Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Miscellania (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Not an arm or armour, but maybe you can help (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20744)

AHorsa 21st November 2015 10:43 AM

Not an arm or armour, but maybe you can help

2 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I just received this french ground find. Diameter is 4cm and it seems to be made of bronze. It is showing the counterfeit of a 17th cent. person. Does anyone of you have an idea what this could be/was used for?

Cheers
Andreas

Jim McDougall 21st November 2015 04:04 PM

Maybe posting this in the 'miscellania' forum might be better suited ?

kronckew 21st November 2015 05:29 PM

belt plate? horse harness decoration (horse brass)?

kahnjar1 21st November 2015 06:38 PM

Maybe a seal for using with sealing wax? Frankly I have no idea but just a suggestion.
Stu

A. G. Maisey 21st November 2015 09:01 PM

disregard

A Senefelder 21st November 2015 09:30 PM

I have no idea what this is but thought it odd that the two holes were punched from opposite sides, one punched front to back, one punched back to front ( as shown by the remnants of the cone created by driving a sharp implement through the metal ).

Oliver Pinchot 22nd November 2015 01:04 AM

Appears to depict Leopold I Holy Roman Emperor (1640-1705)
also knows as "Hogmouth" for his distinctive Habsburg chin.

AHorsa 24th November 2015 07:58 PM

Thanks for the answers!
Yes, those holes seem to be drilled unprofessional through the metal. VBut in old times before it landed in the ground.
@ Oliver: Possible, but I´m afraid the many noble persons of this time looked like that.

There is a rest of some connection or the like left on the left side (picture of the back). Maybe this can give a hint...

Thanks and best regards
Andreas

Dave T. 3rd December 2015 12:49 AM

"...thought it odd that the two holes were punched from opposite sides, one punched front to back, one punched back to front ( as shown by the remnants of the cone created by driving a sharp implement through the metal )."

I think I see the reason for the holes coming from different directions. The design on the disc is repousse work, where the thin metal is hammered from the back side to create a raised design. If one tried to drill or punch a hole where there was a hollow under the thin metal it would distort the design. You would flip the piece whichever way would put the thin metal directly against a firm backing surface (like a block of wood or lead) before you tried to punch a hole at that spot. The hole on the left was in a depressed area of the design, so it could be punched without flipping the disc onto its face.