Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Afghan Pesh Kabz for comment (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28894)

Bob A 29th May 2023 12:00 AM

Afghan Pesh Kabz for comment

4 Attachment(s)
I picked this up in Timonium this spring; seller was adamant that it was 18th century, though I don't know on what he based his attribution. The niello work on the sheath is obviously a later addition. I've included a close-up pf the sheath, to show that under its leather, there's a double loop of red twine; under the niello, there's evidence of a bit of copper wire, probably a repair.

The scales are wood, which seem to have been painted black.

I'd be glad to include more pictures of similarly poor quality if anyone thinks it would be of use.

Attachment 227124

Attachment 227125

Attachment 227126

Attachment 227127

Rick 29th May 2023 12:07 AM

Can you show us a picture of the knife in its scabbard Bob. Idle curiosity I guess, but it's another bit of information that might help.

Bob A 29th May 2023 05:22 AM

Sure, when daylight returns. I'll also try to photograph the interface of blade and hilt; I'm having some trouble comprehending the construction details, and how it all comes together.

Bob A 29th May 2023 06:10 PM

6 Attachment(s)
More pics

Ren Ren 29th May 2023 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob A (Post 282281)
Sure, when daylight returns. I'll also try to photograph the interface of blade and hilt; I'm having some trouble comprehending the construction details, and how it all comes together.

Can be connected with silver solder?

Rick 30th May 2023 07:49 PM

Two things I find puzzling are the tapered notches at the base of the scales where they meet the bolster. The other feature is the feathery looking engraving on each side of the blade where the filing on the spine ends. First thing that came to my mind was the marks you find on a dipstick to tell you the level of the oil in your car.

In this case when the blade reaches this mark your opponent is dead. (jk) ;)

Bob A 30th May 2023 10:16 PM

Yeah, the little marks on the blade puzzled me; on first glance I thought "forging flaw" but they're symmetrical and identical on each side; so, deliberate.

A look at the scales makes me wonder whether they were caused by the original mouth of the sheath, since replaced with the niello overlay.

I still have no clue why the seller was so adamant about "18th century".

mariusgmioc 1st June 2023 09:28 PM

It may be the case that the blade is wootz. Maybe it is worth checking.

The blade is almost certainly North Indian and I believethe hilt and scabbard were replaced.