Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   CARVING VARIATIONS ON OCEANIC CLUBS (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11507)

VANDOO 19th February 2010 05:58 PM

CARVING VARIATIONS ON OCEANIC CLUBS

5 Attachment(s)
CARVINGS ON OCEANIC CLUBS OCCUR IN QUITE A FEW VARIATIONS DEPENDING ON THE TYPE CLUB, TRIBE AND REGION. I WILL ADD SOME PIC'S OF SOME VARIATIONS OF CHIP CARVING PATTERNS FOUND ON FIJI CLUB HANDLES AND TRY AND EXPAND TO OTHER DESIGNS LATER. ANYONE FEEL FREE TO JUMP IN AND ADD ANY OTHER VARIATIONS AND INFORMATION.
THREE OF THESE PICTURES ARE OF FIJI BOWAI POLE CLUB HANDLES AND TWO ARE OF THE SMALLER ULA CLUBS MADE FOR THROWING. THESE CARVINGS ON THE HANDLE ARE COMMON ON FIJI BOWAI AND ULA CLUBS BUT NOT PRESENT ON MANY OTHER TYPES.NOT ALL FIJI CLUBS HAVE CARVED DESIGNS ON THE HANDLES A LOT OF THEM WERE ORIGINALLY WRAPPED IN FIBER THAT OFTEN INCORPORATED TRIBAL DESIGNS.

Tim Simmons 19th February 2010 07:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Good idea Barry. Do you think it is possible without good access to well documented collections to tell the difference in zigzag and linear patterns, from the Islands of present day Fiji, Samoa and Tonga? I have read that Tongan artists were in demand on Fiji and Samoa? I would very much like to see the patterned material you and other members have.

In the mean time I think these pictures are interesting with one of my clubs. A what's it called doodaa? head club from new Caledonia. Clearly in this case it is obvious that some patterns do travel.

That chap in the picture looks as if he is really enjoying smoking his pipe. I could see it as rather sad that I and many other have and do feel a nasty pressure to no longer enjoy tobacco. Enough to make you start again. Nooooo!

Picture from --- The traditional pottery of Papua New Guinea, Patricia May, Margaret Tuckson, Hawai university press.

VANDOO 19th February 2010 07:38 PM

7 Attachment(s)
MOST OF THE EARLY FIJI CLUBS HAD SIMPLE CARVING STYLES AND WERE NOT FULLY CARVED. THE LATER TONGAN CLUBS AND THOSE INFLUENCED BY TONGANS WERE MORE FULLY CARVED AND THE CARVING MORE INTRICATE AND VARIED. JUDGEING FROM THE CLUBS I HAVE SEEN AND HANDLED THE OLDEST ONES HAD LESS CARVEING AND WERE OF THE MORE SIMPLE DESIGNS. I SUSPECT MANY OF THESE HAD FIBER OR CORD WRAPPING ON THE SHAFTS THAT HAS DETEORIATED AND BEEN LOST. ON SOME YOU CAN SEE MARKS OR DIFFERENCES IN THE PATINA WHERE THE WRAPPING ONCE WAS.
WHEN CONTACT WAS MADE AND TRADE ESTABLISHED IT WAS FOUND THE EXPLORERS AND WHALERS AND SUCH WOULD RATHER TRADE FOR THE MORE FULLY CARVED CLUBS INSTEAD OF THE MORE SIMPLE TRADITIONAL ONES.
LATER WHEN WARFARE AND CANNIBALISM HAD BEEN ENDED CLUBS BECAME MORE OF AN ITEM FOR CEREMONY OR PRESTIEGE AND THE FANCIER THE BETTER. THE ENVIORMENT IN THE ISLANDS WAS VERY DESTRUCTIVE OF WOODEN AND FIBER IMPLEMENTS AND WHEN THEY WERE LEFT TO SET IN A SHED OR CORNER OF A HUT UNUSED FOR VERY LONG THEY DIDN'T LAST LONG. WHITE ANTS (TERMITES) COULD DESTROY THEM IN SHORT ORDER AND FUNGUS OR MOLD SLOWER BUT JUST AS SURELY.
PICTURES, TOP TWO FIJI BOWAI CLUB,
NEXT TWO FIJI ROOTSTOCK CLUB
ULA THROWING CLUB, TONGAN INFLUENCE
LAST TWO FULLY CARVED TONGAN BOWAI FORM CLUB

