Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   small/court sword for comment and restoration tips (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23112)

shayde78 9th September 2017 05:37 AM

small/court sword for comment and restoration tips

6 Attachment(s)
Hello forumites!

I am asking for your opinions on how best to address the fragile condition of the tip of this newly acquired smallsword/court sword. The pictures show the corrosion near the tip, and the oxidation along the entire blade. There is scrollwork along the first third, but it is hard to see, and harder to photograph.

Also, I would love to learn how to determine the country of origin for such a piece. I think it is consistent with late 1700s examples. Of course, I always have anxiety something is a reproduction, so feel free to tell me the truth if you question authenticity. As I said in a previous thread, if I got ripped off, it is merely tuition for my education.

Total length is just shy of 36 inches.

Thank you for sharing some measure of your hard earned knowledge.

Best,
-Rob

M ELEY 10th September 2017 09:37 AM

This is a dress-type small sword dating from late 18th/early 19th. Although small swords were falling out of fashion by the first quarter of the 1800's, many of the Germanic states were still using these types, with simple brass cast hilts often with poor or at best fair details in their casting. The hilt on yours is better than many I've seen.

Cleaning methods vary and undoubtedly, many of us have our own opinions. I personally would start with some very fine grit sandpaper, 400 grit, and some olive oil. Holding the grip, grip oiled blade firmly with paper and run it down length towards point without putting any pressure on tip to bend or break it.

corrado26 10th September 2017 11:38 AM

9 Attachment(s)
I think the style and decoration of this sword is probably of Austrian origin. Look at the Fotos of two Austrian cadet swords
corrado26

shayde78 10th September 2017 08:15 PM

Thank you for the comments so far.
Regarding the Austrian cadet swords, if you look at the blade cross section of my piece (shown in the 5th picture), you will see the blade is never rectangular. It begins as ovoid (is that a word?) at the ricasso, then transitions to a hexagonal cross section for the rest of the length. This seems different than the examples shared and was what made me think it was solidly dated to the 18th century, although I fully acknowledge my estimation of such things is based upon my gut, and not any actual experience.

M ELEY 10th September 2017 09:14 PM

Great catch, Corrado. At least my 'Germanic states' wasn't too far off.

Rob, the shape of the blade usually isn't a determinant of age with these. Looking back over the pics, though, I would lean more towards the 1790-1800 timeline due to the sword's vestigial pas d'ane and also the pommel 'button' capstan where the tang passes through the hilt. This feature died out at the turn of the 19th c. Again, an interesting piece-

corrado26 11th September 2017 04:42 PM

The Rokoko-decoration of these two sword is IMO a little bit earlier: Both are typical for the time of Maria Theresia Queen of Hungary and sovereign of the Holy Roman Empire 1740 to 1780
corrado26

shayde78 13th September 2017 06:41 PM

Thanks everyone. I think we're settling on the last quarter of the 18th century given structural details (pas d'ane, pommel button) and the decorative elements. All with a likely Austrian origin.

Thanks so much. I love to get an accurate tag on my items, both for my own sake, and in case something happens to me :eek: , my wife will know what she's actually dealing with.

You all are the best!