Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Javanese Fighting Short Sword ? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21406)

Miguel 11th May 2016 08:22 PM

Javanese Fighting Short Sword ?

2 Attachment(s)
Hello Everyone,

I would be grateful if someone could confirm or otherwise whether this sword is from Java or not. My own findings are that it is and the design is loosely based on the Dutch 1898 Klewang naval cutlass. It is a well made weapon with a horn hilt having finger grips on a heavy single edged blade. The scabbard is wood with white metal bands and a horn mouthpiece.
Overall length is 17 ins, blade length is 12.125 ins x 1.75 ins wide. Thanking you in anticipation.
Regards
Miguel

Athanase 12th May 2016 11:03 AM

Hello Miguel.
For me it's typical Javanese production.
(But I'm still a novice in the Indonesian weapons)

kronckew 12th May 2016 11:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)
the dutch preferred clip pointed swords and sabres, the smithies of the then dutch east indies made a number of klewangs, swords, etc. for the dutch of various types. the dutch 'hembrug' klewang made for the military police in the dutch east indies is discussed in many threads here.

my dutchie, a european style hunting sword from the area and a native sword from borneo as examples discussed before.

Miguel 13th May 2016 07:44 PM

Thanks folks for your comments and thanks Kronckew for sharing the photos of your Dutch swords, they are very nice pieces.

So my weapon is Javanese but is it a fighting short sword or what? :confused:
Regards
Miguel

David 13th May 2016 09:13 PM

It looks more like a machete/jungle knife to me, though i don't often see them with fullers. Still, this looks more like a tool than a weapon to me. It isn't in the form of any traditional Javanese weapon i am aware of and the design of the blade seems more European influenced than local to that area.

kronckew 13th May 2016 09:21 PM

they are of course, general purpose tools, hunting, food prep, chopping wood, or people as needed. clipped points and fullers are more 'european' but also more likely found on large knives intended to have a fighting capability. possibly made for a european resident's desires rather than a traditional local.

CharlesS 13th May 2016 09:37 PM

While all blades can be potentially used as weapons, the length and style described/shown in the original pic suggests to me more of a golok or "tool" type blade, thus agreeing with David. It is almost certainly dates to the last half of the 20th century.

Sajen 14th May 2016 09:42 AM

Agree with Charles and David, a Javanese golok from the second half of the 20th century.

Regards,
Detlef

Miguel 16th May 2016 08:12 PM

Thanks very much for your comments they are greatly appreciated and from them the consensus would appear to be that my fighting short sword is a general tool called a Golok which to me makes more sense. Thanks again for the input.
Regards
Miguel

David R 16th May 2016 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally found a photo of mine so you can compare. I have to say that yours is a handsome example of the type.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 18th May 2016 07:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Javanese mercenaries went in to bat dressed like this...

See spear weilding soldier with sword at waist below who appears to be Javanese ...Quote."One of seven paintings by William Daniell, originally painted for Thomas Stamford Raffles, History of Java. Similar images are in the 1817 edition of the book". Unquote.

They were also often used as mercenaries in Sri Lanka..Interestingly working for example for the Dutch then agreeing to work for the English when they assumed control... as did Swiss and French mercenaries.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Miguel 21st May 2016 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R
Finally found a photo of mine so you can compare. I have to say that yours is a handsome example of the type.

Hi David,

Sorry for the delay in reply and thanks for sharing your photo. our Golok looks older and more like a golok than mine has it has a more traditional shaped blade, where as mine has the blade shape of a Java fighting sword with fullers and clipped point only much shorter.
Regards
Miguel

kronckew 21st May 2016 05:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
my golok are more like david's. (yes, some bright spark replaced the missing horn sash hook on the scabbard with a silver eating implement handle.) note the fuller in the lower one with the bulbous grip.