Tim Simmons 19th February 2010 08:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
We know of the Samoan Nifo oti. All the pictures I have are of rather plain but large things with a fully European made blade.
What about this, some what different. The handle is decorated in the style similar to all the Islands mentioned. The blade has been ground on stone for the main forming. The curl must of been done with the use of heat but I do not think we are looking at work from a forge or similar level of heat. The zigzag decorated piece around the top of the handle is an open ring bent around the wood . There is no join ether forge welded, braised or soldered.

Tim Simmons 19th February 2010 08:29 PM

With regard to the latter carved clubs from Fiji, Samoa and Tonga. I have read art historians discuss them in terms of decadence and corruption but they still look jolly lovely to me. Also not rare but try a buy one!!!!!

VANDOO 19th February 2010 11:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
UNFORTUNATELY THE MAJORITY OF CLUBS YOU SEE FOR SALE TODAY ARE 1950'S TO THE PRESENT. EVEN WORSE IS THEY OFTEN GO FOR A HIGH PRICE ON EBAY :( . YOU DO SEE A GOOD OLD ONE FROM THE TIMES WHEN THEY WERE STILL A WEAPON BUT THEY ARE RARE.
THE CLUB YOU PICTURED IS ATTRIBUTED TO NEW CALADONIA AND IN THE OLD DAYS THAT PARTICULAR STIPPLED DESIGN YOU HAVE ON YOURS WAS SAID TO HAVE BEEN CUT WITH RATS TEETH. THEY ARE OFTEN REFFERED TO AS MUSHROOM OR PHALLIC CLUBS I THINK THE LATTER IS MORE LIKELY AS OCEANIC SOCIETYS ALL BELIEVED IN FERTILITY AND LOTS OF CHILDREN. (ITS A NICE ONE :D )
THE PICTURES OF THE CLUBS I POSTED ABOVE IN THE LAST POST ARE CONSISTANT OF ONE OF THE OLDER FORMS OF BUTT (HANDLE END) ON THE FIJI CLUBS. THE OTHER COMMON FORM ON THE OLD ONES IS MORE PHALLIC. SEE ONE EXAMPLE PHALLIC AND ONE EXAMPLE OLD TOTIKA OR PINAPPLE CLUB NOTE SENNET WRAPPED HANDLE. AND ONE NEW TONGAN STYLE ULA HANDLE. AND ONE PRE 1850 EXAMPLE OF THE FIJIAN TAVA TAVA DESIGN.
THE POLE ARM YOU PICTURED IS UNUSUAL IT REMINDS ME OF SOME SORT OF MAK BLADE WITH AN OCEANIC HANDLE. APPEARS TO HAVE A LOT OF AGE AND WEAR IF IT ONLY COULD TALK. :D
I HOPE THE FREE ADVERTIZEMENT FOR THE DEALER DOSEN'T BREAK ANY RULES. I HAVE HAD IT FOR QUITE A WHILE SO ITS NOT A RECENT ITEM FOR SALE AND I DON'T HAVE SOFTWARE TO CROP PICTURES ANYMORE SO ITS THE BEST I CAN DO. :o

fearn 20th February 2010 12:19 AM

There is at least two books on the old club types. I'm looking for my (photo)copies at the moment.

A few comments:
--woodwork tends to be distinctive by island, so long as the people making the clubs aren't reading the same books we are.
--When a club is made with metal tools, the lines tend to be simpler and rounder. We're not likely to see many clubs made with stone, bone, or shell tools, but the decorations are different and distinctive.
--Iron reached the pacific a long time ago, and many clubs were made for the tourist trade, even back in the 1850s.

Fun topic. Thanks Vandoo!

