Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nulla Nulla from NSW ? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14965)

katana 26th January 2012 02:07 PM

Nulla Nulla from NSW ?

3 Attachment(s)
Recently bought this nulla nulla, probably early 20thC , but could be later.

Nulla nulla's differing designs seem to be regional. As hunter/gatherers, they did not want to carry unnecessary weight. These clubs were multi functional as a hand weapon, throwing club, digging stick, crusher/pounder for orche and food preparation etc. Lightness of materials was also a requirement ....which brings me back to this particular club.....it is incredibly light, but very, very strong and hard. The diamond shaped end is slightly flattened to give a thinner striking edge and would certainly cause injury. To test the hardness I have hit my anvil (progressively increasing power) and it made the anvil ring :eek: with no damage to the wood :cool:

What is this wood :confused: ......weighs a little more than balsa but seems to have the strength of oak . It is tight grained and looks similar to mahogany but is a mid brown colour.

All comments gratefully received

David

thinreadline 26th January 2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katana
Recently bought this nulla nulla, probably early 20thC , but could be later.

Nulla nulla's differing designs seem to be regional. As hunter/gatherers, they did not want to carry unnecessary weight. These clubs were multi functional as a hand weapon, throwing club, digging stick, crusher/pounder for orche and food preparation etc. Lightness of materials was also a requirement ....which brings me back to this particular club.....it is incredibly light, but very, very strong and hard. The diamond shaped end is slightly flattened to give a thinner striking edge and would certainly cause injury. To test the hardness I have hit my anvil (progressively increasing power) and it made the anvil ring :eek: with no damage to the wood :cool:

What is this wood :confused: ......weighs a little more than balsa but seems to have the strength of oak . It is tight grained and looks similar to mahogany but is a mid brown colour.

All comments gratefully received

David

Pretty hard to say unless its in my hand but looks like Grevillea ( Australian Silk Oak ) .. that is whitish when cut but quickly oxidises to that lovely red colour like mahoghany . It is also known to be hard but lightweight. However .. and this may be relevant .. it is native to the Eastern coastal areas of Australia.

katana 27th January 2012 12:31 AM

Hi Richmond :) ,
thanks for the suggestion.......most clubs/knobkerries I have come across are highly dense woods making them both heavy and strong. To find this 'lightweight' club, to be so hard, has been a revelation ....and counter intuitive

Best
David

thinreadline 27th January 2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katana
Hi Richmond :) ,
thanks for the suggestion.......most clubs/knobkerries I have come across are highly dense woods making them both heavy and strong. To find this 'lightweight' club, to be so hard, has been a revelation ....and counter intuitive

Best
David

Well finally , being a horticulturist has paid off !