Bowie knives and then found this one.... It is fun and it is very interesting to learn something new.... :)

Best,
Stefan
Sweden

thinreadline 15th June 2019 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hombre

Best,
Stefan
Sweden

Hi Stefan , I may well have a copy of the book coming to me in the next couple of weeks.

Hombre 15th June 2019 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinreadline
Hi Stefan , I may well have a copy of the book coming to me in the next couple of weeks.

I am interested but of course, it depends on the price... Please, let me know....

Best,
Stefan
Sweden