Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Unusual African Broadsword (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7383)

stephen wood 23rd October 2008 10:00 PM

Unusual African Broadsword

3 Attachment(s)
Hello

I recently came across this sword - just over 37" long, a kaskara type blade, no crossguard and leatherwork of the kind usually found on Manding swords.

Has anyone seen one like this before?

ariel 23rd October 2008 10:29 PM

Yup. They used trade blades and come in all shapes and sizes.

stephen wood 23rd October 2008 10:39 PM

...who used trade blades?

TVV 23rd October 2008 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephen wood
...who used trade blades?

More or less all of Northern Africa. If I recall correctly, in his book on African Arms, in the chapter dedicated to Sudanic Africa, Spring mentions that the city of Kano in Northern Nigeria (still ruled by an Emir today!) was a major trading center, where no less than 50,000 blades were imported from Europe annually. The blades were hilted there according to local preferences, and then sold all over Northern Africa, even as far as Khartoum.
In other words, it is not so unusual for a sword with a "kaskara" blade to be mounted in Manding fashion.
Nice sword, congratulations.
Teodor

stephen wood 23rd October 2008 11:38 PM

Thanks...that explains the 1822 Cavalry Sabres rehilted takouba style, and so on...

Jim McDougall 24th October 2008 12:31 AM

As Teodor has well stated, these triple fuller trade blades, typically Solingen products, were indeed used profusely throughout North Africa, most prevalent in the Tuareg takoubas of the Sahara, and the Sudanese 'kaskara'. There were various points of entry into the trade caravan routes, but Kano was was of the key dispersal centers.

The cylindrical hilt mounted with this trade broadsword blade is very similar to examples seen as far west as Sierra Leone, but certainly is likely to occur in regions as far inland as Mali, the primary domain of the Manding. The leather work on this does appear Manding,but without the typical trappings seen on the usual guardless sabres. These Manding sabres usually are mounted with European cavalry blades, natually most often French.

The curved blade examples of takouba mentioned often also have the European cavalry blades, and according to research done by Lee Jones seem to be termed 'alguinjar'. The term seems to be generally applied to takoubas outside the general standard with regular broadsword blades. One place that comes to mind with provenanced example of one of these curved blade takoubas is Ougadougou, Burkina Faso (formerly Upper Volta). Another instance of 'alguinjar' was one from same general area mounted with a straight British infantry officers blade by Mole.

Best regards,
Jim

stephen wood 24th October 2008 12:47 AM

...very interesting. I have students from Burkina Faso, Mali, Guinea, Senegal - maybe it's time I did a show and tell with some of my pieces :)

The triple-fullered trade blades must have been archaic by European standards in the 19th century - were Solingen makers producing them for this (considerable) niche market?

Jim McDougall 24th October 2008 01:32 AM

Hi Stephen,
The Solingen swordsmiths were probably one of the most dynamic manufacturing and marketing machines in the history of commerce in my opinion. They became dominant in the production of blades that were indeed tailored to whatever market they were intended for.

In "Book of the Sword" (R.Burton, 1884, p.162) it is noted that Henry Barth ("Travels in Central Africa 1849-1855", London, 1875) states that "...the blade, made mostly in Solingen, characterizes the free and noble Imoshagh; and all travellers remark that it preserves the old knightly form of crusading days". It is footnoted by Burton that English and Styrian 'razors' are also largely imported.
Other resources also confirm that German blades were still coming into the trade network in the 19th century, while many earlier blades, constantly traded and remounted were prevalent across North Africa.

The fact that these broadswords, by European standards of the time, and that these North African warriors still wore chain link armour, led to the much romaticized myths about these being the weapons of the Crusaders.

I think show and tell would be a great idea!! I used to work with a number of folks from various African countries, and enjoyed talking with them about where they were from. Their eyes would light up with joy and pride when they realized I was so interested in their countries and that I knew much of the history, pleasing them very much.

All the best,
Jim

stephen wood 30th October 2008 06:03 PM

...come to think of it, the blade would not be out of place on a Scots basket hilt - German trade blades hilted locally and sold on to tribal people...

Jim McDougall 31st October 2008 01:38 AM

Quote:

...come to think of it, the blade would not be out of place on a Scots basket hilt - German trade blades hilted locally and sold on to tribal people...

Well observed Stephen.....the incredible German sword blade machine indeed produced blades for international clientele, and it is well established that virtually all the blades on Scottish baskethilts were 'Grosse Schotten' , the heavy broadsword blades for the Scots. The age of the true Scottish basket hilt however came to a close with the tragic '45 (the Scottish Jacobite Rebellion of 1745), and the proscription of all Scottish weaponry....even the stirring bagpipes!!!

Best regards,
Jim

stephen wood 31st October 2008 04:47 PM

...I took the sword in to show some of my students - a man from Guinea whose first language is Bambara had seen the type before and he called it a sabre (French pronunciation) and said that they are worn on a sling over the arm, that is, like a kaskara. This is consistent with the fact that it is a very good fit in the scabbard so doesn't mind being upside-down and the fact that you can see the marks where rings or loops were attached. They are said to be ceremonial - this one is not sharpened - and are used as wall-hangers.

I imagine it may originally have been decorated as per curved Manding swords - there appears to be a very worn maker's mark - maybe a knight's head (Kirschbaum?) - but this might be a patch of wear in the place where we would expect to find one - after a little cleaning I will post an image...
:)

Jim McDougall 31st October 2008 09:56 PM

Quote:

...I took the sword in to show some of my students - a man from Guinea whose first language is Bambara had seen the type before and he called it a sabre (French pronunciation) and said that they are worn on a sling over the arm, that is, like a kaskara. This is consistent with the fact that it is a very good fit in the scabbard so doesn't mind being upside-down and the fact that you can see the marks where rings or loops were attached. They are said to be ceremonial - this one is not sharpened - and are used as wall-hangers.

