Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why do you collect ethnographic weapons redux (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7997)

migueldiaz 27th December 2008 07:23 AM

Why do you collect ethnographic weapons redux

Having accepted Ariel's dictum that "any collecting is a form of insanity" :D I searched the forum for the most prevalent cause/s of this affliction ;)

I was looking for an earlier poll but didn't find any. Thus this poll, for your kind participation, please :)

The two most interesting related thread I found by the way are Vandoo's Different levels of collecting, and Antonio Cejunior's A sociological and anthropological question.

Thanks for participating!

migueldiaz 2nd January 2009 10:37 PM

Just bumping up the post, to try and have a few more respondents.

Thanks again to all those who have participated!

trenchwarfare 3rd January 2009 06:08 AM

How about, All of the above? At least one or more of these questions can be answered within any of my many collections. M.P.

katana 3rd January 2009 06:57 PM

Hi Miguel,
I too would not be able to say by 'ticking' one 'box' ....it is a combination of many.... Would it be better/ or possible to answer each 'suggested reason' by priority (from the point of view of each individual)....

Regards David

migueldiaz 5th January 2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenchwarfare
How about, All of the above? At least one or more of these questions can be answered within any of my many collections.

Quote:

Originally Posted by katana
I too would not be able to say by 'ticking' one 'box' ....it is a combination of many.... Would it be better/ or possible to answer each 'suggested reason' by priority (from the point of view of each individual)....

Hello M.P. and David,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

Unfortunately, the bulletin board software of the forum (or any other forum for that matter I think) can only have a maximum of 10 choices. If an 11th option were possible, we could have added "All of the above".

Of course the other option would be to tick off all the 'boxes', as some have done, given that multiple answers are allowed. I realize though that this is inconvenient.

Before posting this poll, I've also thought of having as choices a predetermined set of criteria, with different ranking of the various criteria per 'box'. But it was becoming unwieldy, so I thought we can just settle for a more simplistic approach.

Notwithstanding the said limitations, I think however that the results have already captured the psyche of the ethnic weapon collector.

I guess we knew this all along, except that this time we would like to do some quantification, which is now apparent.

Thanks again for the comments, and to all those who participated!

migueldiaz 5th January 2009 10:25 AM

It is also noticeable that very few said that our collection is for "investment purposes", which is really the prevailing sentiment (i.e., that we collect not primarily to make money off it).

I wonder though whether the survey results would be the same if we are to answer the poll with our spouse behind our back? :) I'm almost sure that the "investment" option will blip! :D

But then my wife also tells me that she buys jewelry as an "investment". I guess we can just call it quits then. ;)