Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My last adquisitions, 2 kampilans! (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25492)

carlos 17th December 2019 11:34 AM

My last adquisitions, 2 kampilans!

7 Attachment(s)
There are my 2 last pieces I have bought.
2 kampilans, one with a beautiful wood sheath and another with a short blade

I hope enjoy pictures
Thanks
Carlos

Battara 18th December 2019 12:50 AM

What great examples Carlos!

The smaller one appears Ilanun and the larger one with a great, unique, and rare scabbard appears to be Maranao.

They seem to be in great condition. Try to clean and etch those blades to bring any patterns out. Also the "eyes" of the big kampilan need to be replaced.

Congratulations and thanks for posting!

CharlesS 18th December 2019 01:19 PM

Both lovely examples! Congrats! The scabbard is extraordinary!

Cthulhu 24th December 2019 12:04 AM

Nice examples!

Those are some elegant long spikes on the front, and great to have one with the horsehair intact.

The small one doesn't have any metal guard or even any holes where one would have been; is that a feature of Ilanun kampilans?

I like the detailing on the scabbard; is that painted/dyed into the wood, or is that carved? My kampilan's scabbard is faceted, but doesn't have any sort of decoration or detailing like that, just plain wood color, so that detailing on yours is really neat to see.

Battara 24th December 2019 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
The small one doesn't have any metal guard or even any holes where one would have been; is that a feature of Ilanun kampilans?

A good question. Yes this is a common feature of Ilanun kampilans.

carlos 25th December 2019 08:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
No holes in the hilt of the short kampilan
In the sheath of the large kampilan I can see a little engraved.

QUOTE=Cthulhu]Nice examples!

Those are some elegant long spikes on the front, and great to have one with the horsehair intact.

I like the detailing on the scabbard; is that painted/dyed into the wood, or is that carved? My kampilan's scabbard is faceted, but doesn't have any sort of decoration or detailing like that, just plain wood color, so that detailing on yours is really neat to see.[/QUOTE]

Battara 25th December 2019 08:27 PM

Yes this is how it is indeed done - paint and then carved.

Now these triangles are a young plant motif (I forgot the plant it comes from).

What I find interesting is the metal clamps on one side of the scabbard keep it together while the other side is an open slit for the blade to slide out.

GIO 28th December 2019 08:32 AM

Compared with other kampilans, the hilt of the big one seems reversed. I am no expert at all and would like to know if there is a rule about placing these hilts. Thanks

Battara 28th December 2019 10:49 PM

Good eye GIO. I missed that. You're right, the Ilanun kampilan hilt is backwards.

Also, Carlos, it is great to have a scabbard with this, never mind it being in such great condition. Usually these scabbards have been thrown away or are otherwise missing.

kai 29th December 2019 11:58 AM

Quote:

Good eye GIO. I missed that. You're right, the Ilanun kampilan hilt is backwards.
You got it backwards, Jose... ;)

Regards,
Kai

kai 29th December 2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Now these triangles are a young plant motif (I forgot the plant it comes from).
AFAIK, the default usually is young bamboo shoots.

Regards,
Kai

kai 29th December 2019 12:06 PM

Hello Carlos,

That's 2 interesting examples. Did you obtain any details on provenance, etc.?

The scabbard looks quite a bit younger than the kampilan; seems to be nicely engineered though! How easy it is to push the blade out through the front side vs. securely retaining it inside during carrying?

Thanks!

Regards,
Kai

carlos 29th December 2019 05:58 PM

Hello
The illanun kampilan came from a seller of Belgium.
The kampilan with sheath I have bought in Spain, but I dont have more information.
The kampilan with sheath fits perfectly sword with sheath.
Thanks
Carlos

Battara 29th December 2019 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kai
You got it backwards, Jose... ;)

Regards,
Kai

AAAHHHHH!!!!

I meant the Maranao kampilan!

By the way, if any of you find marbles on the floor, just put them in a bag and send them back to me. I keep losing mine. 🤨