F

VANDOO 20th February 2010 03:31 AM

3 Attachment(s)
THERE ARE SOME OLD CLUBS MOSTLY IN MUSEUM COLLECTIONS THAT STILL HAVE THE FIBER WRAPPING ON THE HANDLES. THE FIBER BECOMES DRY AND BRITTLE SO MOST OLD EXAMPLES HAVE LOST IT LONG AGO. I THINK MANY OF THE OLDER KIAKAVO (WRONGLY CALLED GUNSTOCK CLUBS) HAD WRAPPINGS OF EITHER SENNET (CORD MADE FROM COCONUT FIBERS) CORD MADE FROM HUMAN HAIR WAS ALSO USED. OR WOVEN FIBER MADE FROM PALM OR PANDANUS LEAVES OFTEN WITH COLORS AND PATTERNS. THE VUNIKAU (ROOTSTOCK CLUBS) ALSO HAD SENNET CORD WRAPPINGS ON THEIR SHAFTS. LESS COMMONLY CORD WRAP COULD BE FOUND ON TOTOKIA (WRONGLY CALLED PINEAPPLE CLUBS) AND CULACULA (PADDLE CLUBS FOUND IN FIJI BUT THOUGHT TO BE OF TONGAN OR SAMOAN ORIGIN)
THERE ARE MANY DRAWINGS IN "FIJIAN WEAPONS & WARFARE" BY FERGUS CLUNIE.
ANOTHER GOOD SOURCE DEALING WITH ALL OCEANIC CLUBS IS " ETHNOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF THE PACIFIC ISLANDS" BY EDGE PARTINGTON

THERE ARE TWO PICTURES OF A FIJI TOTIKA WITH BOTH SENNET AND HUMAN HAIR CORD.
THERE IS ONE PICTURE OF TWO PADDLE TYPE CLUBS FROM THE SOLOMON ISLANDS WITH DECORATIVE FIBER WRAPS.

Tim Simmons 20th February 2010 09:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Decadence or a flowering of traditional arts? A mastery of the new carving tools? Even as a non-expert I think it is possible to recognise in many old pieces a decline in artistry. This picture is from "Pacific Encounters- Art & Divinity in Polynesia 1760-1860" British Museum Press {a must have}. It is not too expensive and I think is still available from amazon.UK. Perhaps this could be seen as decadent over even earlier forms, bearing in mind metal tools could well have been in the hands of court artists from at least the very early 1700s.

fearn 20th February 2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
We know of the Samoan Nifo oti. All the pictures I have are of rather plain but large things with a fully European made blade.
What about this, some what different. The handle is decorated in the style similar to all the Islands mentioned. The blade has been ground on stone for the main forming. The curl must of been done with the use of heat but I do not think we are looking at work from a forge or similar level of heat. The zigzag decorated piece around the top of the handle is an open ring bent around the wood . There is no join ether forge welded, braised or soldered.

Hi Tim,

Somewhere I read that the curl (properly the "tooth" of the "death tooth" which is what Nifo oti means), came from the blade itself. Basically, they would take a machete/bush knife, cut off the end of the knife, and the weld that end on top to make the tooth.

These blades are still made: they are the "fire knives" you see used in Hula demonstrations, and I think there is an annual contest in Samoa of fire knife twirling. If you google fire knife, you'll see what the modern ones look like.

