Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How to date (powder) horn? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6335)

fernando 27th April 2008 06:04 PM

How to date (powder) horn?

3 Attachment(s)
I assume this rustic powder horn is Portuguese, due to the circumstances, but can not be sure :shrug: .
I wonder how old it could be. Its body has scales, a condition i am not familiar with, and it has worm holes, something i have already seen in other horn articles .
Does any of these sympthoms represent an age grade, or do they also happen in "modern" horn ?
The wooden plug and butt cap also show age ... could be the originals, so as the ring.
The zillion pictures are an atempt to show its texture in the various positions.
Coments will be wellcome.
Fernando

BBJW 28th April 2008 04:16 PM

Portuguese?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernando
I assume this rustic powder horn is Portuguese, due to the circumstances, but can not be sure :shrug: .
I wonder how old it could be. Its body has scales, a condition i am not familiar with, and it has worm holes, something i have already seen in other horn articles .
Does any of these sympthoms represent an age grade, or do they also happen in "modern" horn ?
The wooden plug and butt cap also show age ... could be the originals, so as the ring.
The zillion pictures are an atempt to show its texture in the various positions.
Coments will be wellcome.
Fernando

If this is Portuguese my question would be when did muzzle loaders stop being in common use? At any rate they are hard to date.
Cheers
BBJW

fernando 28th April 2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBJW
If this is Portuguese my question would be when did muzzle loaders stop being in common use? At any rate they are hard to date.
Cheers
BBJW

I'm afraid that would be a very contingent reasoning :shrug:
Besides, i am not trying to find how late it is, but how early it could be, if you know what i mean :cool:
...Something like early, mid or end XIX century, or even end XVIII century, which would be not so probable ... i would think ?
I realized the aspect of the horn and or its decoration and trimings would help to define an aproximate age.

RSWORD 29th April 2008 05:46 PM

The horn appears bovine and the appearance of it, ie, the patina, style etc. is not too indifferent from early American examples dating to the 18th and early 19th century. I do not think it is unreasonable to think it could date as early as the 18th century.

fernando 29th April 2008 07:05 PM

Much obliged for your input, Rick.
I have in time considered such comparison, at looking to various American examples in the Net, but i wouldn't risk such conclusion without support.
Thanks again.

Tim Simmons 29th April 2008 07:10 PM

Looks African to me Southeast Africa - Western Mozambique? I have some pics of similar from South Africa. When I find them.

fernando 29th April 2008 08:06 PM

Now you caught me, Tim.
What do i know? We have been in Mozambique till the other day. I know the army guys brought some souvenirs, namely black wood handycraft ... like my self. But a powder horn ? You leave me with no arguments, as i never exploited that side; allways viewed it as local stuff ... have bought it in a local street market.
I will be expecting those pictures of yours.