Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Islamic arms and armor book? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1378)

Miyamoto 24th October 2005 02:45 PM

Islamic arms and armor book?

Hi!

I'd like to buy some books about Islamic indopersian, north african and of course turksh and balkan arms and amrour in english langage (or italian if they actually exists):

What titles do you suggest?

Jens Nordlunde 24th October 2005 04:48 PM

Hi Miyamoto,

There are many books, so could you please be a bit more specific about the areas you are interested in, and what kind of weapons?

Miyamoto 24th October 2005 05:51 PM

Hi!

I've meant books depicting kulah kuds, shamshirs, battle axes from the period 16-19 century as well as books depicting Ottoman blades from the same period.

I know that there are a coupple of gorgeus russian books, but I'm unable to read russian :o

Yannis 24th October 2005 07:26 PM

I suggest

1. "Islamic weapons - Magrib to Moghul" by Anthony C. Tirri
2. "Islamic arms" by Anthony North

Aqtai 25th October 2005 03:36 PM

H. R. Robinson's "Oriental Armour", while somewhat dated, is still excellent value for money.

I also found a nice Polish book, which also has captions in English, on Indo-Persian arms and Armour.

If you have a bit of cash to spare, get David Alexander's book on the Khalili Collection Arms and armour.

If you have lots and lots of cash, get Robert Elgood's "Islamic Arms and Armour". BTW this book is VERY expensive and I don't own it. :D

Jens Nordlunde 25th October 2005 05:01 PM

There are many different books, but most of them you will have to look for on the net, as they are out of print. Do you have any addresses on antiquarians on the net?

I can’t help you much as my interest is on Indian weapons, but here is one.

Robert Elgood: The Arms and Armour of Arabia in the 18th-19th and 20th Century. Scholar Press, 1994.

Also have a look at the Swap Forum here on Vikingsword, where some books from Turkish museums are for sale at the moment. I am sure the seller can help you with titles on books about Ottoman weapons.

Notice that the Elgood book mentioned by Aqtai was not written by Elgood, he was the editor, but it is a very interesting book.

Aqtai 25th October 2005 06:53 PM

I stand corrected. :D

I tend to buy books from abebooks.com, they can get almost anything, although they can be very pricey.

Edit: The Polish book was "Persian Arms And Armour of the 16th-19th Centuries" by Andrzej Chodynski BTW. It's basically a museum catalogue, but it has some beautiful colour pictures.