I imagine it may originally have been decorated as per curved Manding swords - there appears to be a very worn maker's mark - maybe a knight's head (Kirschbaum?) - but this might be a patch of wear in the place where we would expect to find one - after a little cleaning I will post an image...
:)

That is excellent Stephen!! and it is exciting to hear of the interaction with students from these fascinating regions viewing a weapon from those very regions!
It is also especially interesting to hear from someone from Guinea, and his perspective. I once had a very good friend who was of Fulani tribe and lived in Guinea. He too recognized the Manding swords of the curved sabre form and termed them something like 'kota' or similar word in his language (though he of course also spoke French). These swords were invariably mounted with French sabre blades, so it would make sense that the term 'sabre' would become collectively used in reference to 'sword'.
This is a prevalent situation for example with the Arabian sa'if, which means sword, and is seen applied to any number of swords from Moroccan 'nimchas' to Sudanese 'kaskaras'.

The swords described by your student as being worn on the arm, if I understand correctly, may actually be a straight blade sword much like this, and from Mandara and associated tribes in Cameroon near the Nigerian border. While they are similar in having no guard, and a simple hilt with a type of peaked pommel, they may well have been known in Guinea, and as noted, strikingly similar to this West African sword with apparant Manding mounts.

If your student is suggesting these Manding swords were worn on the arm in the manner of these Cameroon Mandara swords I would say that though the appearance is similar, these Manding swords were not worn on the arm to my knowledge.
Although the Mandara blades worn on the arm are of considerable length, they are not nearly as long as this 'kaskara' blade would be at full length (usually about 33-36").

The kaskara of the Sudan is often worn in a scabbard over the warriors back, or slung tightly under the arm, but never on the arm. Thus perhaps by 'in a sling over the arm' your student refers to the tight underarm sling, not the armband mount....would that be correct?

I think it is great that you are bringing weapons into study, as I think they are incredibly important icons of culture, tradition and history that should be considered for the subtle artistic symbolism and features they carry rather than the grim, violent connotation often suggested. Most ethnographic weapons have become elements of traditional dress and accoutrement in modern times, and this perspective should take precedence.

All best regards,
Jim

kahnjar1 31st October 2008 11:11 PM

Not that I am that knowledgeable about broadswords, or for that matter swords in general, I see a DEFINATE similarily between this sword and the Omani Katarra. The hilt particularly is almost identical.
I have seen continental blades on MANY Ethiopian swords and in fact if you go to www.ancient-east.com/collection many of these are shown. :)

Jim McDougall 1st November 2008 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Not that I am that knowledgeable about broadswords, or for that matter swords in general, I see a DEFINATE similarily between this sword and the Omani Katarra. The hilt particularly is almost identical.
I have seen continental blades on MANY Ethiopian swords and in fact if you go to www.ancient-east.com/collection many of these are shown. :)

Right on Stu!! The Omani kattara's seem to have often carried the same type blades used on kaskaras, and these blades probably entered the same trade routes from points of entry in the Red Sea. The influence of Omani kattaras is seen as far west as Mali in the typically mounted Manding sabres as well as our example here, in the distinct guardless hilt shape. The Moroccan s'boula daggers carried thier influence as far as Zanzibar, while the return trade routes may well have carried the Omani kattara form to Mali and clearly further west.

Its amazing how much diffusion and influence is directly related to the complex Arab trade routes, and connected to routes into inland regions on to trans Saharan trade caravans.

All the best,
Jim

stephen wood 1st November 2008 12:30 PM

...I have just found this thread:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...durman+manding

- this piece is very similar to mine and has the typical decorations associated with Manding scabbards although unlike mine it has the usual flared end.

In this article:

http://www.victorianmilitarysociety....an_weapons.pdf

it is said that the Western Sudanic broadsword could be used two-handed - effectively a hand-and-a-half sword, whereas, as we know, the kaskara and takouba appear emphatically one-handed. The grip on mine, just over 6" and divided by a decorarive band seems to bear this out.

So perhaps broadswords were pan-Sudanic, hilted and decorated according to local custom. When an influx of different, curved blades occured, the Manding type was eclipsed whereas the takouba was hardly affected.

Jim McDougall 1st November 2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

...I have just found this thread:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...durman+manding

- this piece is very similar to mine and has the typical decorations associated with Manding scabbards although unlike mine it has the usual flared end.

In this article:

http://www.victorianmilitarysociety....an_weapons.pdf

it is said that the Western Sudanic broadsword could be used two-handed - effectively a hand-and-a-half sword, whereas, as we know, the kaskara and takouba appear emphatically one-handed. The grip on mine, just over 6" and divided by a decorarive band seems to bear this out.

So perhaps broadswords were pan-Sudanic, hilted and decorated according to local custom. When an influx of different, curved blades occured, the Manding type was eclipsed whereas the takouba was hardly affected.

Well done Stephan!!! I had forgotten about that thread!
You present some very well placed ideas and thank you for these links offered in support. This kaskara bladed broadsword in Manding mounts AND the distinct flared scabbard tip consistant in the Sudan is key here. I had often wondered why the flared Sudanese scabbard tip was also characteristic in the Manding sabre of Mali.

Clearly there was trade connection and diffusion of weapons between the Western and Eastern Sudan, but why did the takouba remain unaffected by these features?

Your idea for broadswords being pan-Sudanic ( I like that term!) is very well placed. The broadsword blades coming into North Africa were arriving not just at one point, but a number of locations and carried into the trans Saharan routes from multiple directions, so this seems quite logical. Diffusion is by no means a set, singular pattern, and far more complex than often realized.

Excellent thoughts here Stephen, thank you so much!!

All the best,
Jim