Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Keris panjang for comment (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24272)

sirek 11th September 2018 07:21 PM

Keris panjang for comment

11 Attachment(s)
I was lucky to added this keris panjang to my collection
total length of 69cm/27,1” -the blade without pesi 56,5cm/ 22.2”
a nice keris was hidden under a lot of rust and dirt, a blade without pamor en with a square pesi I think the middle part of the gandar is made of horn

I will welcome any and allcomments about this keris,

David 12th September 2018 07:10 AM

Nice example Sirek.
I'm not surprised to see no pamor as that seems normal for most older examples of these.
The squared off pesi seems pretty unusual though.
Is the hilt wood or horn?

Jean 12th September 2018 08:59 AM

Nice old kris indeed, congratulations!
I think that the hilt is made from black horn (see chip at the base). The blade & scabbard may not be originally matching. You could do a bit better on the cleaning process as there is some residual rust. :)
Regards

sirek 12th September 2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean
. You could do a bit better on the cleaning process as there is some residual rust. :)
Regards

cleaning is not finished yet, but clean enough to show him in advance :D

and i also believe that the hilt is made of horn

David 13th September 2018 02:40 PM

I am surprised we aren't getting more comments on this squared off pesi. I certainly isn't unheard of, but it is unusual.

David 13th September 2018 02:42 PM

Also wondering what folks think of the "mendak" in place. It seems too small to refer to as a pendokok. It seems out of place in this ensemble and if this were mine i would probably seek to replace it with a proper pendokok.

sirek 13th September 2018 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by David
Also wondering what folks think of the "mendak" in place. It seems too small to refer to as a pendokok. It seems out of place in this ensemble and if this were mine i would probably seek to replace it with a proper pendokok.

David I think you're right, this model would be a better choice.

I have tried to search in old threats, but a square pesi is not much discussed in this forum, :shrug:

Paul B. 14th September 2018 05:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In addition to David's comment:
an example of a squarish pesi and I have had / seen a few more.

PS> What about Sirek's 'even' greneng, they seem unusual to me ? Worn off ?

Jean 14th September 2018 08:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The blade from Sirek looks very old. Squarish pesi are found on antique Javanese Jalak Budha blades but from the pics of this panjang blade I would rather called it a flattened pesi than squarish. I own one gana hilt for a Sumatra kris with a rectangular pesi hole, see pic.
Regards

David 14th September 2018 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B.
What about Sirek's 'even' greneng, they seem unusual to me ? Worn off ?

Yes Paul, i had assumed the greneng are simply worn down over time.

David 14th September 2018 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean
The blade from Sirek looks very old. Squarish pesi are found on antique Javanese Jalak Budha blades but from the pics of this panjang blade I would rather called it a flattened pesi than squarish. I own one gana hilt for a Sumatra kris with a rectangular pesi hole, see pic.

Well Jean, i agree that this pesi isn't actually "square" which is why i keep referring to it as "squared off".
Your gana example is nice, though the particular photo you posted does not actually reveal the rectangular hole. But i certainly do believe you. :)

Jean 14th September 2018 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
Well Jean, i agree that this pesi isn't actually "square" which is why i keep referring to it as "squared off".
Your gana example is nice, though the particular photo you posted does not actually reveal the rectangular hole. But i certainly do believe you. :)

Ha-ha, I have rounded the pesi hole since I bought it :D
The cross section of the hilt is oval so I am not fully sure that it was originally fitted on a kris, but rather on another weapon.
Regards

sirek 26th October 2018 12:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have found a right selut that fits better,