Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Strange yataghan! Russian? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21090)

eftihis 10th February 2016 01:21 PM

Strange yataghan! Russian?

6 Attachment(s)
Hello, this is a yataghan with a strange looking handle! I havent seen anything like that before, but somehow the bronze metalwork after the handle, reminds me of something from eastern europe or Russia. What do you think?

Battara 10th February 2016 04:06 PM

What an interesting piece! Although not typically Balkan or Turkish, what in the hilt looks Russian in your sight (always wanting to learn more.....).

Thanks for posting this.

eftihis 10th February 2016 06:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
"Russian" is a wild guess! But i see some sort of resemplance with the "playful" metalwork that these 2 rusian scabbards have, and the "playful" type of metalwork in the ricasso.

David R 10th February 2016 09:19 PM

I would have a look under the search term "Pandour"! Starting within this forum.

mahratt 12th February 2016 08:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just an interesting fact.

In Russia, sometimes made yataghans as a curiosity. For example, known yataghan made ZOF (Zlatoust arms factory) in 1902.

estcrh 12th February 2016 11:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are two examples that appear to be Russian made, Hermitage museum I think.

Jim McDougall 12th February 2016 02:34 PM

Excellent call Dave!!!
The 'Pandours' were auxiliary units for the Austrians mid 18th c. and comprised on primarily Hungarian and Croatian troops . While in their 'irregular' capacity with various 'line' forces, they wore their own styles of uniforms and weapons, and the 'exotic' flamboyance became favored by the military of a number of European nations. This is primarily the instance which brought in many of these Balkan and Ottoman type weapons with distinct European flair, and in my opinion are some of the most fascinating and unusual examples.
While this cannot be classified as pandour with certainty, it certainly has profound potential in that accord.

Esterch, just wanted to note that your skills in locating and posting amazing comparative examples in these threads is almost phenomenal!! Thank you for adding this great and key dimension to these discussions :)

Mahratt, I thank you as well as you bring in examples and outstanding images of applicable photographs and art work.

You guys are totally amazing!!

estcrh 12th February 2016 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McDougall

Esterch, just wanted to note that your skills in locating and posting amazing comparative examples in these threads is almost phenomenal!! !

Thanks Jim, I did not see that Eftihis had already posted the two examples I posted, here is another one.

Jim McDougall 12th February 2016 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estcrh
Thanks Jim, I did not see that Eftihis had already posted the two examples I posted, here is another one.

I missed that too! Nice examples and Eftihis, thank you very much as well.
Its great to see these intriguing examples from Russia, and key to note how skilled they were in making various ethnographic weapon forms such as these.

estcrh 14th February 2016 04:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another Hermitage museum yatagan.

ariel 14th February 2016 05:32 AM

Is this one also Russian?

estcrh 14th February 2016 05:50 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel

I am not sure, the translation from Russian does not help much, what do you thing, it just looks a bit different.

Gavin Nugent 14th February 2016 05:55 AM

Quote:

I would say at face value, and without referring to museum notes, the one above Ariel was made in the Balkan states as a diplomatic gift to Russian nobility...but detail on the scabbard seems to be a non Balkan hand?

I suspect the one in discussion originally is perhaps closer to Spain that Russia.

Gavin

ariel 14th February 2016 06:14 AM

There was another Russian yataghan for sale at the last year (?)Auctions Imperial.
Personally, I never liked them: they are as yataghan-ish as Chassepot bayonets.
The last one here, with gold and blueing on the blade is essentially Russian military shashka with a recurved blade. It is showy and gaudy. You just look at it and there is a feeling that .. not quite...something off. Similar to the regulation Austrian ones. There is no "smell of the Orient"
Italian Labruna ones from Naples were closer to the original, but also not the same.

It's like Mameluke regulation sabers and Persian Shamshirs, or Chinese interpretations of European sabers, or Balkan-made variants of Caucasian kindjals , or Beduin "shashkas".

Perhaps, there is something to be said about spirits of ethnically- authentic masters:-)

ariel 14th February 2016 06:23 AM

Quote:

I would say at face value, and without referring to museum notes, the one above Ariel was made in the Balkan states as a diplomatic gift to Russian nobility...but detail on the scabbard seems to be a non Balkan hand?

I suspect the one in discussion originally is perhaps closer to Spain that Russia.

Gavin

-------------------------------------------

Are you referring to post #5?

There are snippets of legends, but the two readable ones refer to Abyssinian and Turkish origins. Perhaps, the desired legend was not included?

And the initial one in this topic does resemble the Labruna manufacture. Also... not quite:-)

estcrh 14th February 2016 08:09 AM

Quote:

Are you referring to post #5?

I think Gavin was referring to #12? I added the Russian description there anyway.

ariel 14th February 2016 01:32 PM

I was wondering what it was doing here: nothing Russian, typically authentic example.

estcrh 14th February 2016 02:11 PM

Quote:

I was wondering what it was doing here: nothing Russian, typically authentic example.

Do you know of another example like it, not the style but the design and quality of the metal work?

Rashka Vatnik 14th February 2016 04:18 PM

Not a Russian

ariel 14th February 2016 04:46 PM

I do not archive pics, so the answer is no, I do not.

It is a very classy work, but there are a lot of classy yataghans, many with European-influenced decoration ( chasing, mostly). General style, dolphin head, configuration of ears, sumptuous chasing, overall harmony and elegance... Ottoman :-)

estcrh 14th February 2016 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rashka Vatnik
Not a Russian

Quote:

Ottoman :-)

Can anyone translate the museums description from post #12?

ariel 14th February 2016 10:22 PM

"Yataghan with scabbard. Asia Minor. Beginning of XIX century" . The rest is irrelevant: materials, dimension, provenance , date of accession ( 1919, so likely confiscated from the collection of poor Mr. Chertkov)

estcrh 15th February 2016 03:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

"Yataghan with scabbard. Asia Minor. Beginning of XIX century" . The rest is irrelevant: materials, dimension, provenance , date of accession ( 1919, so likely confiscated from the collection of poor Mr. Chertkov)

It could be a diplomatic gift as Gavin mentioned, I personally have not seen this type of work on another example and I do have an extensive archive of images. Why would this be described as "Asia Minor" when another obviously Ottoman example from the same museum is described as being "Ottoman", what would the Russians consider Asian Minor to be?

ariel 15th February 2016 11:10 AM

No sense looking for some kind of deep meaning of "Asia Minor" vs. "Ottoman".
It is just a lack of uniformity, poor choice of words or faithful but thoughtless adherence to the terminology used on the original accession card.
Even more glaringly: it is described in Russian as a "Yataghan" while in English as a "Scimitar".

I have a pretty big book about Oriental sword collection from the Russian Ethnographic Museum with multiple misattributions, inaccuracies and just primitive mistakes . The publisher sesequently tried to explain them away simply by saying that : 1. They just blindly used the existing museum descriptions; 2. They had only a couple of months to prepare the catalog ; 3. Changing even the silliest error required lengthy bureaucratic process of approval by the museum bonzas; and 4. It is good enough for the masses.

In short, do not dwell on peculiarities of description. I do not remember who said that there is no need suspecting evil intent when just sheer stupidity would suffice:-)

Kubur 8th August 2016 09:02 AM

Hi,
I've seen this post yet.
For me your yataghan is from Tunisia.
I can see some similarities with Tunisian straigh daggers but also some pistols - I talk about the hilt / grips.
For the others yataghans (posts 3 & 6), I think they are diplomatic gifts between Algeria and Russia... They remind me some Algerian yataghans in the beautiful book that I forgot the title...
best,
Kubur