Best,

F

VANDOO 20th February 2010 07:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
THE EARLY WAR CLUBS WERE CARVED USING SHELL, BONE AND CORAL AND STONE WHERE AVAILABLE. THEIR CONSTRUCTION WAS A SLOW AND DIFFICULT TASK SO THEY WERE CARVED MOSTLY FOR DESIGN AND FUNCTION. THIS BEING THE CASE DECORATION WOULD HAVE BEEN HELD TO A MINIMUM AND PROBABLY SERVED TO HELP THE GRIP AND PERHAPS FOR SOME TAILSMANIC PROPERTYS. MARKS AND DESIGNS COULD HAVE BEEN ADDED LATER AS A WARRIORS STATUS GREW DENOTING KILLS AND VICTORIES. PERHAPS SOME CARVING WOULD HAVE DENOTED AN ACE BASED ON HIS NUMBER OF KILLS. :D HUMAN TEETH WERE SOMETIMES INSET IN CLUBS FROM FIJI, I AM NOT AWARE OF THAT PRACTICE ON OTHER ISLAND GROUPS WEAPONS. :confused:
THERE WERE NO DOUBT SOME CEREMONIAL CLUBS OR THOSE CARRIED BY HIGH CHIEFS OR ALEEHE THAT WERE MORE FULLY CARVED. THESE WOULD HAVE BEEN STATUS SYMBOLS AND NO DOUBT WERE ATTRIBUTED TO HAVE MAGIC POWERS (MANNA) WHEN CONTACT WAS MADE AND METAL TOOLS ARRIVED IT MADE MAKEING AND CARVEING WEAPONS MUCH EASIER AND FASTER SO MORE DESIGNS COULD BE EASILY ADDED. THERE WOULD ALSO HAVE BEEN MORE OUTSIDE INFLUENCE FROM OTHER ISLANDS AS WELL AS FROM EUROPE. PATTERNS WERE NO DOUBT COPIED FROM WEAPONS AND TEXTILES AS WELL AS ACTUAL OBJECTS SUCH AS SHIPS AND PEOPLE.
AT THAT POINT I WOULD SAY IT WAS THE GOLDEN AGE OF CARVEING AND THE MOST INTRICATE AND ARTISTIC EXAMPLES WERE MADE. THEY MAY HAVE NOT BEEN AS TRADITIONAL AS THE OLDER WEAPONS BUT AS FOR ART AND WORKMANSHIP WERE THE BEST. OVER THE YEARS IT WOULD HAVE DEGRADED WHEN CARVERS SAW THEY COULD SELL A INFERIOR EXAMPLE WHICH TOOK A FRACTION OF THE TIME AND WORK TO MAKE FOR AS MUCH AS A MASTERPIECE.
THERE IS A RECENT BOOK OUT ON THE SAMOAN FIRE KNIFE. IT HAS SOME HISTORY BUT IS MOSTLY ABOUT THE SAMOAN WHO MADE THE FIRE KNIFE DANCE A POPULAR PART OF ALL POLYNESIAN SHOWS.

TWO PICTURES OF A TONGAN STYLE CLUB WITH HUMAN FIGURE
ONE PIC OF RECENT FIJI CLUB WITH SENNET CORD BINDING ( NOTE THE SHAFT IS CARVED IN AS A SQUARE SHAFT NOT ROUND AS IS PROPER)

Tim Simmons 20th February 2010 07:45 PM

8 Attachment(s)
I have googled "fire dance knife"
I do not want too wander too far from clubs but thought I should show some pictures of this blade. The handle does have the same more restrained banded decoration seen on some Somoan clubs. The blade is very sharp indeed 17cm long not big, why so sharp? As I said I feel the blade has been stone ground from a machete or other European blade, you can all make up your own minds on that.

Tim Simmons 20th February 2010 08:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Early 20th century Samoan club with decoration showing clear decadence and decline. However I think it has been used, there is a weight forward bias to one edge rather like a Moro Kris. It is this side that carries most damage and signs of use. The carved form is basic function 63cm long. I do not know what makes the lime inset pink.

fearn 21st February 2010 04:10 AM

Quote:

I have googled "fire dance knife"
I do not want too wander too far from clubs but thought I should show some pictures of this blade. The handle does have the same more restrained banded decoration seen on some Somoan clubs. The blade is very sharp indeed 17cm long not big, why so sharp? As I said I feel the blade has been stone ground from a machete or other European blade, you can all make up your own minds on that.

Hi Tim,

The tie-in of interest is that, with the fire knife, we have a traditional blade that is a direct and known descendent of a club, the nifo oti. Offhand, I can't think of another good example of that. The interesting part was that the first knives were, I believe, made as copies of the clubs by an English firm for export, and the islanders subsequently learned how to manufacture their own.

But you're right. Back to the clubs!

Best,

F

laEspadaAncha 22nd February 2010 05:51 AM

Here's an Australian Aboriginal example acquired in the '70s (along with a shield, a woomera, and a penalty spear) from an antique store in Melbourne. The club measures about 27 1/2 inches in length.

