Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   An interesting Cuban Sword made by Collins & Co. (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21846)

drac2k 2nd September 2016 01:45 AM

An interesting Cuban Sword made by Collins & Co.

8 Attachment(s)
I have a modest collection of these Spanish Colonial sword type, that are quite often made by Collins & Co.. I recently saw this one on an auction and since the form had an unusual handle I bid on it & won it.The pictures really didn't give any great detail.
When I received it, my first point of interest was the stud for the frog, that stated the Republic of Cuba.I next looked at the scabbard & on the dirty drag I noticed some writing; It was the name Col.G.G.Menocal(Aurelio Mario Gabriel Francisco Garcia Menocal), and thus I looked him up and was astonished to find that this very capable man who had been field promoted while fighting the Spanish for independence, would serve 2 terms as Cuba's first President, run again in 1924, attempt a revolution in 1931 a run again in 1936.

This sword was presented to E.St.John Greble, who received the surrender of Havanna from the Spanish, served on the General's Staff & command of the artillery at Naco, Douglas & El Paso during the Mexican Crisis.He was a Major General who trained the 36th Division for combat in France and he toured the Western Front from Sept. 16 through Dec.7, 1917.

VANDOO 3rd September 2016 08:11 AM

THAT'S A REAL FIND AND A BEAUTIFUL SWORD AS WELL. HAVING THE DATE AND NAME YOU MAY EVEN BE ABLE TO FIND AT WHAT CEREMONY OR OCCASION IT WAS PRESENTED. :cool:

drac2k 3rd September 2016 02:40 PM

Thanks VANDOO. I certainly will do more research ;to me admiring the beauty of what we collect is second to their cultural and historical significance . How many amazing items are rusting in sheds, attics, and garages, only to be thrown out , never to tell their important histories.

drac2k 26th July 2018 08:16 AM

I thought I would repost this sword since recently I posted a sword that appears to have an association with Lucban; this one has a Spanish Colonial Cuban affiliation. Amazing how much history is still out there!

Victrix 26th July 2018 08:39 AM

Amazing sword. Congratulations! The Second Occupation of Cuba, also called the Cuban Pacification, occurred 1906-09.

I wonder if the engraving of the arm coming out of the sun grasping a key is an allusion to accepting the surrender or keys of the City of Havanna?

Is the grip made from horn or turtle?

drac2k 26th July 2018 03:09 PM

Thanks.Two great questions.The first one makes sense, however if you are referring to the image on the sword blade,than I think it is the reoccurring Collins motif and I think you are correct on the second.

Victrix 26th July 2018 03:32 PM

Yes I think you are right about the motif on the blade. It looks like the one on the scabbard which is a hand holding a hammer emanating from a crown. With some imagination I thought the hammer looked like a key.