Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Another Luzon bolo with carved horn handle (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19925)

Sajen 2nd May 2015 01:31 PM

Another Luzon bolo with carved horn handle

12 Attachment(s)
Have had this Luzon bolo long on my watch list and have given some offers to the seller, at last we have found a price which was for both of us acceptable. The nice carved horn handle shows a ram and I think that this is a little bit unusual since I never have seen such a handle before. The sword is 24" overall and the blade is 9/32" thick at the base.
How you would call this sword? Itak, matulis? What you think is the exact origin on Luzon? Age? All comments are very welcome.
Here the pictures from the seller.

Sajen 4th May 2015 05:39 PM

Nearly 100 views and no comment? :shrug: Is it so bad? :rolleyes:

VANDOO 4th May 2015 10:25 PM

ITS NOT SO BAAAAD. :D IT MUST HAVE SLIPPED THRU THE CRACKS AS SOMETIMES HAPPENS ON THE FORUM AND ELSEWHERE. IM MY EXPERIENCE IT IS VERY UNUSUAL TO HAVE A RAMS HEAD ON A KNIFE FROM THE PHILIPPINES. I THINK THEY DO HAVE GOATS BUT NO SHEEP AS FAR AS I KNOW. IT COULD HAVE BEEN MADE TO ORDER FOR A FOREIGNER OR JUST A DESIGN BORROWED FROM SOMETHING A LOCAL HAD SEEN? THE WORKMANSHIP IS GOOD AND IT LOOKS LIKE A HIGH QUALITY KNIFE FROM MAKERS IN LUZON. AT ANY RATE I LIKE IT. :)

Sajen 4th May 2015 10:55 PM

Thank you for your mercy Barry! :D
It's exactly what I think byself, it's very unusual to see a rams head by a Luzon bolo, I don't think to have seen one before. My personal guess would be Batangas for the origin of this bolo but I could be very well wrong. :shrug:

Regards,
Detlef

Battara 4th May 2015 11:46 PM

Sorry Detlef. Just scratching my head, that's all...... :confused:

Rick 5th May 2015 12:17 AM

The original owner was an Aries ??? ;) :D

Robert 5th May 2015 04:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm an Aries so that would be me. Please send the sword ASAP you know the address. :D Wonderful sword Detlef.

Best,
Robert

Sajen 5th May 2015 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick
The original owner was an Aries ??? ;) :D

:D :D

Sajen 5th May 2015 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
Sorry Detlef. Just scratching my head, that's all...... :confused:

You are not alone Jose! ;) Do you have a guess about the origin?

Regards,
Detlef

Sajen 5th May 2015 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert
I'm an Aries so that would be me. Please send the sword ASAP you know the address. :D Wonderful sword Detlef.

Best,
Robert

Thank you Robert, it will be soon in your hands! ;) :D

Regards,
Detlef