Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Lion Navaja (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24564)

Mel H 29th December 2018 03:15 PM

Lion Navaja

1 Attachment(s)
Hello All, just picked up a reasonably sized, elderly Navaja with a lion trademark on the blade. I'm hoping that someone here who has more knowledge of these knives may be able to tell me something about the maker.

I have some pic's of the knife which I'll put up when I've reduced the image sizes.

Mel H 29th December 2018 03:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More pic's.
Overall length open is 32 cm (12.6 inch) with 15 cm (6 inch) blade.

fernando 29th December 2018 03:29 PM

A French mark for sure. Maybe not famous, though; not listed in Forton's work.
Let us then see the whole piece, Mel :cool: .

Mel H 29th December 2018 04:14 PM

Fernando, thank you for pointing me in the right direction, I've now done a little searching. It seems that Au Lion did have a moment of fame, they contracted to produce the first U.S. mod 1918 trench knives ( now much sought after ), there doesn't seem to be a lot of information on the maker.

MacCathain 29th December 2018 05:05 PM

Au Lion is the trademark of R. V. Cruege of Bordeaux (Gironde), per The Who's Who of French Arms from 1350 to 1970 by Jean-Jacques Buigné.

Mel H 29th December 2018 06:57 PM

Thank you.

Chris Evans 30th December 2018 01:30 AM

Hi Folks,

Great detective work and Happy new Year everybody!

Cheers
Chris

kronckew 30th December 2018 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd stick a ~1 in. solid or split key ring thru the hole to help raising the lock, like mine:

Mel H 30th December 2018 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like these knives, I have some other larger old ones. I've got a some split spring rings in my toolbox but they're brand new and don't look quite right, I'll keep an eye open for one with some age and patina.

Here's one of my older Navajas.

Chris Evans 31st December 2018 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel H
I like these knives, I have some other larger old ones. I've got a some split spring rings in my toolbox but they're brand new and don't look quite right, I'll keep an eye open for one with some age and patina.

Here's one of my older Navajas.

Now. that's a really nice and colectable piece - Congratulations!

Cheers
Chris

fernando 31st December 2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew
... I'd stick a ~1 in. solid or split key ring thru the hole to help raising the lock, like mine:...

Quote:

... I've got a some split spring rings in my toolbox but they're brand new and don't look quite right ...

Some detail Wayne doesn't seem to mind of, though !

kronckew 31st December 2018 01:41 PM

Mine have the rings they came with, the Okapi and Kudo ones are recent tho. The others are older, the small one is quite old. The other is one made in Germany before they licensed them to South Africa to become the Okapi.

cookyboy1 31st December 2018 06:35 PM

Navaja

6 Attachment(s)
I have a navaja which might have a lion mark on the blade,thought you might like to see it.if it's not the same as the lion navaja perhaps you could identify it for me .thanks

Rick 31st December 2018 07:28 PM

Quote:

I've got a some split spring rings in my toolbox but they're brand new and don't look quite right, I'll keep an eye open for one with some age and patina.

Patina can be achieved on steel by a day or two soak in a thick paste made with instant coffee.

kronckew 31st December 2018 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick
Patina can be achieved on steel by a day or two soak in a thick paste made with instant coffee.

Add a dash of hydrogen peroxide to jazz it up.

Mel H 31st December 2018 08:48 PM

I've already dropped a couple into a damp flower pot in the garden, it'll probably do the job in a couple of weeks but you can never be sure with modern spring steels.

fernando 31st December 2018 09:27 PM

Amazing ! why not spending a few more bucks and buy the real antique thing, instead of testing these alchemist schemes ? :rolleyes: :eek: .

Mel H 31st December 2018 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernando
Amazing ! why not spending a few more bucks and buy the real antique thing, instead of testing these alchemist schemes ? :rolleyes: :eek: .

Referring back to my earlier post, I did say I'll keep an eye open for one with some age and patina. It's not a great priority at the moment. ( I'm just in the process of opening a new bottle of single malt to help bring in the New Year in quarter of an hour or so ) :)
Best wishes to all.

Lee 1st January 2019 04:27 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Lew had quite a collection of these as well, both old and new:

RobertGuy 1st January 2019 08:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Back to the original question the Au Lion ( Au Lion/Société Généralee) was also contracted to produce the first batches of 1918 trench knives for thUS Army in WW1.

And Happy New Year to all :)

fernando 1st January 2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookyboy1
I have a navaja which might have a lion mark on the blade,thought you might like to see it.if it's not the same as the lion navaja perhaps you could identify it for me .thanks

Difficult to read the mark on your navaja, cookyboy1. Could you improve the pictures; or tell us what are those letters ?

fernando 1st January 2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

... ( I'm just in the process of opening a new bottle of single malt to help bring in the New Year in quarter of an hour or so ) :) ...

I did it with a bottle of chilled Spanish Cava ;).

Happy new year :cool:.