Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Japanese Matchlock (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24283)

Battara 15th September 2018 06:44 PM

Japanese Matchlock

6 Attachment(s)
Greetings,

Our local Speed Museum got upgraded and I found somethings not displayed before, like this Japanese matchlock.

Battara 15th September 2018 06:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And more:

fernando 16th September 2018 10:41 AM

Beautiful :cool: . How i dream of having one of these :shrug: .

Mel H 17th September 2018 11:37 AM

That is nice, makes you wonder what else these museums have hidden in their cellars.

corrado26 17th September 2018 01:16 PM

7 Attachment(s)
and here a very small miniature of a Japanese matchlock pistol. Hope you like it.
corrado26

rickystl 23rd September 2018 04:50 PM

Hi Battara

Don't know how I missed this Thread earlier. I don't recall ever seeing a more beautiful Teppo Matchlock as this one. An absolute screamer. The harmony of the decoration is incredable. The brass lock has taken on a wonderful age patina. And the barrel: Imagine how long it would have taken to forge this barrel and chisil the muzzle end. Incredible. There is probably some Japanese writing/signature on the breech end of the barrel. Unfortunately, it's usually located on one of the lower flats of the barrel covered up by the stock. The barrel would have to be removed to read the script. But on this gun, I would be hesitant to remove anything. LOL Wish it was on it's way to my house. LOL
Thanks for posting this beauty.

Hi Corrado: How Cute !! I believe that's the smallest one I've ever seen. LOL
Really tiny. The wood stock, from the photos, looks to be old. I remember reading somewhere that these very small pistols were not actually made for use, but suspended from a waist belt as a sign of rank/stature. But a Japanese arms expert would be better to verify this. Very cool. Nice piece for your collection.

Rick

BANDOOK 24th September 2018 08:54 AM

HI Rick
Yes these small are netsukes work with the Inro with traditional japenese costumes.there are few on ebay for sale
regards
rajesh

BANDOOK 24th September 2018 09:31 AM

11 Attachment(s)
That's a beautiful Teppo Battara.i own 3 in my collection but this is my favourite
regards
Rajesh

rickystl 24th September 2018 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BANDOOK
HI Rick
Yes these small are netsukes work with the Inro with traditional japenese costumes.there are few on ebay for sale
regards
rajesh

Hi Bandook

OK. Yes, I thought I read that somewhere. Also part of traditional costumes.
Thanks for confirming.

Rick

rickystl 24th September 2018 02:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANDOOK
That's a beautiful Teppo Battara.i own 3 in my collection but this is my favourite
regards
Rajesh

Hi Bandook

Very nice Teppo indeed. I really like the the engraved brass wrap-around on this one. And again, the pronounced muzzle. A good one.

My only Teppo is a plain, munitions grade example. I intentionally wanted this more plain one for a shooter. It has a steel liner in the original barrel.

Rick

BANDOOK 25th September 2018 10:28 AM

Thanks Rick
Nice Tanegashima and like all you guns I am aware you restore them to functional shooting standards
I like the powder flask which goes with it.The cannon like barrel am sure did lots of harm when the samurai warriors used it
Regards
Rajesh