The carving is limited to a diagonal cross-hatched pattern on the grip-end that seems more functional than decorative, and two sets of carved rings (visible in the second photo). There is a pitch covering of some sort covering the grip-end that reminds me of the tar pitch used to seal an Apache water tus.

Not nearly as visually appealing as the stunning examples shown in this thread - by comparison, a veritable "ugly stick." ;)

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2826/p2210002o.jpg

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/2766/handle.jpg

VANDOO 22nd February 2010 08:34 PM

5 Attachment(s)
THE AUSTRALIAN CLUBS AND DIGGING STICKS ARE A GOOD EXAMPLE OF PURELY FUNCTIONAL CARVING. THAT DIFFERS FROM DECORATIVE DESIGN WHICH OFTEN SERVES THE SAME PURPOSE OF GIVING YOU A BETTER GRIP. THE PLANT RESIN ALSO HELPS THE GRIP AS WELL AS HAVING A KNOB ON THE HANDLE END AND PERHAPS A LANYARD. WARRIORS NO DOUBT LEARNED THE LESSON EARLY THAT LOSING ONES CLUB IN BATTLE WAS BAD. EVEN IF YOU ESCAPED YOU LOST YOUR CLUB AND WOULD HAVE TO ENDURE YOUR FELLOW WARRIORS DOING A DANCE SHOWING HOW FUNNY YOU LOOKED RUNNING FOR YOUR LIFE AFTER YOU LOST YOUR CLUB. :D
THE ABORIGINAL WEAPONS OFTEN HAD VERY PLAIN DECORATION BUT THEY ALSO HAD SOME GOOD CARVEING BUT OFTEN WERE PAINTED WITH PIGMENTS FOR CEREMONIAL OCCASIONS OR TO DENOTE YOUR TRIBAL FAMILY. THE MOST INTRICATE CARVING SEEMS TO HAVE COME FROM TONGA, NEW ZEALAND, MAORI AND MARQUESAS. MANY OTHER ISLANDS DID INTRICATE CARVING BUT IT WAS USUALLY NOT AS COMPLEX AS THOSE MENTIONED ABOVE.
TWO PICTURES OF A AUSTRALIAN LEAGLE CLUB SIMPLE CARVING ON HANDLE AND NOTE HOW THE TREE WAS BENT AND GROWN IN THE CURVE BEFORE HARVESTING TO MAKE THE CLUB.
TWO PICTURES OF A AUSTRALIAN CLUB WITH CARVING ,PERHAPS THE HEAD OF THE CLUB REPRESENTS THE JABBARU BIRD.
CLOSEUP OF THE SIMPLE CARVING ON THE HANDLE OF A NEW CALEDONIAN CLUB SIMULAR TO THE STIPPLED STYLE ONTHE CLUB HEAD.

Tim Simmons 27th February 2010 07:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Not wanting this thread does wither so quickly I add this piece. One of my favourites. I like the way the grip is sensitively cut to form decoration in a "Jackson Pollock" kind of fashion. Most of all I like the chevron pattern sculpted in the whole form rather than an applied decoration. Gives the object a life/vibration of its own, very clever. It can feel like holding a large just caught Mackerel, or am I just a little strange?

Lew 28th February 2010 02:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Tim

Here is another example.

Lew 28th February 2010 02:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some fine examples from the Met's collection.

Tim Simmons 28th February 2010 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Lew. I would give all my collection for this. Sheer genius, out of this world beautiful, very scary and so cleverly made.

graeme gt 28th February 2010 06:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My pole club.

