Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Egypt from Le Louvre (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10065)

Luc LEFEBVRE 4th May 2009 06:15 PM

Egypt from Le Louvre

1 Attachment(s)
A pic of egyptian weapons at Le Louvre in Paris.
Luc

Jim McDougall 4th May 2009 09:36 PM

Interesting. Any information? Observations? What did you think of these?

Lew 4th May 2009 09:58 PM

Jim

The daggers at the right remind me of my Sudanese arm daggers. Seems the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. ;)

Jim McDougall 5th May 2009 02:18 AM

Right on Lew! It really is amazing the influence that these early weapons carried into other African regions.
I am curious if perhaps there was any sort of identification or notes to go with the display, maybe these weapons may have had some sort of notes on period, where found etc.
It is a pretty picture though.

All the best,
Jim

fearn 5th May 2009 05:08 AM

Hi Louie,

Some shapes never go out of style.

F

Luc LEFEBVRE 5th May 2009 09:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, I had not the time to take more information.
Lew, it's true the daggers on the right are not far from The sudanese we know, but the 3 on the left... I've never see such handles on contemporary african knives.
Luc

colin henshaw 5th May 2009 10:32 AM

Hi

Most interesting....great pieces.

The three on the left - isn't that form also to be found in weapons from ancient Persia (Luristan) ?

Regards

Jim McDougall 5th May 2009 02:12 PM

Hi Luc,
Thank you for the closeup, and that really helps. These seem remarkably preserved, and I am presuming they are from tomb sites. I was just wondering if perhaps any information was available from the caption plates above the items.

The comments that Lew added on the three to the right noting the similarities to Sudanese armd daggers, and now Colin's astute note of possible associations of the three at left with Luristan, are exactly the kind of observations I was looking for.

We can learn so much from these ancient weapons in studying the development of ethnographic forms, not only in Africa, but in many other cultures as well. In many discussions here we have compared the same type similarities to weapons forms literally carved in stone in ancient times in India and Indonesia in the temple artwork.

Thank you again for sharing the wonderful photos. I'm sure I am not alone in wishing I could visit the Louvre as well..

All best regards,
Jim

Lew 5th May 2009 05:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some Sudanese variations.

Jim McDougall 5th May 2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Here are some Sudanese variations.

WOW! Lew,
Now thats what I call making a point!!!! :) Absolutely beautiful grouping.

All the best,
Jim

Tim Simmons 5th May 2009 05:26 PM

They remind me more of those Philippine whats the name Mandya daggers.

colin henshaw 5th May 2009 05:40 PM

Great collection !