Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Can anyone help identify this knife? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28203)

tool_of_a_took 7th September 2022 11:10 PM

Can anyone help identify this knife?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys, I recently won this knife at auction. I’m trying to find out where it came from and how old it is. I’m guessing it’s most likely a tourist piece, but I’ve never seen another one like it and I really like the design.

This was the description on the lot: “African tribal knife, possibly Shona Zimbabwe, the 22cm steel blade with all over punched decoration and antler handle; in inlaid and banded hardwood scabbard with two apertures L42cm overall.”

Done a bit of research using keywords from this description but not found anything yet. Anyone have any idea?

JeffS 8th September 2022 12:13 PM

From Cambodia before Khmer Rouge. Yes, tourist market.

Ren Ren 8th September 2022 10:44 PM

The muntjac deer antler hilt clearly directs our search to Indochina. They were very fond of using in their practices the shamans of the mountain peoples. But in this case, I agree with JeffS' opinion that this is a tourist item from Cambodia.

tool_of_a_took 8th September 2022 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ren Ren (Post 274910)
The muntjac deer antler hilt clearly directs our search to Indochina. They were very fond of using in their practices the shamans of the mountain peoples. But in this case, I agree with JeffS' opinion that this is a tourist item from Cambodia.

Awesome, thanks guys, I never would’ve guessed Cambodia

kronckew 9th September 2022 08:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
See also: Ankor Wat

Khmer knives from Angkor Wat made of wood and metal. Single-edged with tapering point. Incised on both sides with decorative motifs; with a white metal ferrule and a black hilt, probably of horn, inlaid with white metal dots. In a black wooden sheath with an aperture, with white metal dot inlay and three bands; belt clip. Probably a tourist item. Knife: 210mm long; blade 140mm long; sheath 150mm long.

tool_of_a_took 9th September 2022 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew (Post 274920)

Khmer knives from Angkor Wat made of wood and metal. Single-edged with tapering point. Incised on both sides with decorative motifs; with a white metal ferrule and a black hilt, probably of horn, inlaid with white metal dots. In a black wooden sheath with an aperture, with white metal dot inlay and three bands; belt clip. Probably a tourist item. Knife: 210mm long; blade 140mm long; sheath 150mm long.

Spot on. I’m finding loads of examples now I have the right keywords. Thanks for the info

Ren Ren 9th September 2022 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew (Post 274920)

Thanks kronckew! Good example!

JeffS 10th September 2022 03:13 AM

I don't have a photo, but my mother in law purchased one (with antler) as a tourist at Angkor Wat in 1969, nearly identical to OP example.