VANDOO 1st March 2010 04:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
VERY NICE CLUBS GUYS :D
I THINK THERE ARE PROBABLY CONNECTIONS BETWEEN CARVING ON CLUBS AND TATOOS (TATU).SO I WILL ADD HERE A QUOTE ON POLYNESIAN TATOOS

"POLYNESIAN MYTHOLOGY= THE 2 SONS OF THE GOD OF CREATION TA'AROA TAUGHT THE ART OF TATOOING TO HUMANS. IT WAS A TAPU OR SACRED ART FORM. IT WAS PREFORMED BY SHAMAN (TAHUA) WHO WERE HIGHLY TRAINED IN RELIGIOUS RITUAL, THE MEANING OF THE DESIGNS AND TECKNICAL ASPECTS OF THE ART. THE DESIGNS AND THEIR LOCATIONS ON THE BODY WERE DETERMINED BY ONE'S GENEOLOGY, POSITION IN SOCIETY AND PERSONAL ACHIEVEMENTS." END QUOTE

JUDGEING FROM THE STRICT CEREMONIES AND TABOOS (TAPU) ASSOCIATED WITH POLYNESIAN SOCIETY I AM SURE THERE IS A LOT OF MEANING TO ANY DESIGNS USED ON ARTEFACTS AS WELL AS PEOPLE. I WILL TRY AND SEE IF ANY TATOO DESIGNS ARE THE SAME AS THOSE ON WEAPONS AND IF THE MEANING OR PURPOSE IS KNOWN FOR TATOOS PERHAPS IT WOULD BE THE SAME ON WEAPONS?.
IF ANYONE HAS ACCESS TO GOOD REFRENCE MATERIAL OR CURRENT KNOWLEGE JUMP IN AS I WILL BE STARTING FROM SCRATCH AS FAR AS REFRENCE ON TATOOS GOES.

ONE OLD PICTURE OF MARQUESAN WARRIORS
ONE SMALL HAND CLUB IN LIGHT COLOR HEAVY WOOD, THE KIND THAT DOSEN'T SHOW PATINA JUST WEAR AND DIRT.
THE HANDLE OF A STRANGE CLUB I SUSPECT FROM THE ISLANDS NEAR NEW GUINEA.

laEspadaAncha 29th June 2010 02:47 AM

Picked this up from an LA-area gallery over the weekend; was labeled in its previous collection as having come from the Solomon Islands. The symmetry of the incised design is impressive and well-executed, and seems to have some age to it. Club measures about 51.5 cm in OAL and weighs approximately 445 grams.

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/7603/headoe.jpg

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6791/cross2y.jpg

Tim Simmons 29th June 2010 05:05 PM

What does the whole thing look like? This form of club in the publications I have say they are from Malaita Island and subsequently known as Malaita clubs. The decoration is very interesting, the way it fits the form so well. The fact that the design of the decortation is so formal and strongly cruciform, it does make me wonder wether this was made after missionary contamination or should I say influence. ;)

laEspadaAncha 29th June 2010 06:33 PM

Quote:

The fact that the design of the decortation is so formal and strongly cruciform, it does make me wonder wether this was made after missionary contamination or should I say influence. ;)

Hi Tim,

I wondered the same - I showed it to two friends - one thought it was intended to follow the cruciform pattern of an intended representation of a cross, while the other thought it simply followed the natural vertical and horizontal axes of the club.

Anyway, here's the full club:

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/8751/clubdw.jpg

I look forward to your thoughts on the same...

fearn 29th June 2010 06:55 PM

Hi Vandoo,

One note: Tahua (aka Kahuna, Tohunga, Tohuna, etc) is probably better translated "master" or "sensei" than "shaman." Polynesian societies used what we would call "magic" in every aspect of their lives, from gardening and fishing to making tools, canoes, religion, and healing.

As for the designs, I think you'll find that the designs on Marquesan clubs and Maori wooden clubs closely mirror tattoo designs.

So far as I know, Polynesian tattoo and club designs are both descended from Lapita pottery designs, based on the archeology. What this means is that patterns on lapita pottery looks a lot like what you see on Maori and Marquesan faces.

I'm quite sure this is true for Polynesia. Conversely, I don't think it works for Melanesia or Micronesia.

