Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Help With Yataghan Inscription? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11535)

Rumpel 26th February 2010 03:48 PM

Help With Yataghan Inscription?

6 Attachment(s)
First, I really should apologise for the poor quality of the photos. I've lost the USB cable for my camera, so have had to use my mobile...

So, the yat: it's quite crude, and looks identical to the military issue yataghan from the Russo-Turkish War I remember seeing elsewhere in this forum, but which I can't currently locate...

The hilt's presumably later, and T-shaped buffalo horn. Is this an Anatolian, rather than Balkan, style?

I think what I really want to know is, what does the inscription mean (if anyone can read it through the blurriness) and was it added by an 'ethnographic user' rather than an unscrupulous London dealer...?

Thanks in advance, chaps. I've got an (I think) early 19th c Bosnian bichaq with a maker's mark I need help with, but I'll need to sort out the camera problems first...

Rumpel 26th February 2010 03:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Few more pics:

I should have added that the obverse side shows a seal of Solomon and floriate design.

Edit: I found the issue yataghan pic, now attached. Looking at it, it looks far less 'identical' than than I remembered it...

Zifir 27th February 2010 10:08 PM

Hi,
It's really impossible to read it. Any chance to get better pictures?

Rumpel 1st March 2010 09:30 PM

Hi Zifir,

Thanks for responding.

Until I, or more likely, Mrs Rumpel, find the USB cable for my camera, those cameraphone pics are the best I can offer. I'll try and copy the text in Microsoft Paint and upload it tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Rumpel.

Rumpel 2nd March 2010 02:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Zifir,

The inscription looks like this...er, sort of... :o

Zifir 3rd March 2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumpel
Hi Zifir,

The inscription looks like this...er, sort of... :o

I can only make a very wild guess, but the funny thing is two lines seem exactly similiar. This is very unusual but without seeing the pictures I don't want to say anything.

It seems the first two words of both lines can be read as "sahib ve malik" which means "owner". But as I say, I am only guessing.

Nice caligraphy by the way, much like qufi style :D

Rumpel 5th March 2010 03:56 PM

Hi Zifir,

Thanks for having a look. I had assumed the repeated line meant the inscription might be some sort of prayer or invocation, but I guess it doesn't look that way now...

Thank Windows Paint for the stylised calligraphic style... :)