Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bandolier for Identification (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25355)

Lee 15th October 2019 03:30 PM

Bandolier for Identification
 
4 Attachment(s)
Received in my e-mail with a request for identification of origin and age

Mercenary 15th October 2019 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know nothing about it but I see my favorite ornamentation! It was usual for Caucasus in 19th and much earlier for another regions of Asia. I like it.
And later in Russia. I am happy, thanks a lot!

corrado26 15th October 2019 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here a foto of a nice collection of these caps
corrado26

Kubur 15th October 2019 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26
Here a foto of a nice collection of these caps
corrado26


Nice Caucasians!

Kubur 15th October 2019 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Received in my e-mail with a request for identification of origin and age


For this one, I will let Ibrahiim answering to your question...
I'm very jealous!!

Ren Ren 15th October 2019 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary
I know nothing about it but I see my favorite ornamentation! It was usual for Caucasus in 19th and much earlier for another regions of Asia. I like it.
And later in Russia. I am happy, thanks a lot!

This item is not from the Caucasus or from Russia.
But I also see in him the influence of Turkic and Slavic traditions. I would venture to suggest Bulgaria or Serbia.

TVV 15th October 2019 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ren
This item is not from the Caucasus or from Russia.
But I also see in him the influence of Turkic and Slavic traditions. I would venture to suggest Bulgaria or Serbia.


I do not see anything Balkan in this item. I am with Kubur on this one - I think it is from Southern Arabia.

Teodor

kahnjar1 15th October 2019 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
I do not see anything Balkan in this item. I am with Kubur on this one - I think it is from Southern Arabia.

Teodor

Not Arabian IMHO
Stu

Kubur 15th October 2019 08:34 PM

Agreed Stu, not Arabian
But maybe Omani???
:)

kahnjar1 16th October 2019 01:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Agreed Stu, not Arabian
But maybe Omani???
:)

Not Omani IMHO. Here is a pic of an Omani bandolier. Note that the stoppers are leather/fibre rather than metal caps. My thinking is the Balkans somewhere.
Hopefully Rick will come in on this one..............
Stu

ariel 16th October 2019 02:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is unquestionably Oriental, most likely Islamic.
Artzi has a somewhat similar one ( see pic) attributed to the Ottomans.
I would put this one farther East: Afghanistan or Central Asia.

Mercenary 16th October 2019 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Afghanistan or Central Asia.

Highly likely. Similar ornamentation was also used there.

ariel 16th October 2019 12:15 PM

And pierced metal borders of the holder ( first pic). Afghanis loved this element of decoration and used it widely.

Kubur 16th October 2019 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
And pierced metal borders of the holder ( first pic). Afghanis loved this element of decoration and used it widely.


Ariel it's time to change your glasses, there is no pierced metal borders, it's the sewing...

And I disagree Afghan bandouliers are not like that, Rick and I posted some on the forum...

ariel 16th October 2019 09:33 PM

Look at the very first pic. Pierced metal.

kahnjar1 17th October 2019 01:53 AM

I don't see pierced metal either. What I see is pierced leather with the stitching missing.
Stu

ariel 17th October 2019 05:33 AM

Looks like shiny metal border to me.
Maybe, I do need new glasses...
We can ask Lee to verify it with the owner.

Kubur: I cannot recall your earlier post about Afghani bandoliers.

Kubur 17th October 2019 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Looks like shiny metal border to me.
Maybe, I do need new glasses...
We can ask Lee to verify it with the owner.

Kubur: I cannot recall your earlier post about Afghani bandoliers.


here all the Afghan kamar

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showt...fghan+cartridge

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showt...ght=afghan+belt

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showt...ght=afghan+belt

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showt...ght=afghan+belt

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showt...ght=afghan+belt

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showt...ght=afghan+belt

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showt...ght=afghan+belt

As you can see they have nothing to do with the one posted above... IMHO

fernando 17th October 2019 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
I don't see pierced metal either. What I see is pierced leather with the stitching missing.
Stu

No doubt :cool:.

Ren Ren 17th October 2019 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
here all the Afghan kamar
As you can see they have nothing to do with the one posted above... IMHO

I completely agree. Thanks for these links, Kubur.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 17th October 2019 03:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
For this one, I will let Ibrahiim answering to your question...
I'm very jealous!!



THESE APPEAR TO BE Omani . The design style confirms this in the silver caps>>> Omanisilver.com illustrate Othmanli links and there other similar structures from the east and bamboo containers seen carried in a bag perhaps attached to a belt or carried separately. The same designs are seen on Omani rings and bangles and a similar type of cap is used on Ladies Kohl containers. Often the metal container is multi sided like the Islamic Minarette The cap itself is shaped like the Mosque Dome.

HERE ILLUSTRATED THOSE Multi sided containers from http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showt...MANI+MATCHLOCKS

Dome topped kohl containers complete the trio...below

ariel 17th October 2019 11:38 PM

That's more likely.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:57 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.