Hope this helps,

F

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANDOO
VERY NICE CLUBS GUYS :D
I THINK THERE ARE PROBABLY CONNECTIONS BETWEEN CARVING ON CLUBS AND TATOOS (TATU).SO I WILL ADD HERE A QUOTE ON POLYNESIAN TATOOS

"POLYNESIAN MYTHOLOGY= THE 2 SONS OF THE GOD OF CREATION TA'AROA TAUGHT THE ART OF TATOOING TO HUMANS. IT WAS A TAPU OR SACRED ART FORM. IT WAS PREFORMED BY SHAMAN (TAHUA) WHO WERE HIGHLY TRAINED IN RELIGIOUS RITUAL, THE MEANING OF THE DESIGNS AND TECKNICAL ASPECTS OF THE ART. THE DESIGNS AND THEIR LOCATIONS ON THE BODY WERE DETERMINED BY ONE'S GENEOLOGY, POSITION IN SOCIETY AND PERSONAL ACHIEVEMENTS." END QUOTE

JUDGEING FROM THE STRICT CEREMONIES AND TABOOS (TAPU) ASSOCIATED WITH POLYNESIAN SOCIETY I AM SURE THERE IS A LOT OF MEANING TO ANY DESIGNS USED ON ARTEFACTS AS WELL AS PEOPLE. I WILL TRY AND SEE IF ANY TATOO DESIGNS ARE THE SAME AS THOSE ON WEAPONS AND IF THE MEANING OR PURPOSE IS KNOWN FOR TATOOS PERHAPS IT WOULD BE THE SAME ON WEAPONS?.
IF ANYONE HAS ACCESS TO GOOD REFRENCE MATERIAL OR CURRENT KNOWLEGE JUMP IN AS I WILL BE STARTING FROM SCRATCH AS FAR AS REFRENCE ON TATOOS GOES.

ONE OLD PICTURE OF MARQUESAN WARRIORS
ONE SMALL HAND CLUB IN LIGHT COLOR HEAVY WOOD, THE KIND THAT DOSEN'T SHOW PATINA JUST WEAR AND DIRT.
THE HANDLE OF A STRANGE CLUB I SUSPECT FROM THE ISLANDS NEAR NEW GUINEA.

Tim Simmons 29th June 2010 06:58 PM

I think it is really nice and I want one most desperately. It could well be just that the decoration fits the form. The cross as a motif is not the exclusive property of "christianity" The use of a formal structured line in decoration is common. On this club the decoration is very bold and solid which seems to suggest a cross more than just following the form. Even after colonial and missionary governance, clubs would still be carried for minor tribal dispute and as part of general attire? This link is interesting, the first man struck dead is by a gun but used as a club. Could it be that by this time anybody who was anybody wanted to be seen with a gun? even if they had no bullets?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaita_massacre

laEspadaAncha 29th June 2010 07:24 PM

Thank you Tim - I appreciate the input. :)

Great information as well - I was until now completely ignorant of the incident to which you provided a link. So do you feel pretty confident in your Malaita attribution? Any ideas or thoughts as to a possible time frame - would you suggest a time frame somewhere around or about the time of the massacre, or possibly earlier?

Rgds,

Chris

Tim Simmons 29th June 2010 08:06 PM

warning pictures are not of a weapon.

5 Attachment(s)
It is so hard to tell. As you can read in the link the amount of outsiders in this part of the world in the early 1920s was only circa 600. I myself feel the motif is a cross as in missionary influence but I am not an expert. Not all the peoples in the area put up resistance. This club could be late 19th century? it is probably best to just think of early 20th century. I could say it does not look old but then just look at items in the thread "Wallace Collection" and you can see old stuff can indeed look very recent :) .

I am going off at a tangent now and I hope it is okay with the moderators, it does fit the area of disscusion. So much of our interest here involves discovery. I found this whale tooth object early this year and thought it from the Solomons. Latter I found this stuff from "Pacific Encounters, Art and Divinity in Polynesia 1760-1860, Steven Hooper, the British Museum press" I have emailed CMAA pictures and ref number of the object in the CMAA "Cambridge University of Archeology and Anthropology" I have had no reply. As you now can scan harmful attachments from nutters I can only assume that recieving no reply is through institutional jealousy. I am now forced to seek information at some fancy auction house. My object is only 66mm long and only carved on one side, clearly a pendant.