Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is this a Persian Kard? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25532)

MichaelZWilliamson 6th January 2020 06:38 PM

Is this a Persian Kard?

5 Attachment(s)
Local store has this and I'm interested. Best photos I could get with a cell phone. The blade is either actual wootz or a very high quality pattern weld.

mahratt 6th January 2020 08:35 PM

Ottoman.

Kubur 6th January 2020 08:51 PM

Please send me the address of your local store!!

MichaelZWilliamson 6th January 2020 09:02 PM

Thanks. Can you refine it any? I'm guessing prior to 1900.

ALEX 7th January 2020 09:29 AM

Yes, a classical Ottoman Kard and 19th Century. The handle is likely jade and the blade is wootz. The silver scabbard also has all elements of classical Ottoman design, the repose style, 'rings' near the opening and the dragon/fish finial. A nice Kard.

mariusgmioc 7th January 2020 10:51 AM

As it was said before, in my oppinion too, it is 19th century Ottoman, most likely Turkish Kard.

Better photos should help to identify if it is wootz.

MichaelZWilliamson 9th January 2020 12:02 AM

Vendor is getting a professional appraisal. If it's outside my price range, I've told them I'll let people know, so you can descend upon them.

OsobistGB 9th January 2020 09:16 PM

Excellent Ottoman kard.Congratulations :)
In regard to the silver scabbard, I have some doubts that it is from another set.If the knife comes in without difficulty and stands tight then everything is ok.

Kubur 9th January 2020 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OsobistGB
In regard to the silver scabbard, I have some doubts that it is from another set.If the knife comes in without difficulty and stands tight then everything is ok.

I agree but even better show us a photo of the knife in the scabbard
According to some members it will be Greek but i think it's a Turkish bishaq...
A kard is Persian....
;)

Saracen 10th January 2020 01:02 PM

Quote:

I agree with OsobistGB
Greek scabbard (Crete). Card with a strong Persian influence.

Согласен с OsobistGB
Ножны греческие (Крит). Кард с сильным персидским влиянием.

MichaelZWilliamson 10th January 2020 03:38 PM

Quote:

It fits perfectly.

MichaelZWilliamson 15th January 2020 03:09 AM

Better pics of the metal tomorrow.

ariel 15th January 2020 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelZWilliamson
It fits perfectly.

I see your point. However, it does not prove its originality. Scabbards were the first thing to go due to the fragility of their wooden core, and were replaced at intervals during working life of any bladed weapon. Shaping a new scabbard for the blade did not differ from making an original one. Silver cladding might have been original or new because thin silver was also damaged as part of its exposure to the rigors of daily life. As a matter of fact, a perfectly intact scabbard of an obviously old bladed weapon ( like yours) suggests replacement, IMHO, or careful storage ( museum-like conditions) from the moment of its birth.
You got yourself a very good and fully genuine Kard, it is unquestionably authentic, but full originality of its composing parts cannot be proven. It is not a defect but just an inevitable consequence of its age and active usage.

ariel 15th January 2020 01:16 PM

Sorry: double posting

MichaelZWilliamson 15th January 2020 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel
I see your point. However, it does not prove its originality. Scabbards were the first thing to go due to the fragility of their wooden core, and were replaced at intervals during working life of any bladed weapon.

I agree and understand. It could have been made to fit. Kukri get replacement scabbards from time to time, and I've replaced scabbards for several skean dhus in my shop. But even if a replacement, it is correct for the piece as far as fit. Though its style may not be an exact match.

MichaelZWilliamson 15th January 2020 07:21 PM

They considered my offer over the weekend and I picked it up yesterday.

MichaelZWilliamson 15th January 2020 07:21 PM

mariusgmioc, I can't reply until you clear out your inbox. :)

ariel 15th January 2020 07:42 PM

Quote:

They considered my offer over the weekend and I picked it up yesterday.

Congratulations!
Very nice catch.

MichaelZWilliamson 15th January 2020 07:53 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Hopefully better pictures of the blade grain and scabbard.

mariusgmioc 16th January 2020 04:38 PM

Thank you for the additional photos!

True inndeed that it would be almost impossible to know with certainty whether the scabbard is the original or a replacemement.
Yet, considering the style and condition of both the knife and the scabbard, I tend to believe the sabbard is the original.

Moreover, as I stated earlier, I believe it to be Turkish, not Greek or Balkan, but this is debatable since styles and skills travelled well within the Ottoman Empire.

MichaelZWilliamson 16th January 2020 05:00 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to get a translation of the script.

mariusgmioc 17th January 2020 07:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to get a translation of the script.

Can you also please post better photos of the hilt, including one close-up of the tip of the hilt?

I am asking because it would be possible the hilt to be of onyx, which is widely found in Anatolia.

kwiatek 18th January 2020 03:42 PM

Also, if you post close-ups of the inscriptions I may be able to help. At the moment it's too low resolution for me to read

MichaelZWilliamson 18th January 2020 04:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's some pics of the hilt. I'll try to zoom in more on the inscription.

MichaelZWilliamson 18th January 2020 04:56 PM

Here's a link to higher resolution of the script. I can't upload sufficient resolution with the site's limits.

https://www.sharppointythings.com/pi...11aa618-la.jpg

kwiatek 18th January 2020 06:54 PM

This is in Persian, but the calligraphy looks more typical of Ottoman metalwork:

بکش خنجر که جان بهر تو [ا]ی نامهربان دارم

'Draw the dagger, since my life is at your disposal, O unkind one!'

The imagery is typical of the Ottoman and Persian poetic traditions, where the poet emphasises his devotion to a cruel beloved, even asking to be killed in order to demonstrate his devotion.

kwiatek 18th January 2020 07:01 PM

I should add, I found it online as a verse attributed to the poet Lotfi Shirazi, who was active in the reign of Shah 'Abbas

MichaelZWilliamson 18th January 2020 07:12 PM

Thank you very much, kwiatek. That's an interesting piece of information about it.

mariusgmioc 18th January 2020 08:45 PM

Thank you for the photos!

The hilt can be either jade (nephrite or jadeite) or onyx. Cannot say.

From the photo with the text (the one from the link you provided), one can clearly see that it is not antique wootz.

So it is either some faux-wootz (done by pattern etching) or some modern version of "wootz."

The koftgari also looks very fresh...

It would be interesting to hear what others have to say about this.

:shrug:

Jens Nordlunde 18th January 2020 09:13 PM

I dont see any wootz at all - sorry.

ariel 18th January 2020 10:11 PM

As per pics, I do think it is wootz, but a very simple and quite crude one. Not Persian for sure, but Ottoman, one of the many Middle Eastern “Turkish” varieties of Sham that are remembered only by exotic names, but have no defined characteristics.
The dark areas are thick, short and far away from each other.