Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Silver Kampilan (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17237)

Battara 13th May 2013 03:19 AM

Silver Kampilan

5 Attachment(s)
Greetings Folks!

I just got this great silver kampilan. It is silver over wood. The orange parts are silver/copper (guard and braided grip). The pommel is more silvery made of low grade silver. The original eye on one side is the orange silver copper and on the other side a French silver coin (1914 - 1940) is used to replace the missing eye.

The blade is laminated. No scabbard.

I believe that this kampilan is Maranao based on the chased okir. Date? - perhaps mid - late 19th century, based on the workmanship.

When I got this piece it was totally black with oxidation. I also had to do some repair to the silver plates (I had to make my own tiny brass nails). The silver plates are not soldered together but pieced together with tiny silver and brass nails.

Enjoy!

Battara 13th May 2013 03:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The last 2 pictures.

Robert 13th May 2013 03:53 AM

:eek: WOW :eek: Now THAT is a Kampilan and then some. :cool: What else can I say, absolutely beautiful. Jealous does not even start to describe what I feel about looking at this.

Best,
Robert

kino 13th May 2013 05:12 AM

WOW!!! What a great looking Kampilan. First time for me in seeing a silver one. Years ago I was offered a copper clad Kamp, regrettably I didn't have the money back then to buy it.
Congrats on a very nice find... :)

CharlesS 13th May 2013 11:44 AM

I think this is the first one of these I have seen, and what a piece! I really like the detail to the silver and the way the parts have been individually crafted and come together so nicely. With the quality of the blade combined it seems most certainly a 19th century piece.

Gorgeous piece...and great karma that you found it after such recent collector's heartbreak.

Congrats!

VVV 13th May 2013 12:25 PM

Congrats!

I join the earlier cheering crowd.
It's the first silver kampilan I have seen, too, and it's a gorgeous piece.

Michael

Spunjer 13th May 2013 01:29 PM

Beautiful kampy, jose! a very rare piece that you don't see too often (only one other, and a partially silver covered handle). i just love the braided silver wire handle on this. i would put this type up there with the ivory and whalebone handle. congrats on acquiring this!!!

Sajen 13th May 2013 05:26 PM

Hello Jose,

only can repeat what the others have written already and i think that you have had the fortune to add it to your collection is a sign that there is a little bit justice in the world. ;)

Regards,

Detlef

carlos 13th May 2013 05:52 PM

Woooow !! One of the best kampilan I have ever seen !!
My congratulations to the new owner
Best regards
Carlos

manteris1 14th May 2013 12:57 AM

wow

jose, good for you.........................jimmy

Maurice 14th May 2013 01:02 AM

An amazing one of a kind kampy!!!

Congrats with this very rare find...

Maurice

Battara 15th May 2013 06:45 AM

Thank you folks! This was one item on my wish list for years.

David 15th May 2013 04:28 PM

I just HATE it....ummm....OK, not really....more like what everyone else has said... :o :D

Battara 6th August 2013 01:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I finally found the picture of the only other silver kampilan I have seen (it was in my archives). It belongs to Mabagani. Notice the detail of the kamp at the bottom of the first picture on the left, and the whole piece at the top of the closet above the armour on the second picture on the right.

mdp10003 6th August 2013 05:31 PM

Beautiful! cheers, Michael