Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   helmet (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18764)

Miles82 15th July 2014 02:33 PM

helmet

3 Attachment(s)
hi! do you know something about this helmet? the datation, the type etc?

A Senefelder 15th July 2014 05:58 PM

Some pictures of the inside would be helpful in figuring this helmet out. Based on the little that can be gathered from the pics i'd say that this is unfinished whatever it is. It has the lines vaguely of a burgonet. It does not appear to have had the necessary small notch made nor the rivet holes for mounting the hinges that would affix the cheek plates. I can only make out two smallish paired flat headed rivets near the browline of the right hand front side which are not appropriate for holding in an entire liner and the helmet from what I can see has no other rivet holes for attaching one. There is a decent sized ding missing from the comb which gives the appearance of it being very thick. Do you know how much this weights? The comb appears from the profile picture to run all the way down the back of the helmet to its terminus at the neck which is an bit of an odd feature. Some crisp pics of the inside would be of some help.

Miles82 15th July 2014 06:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
other 2 pics... yes it's thick

Miles82 15th July 2014 06:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
other 2 pics...yes it si thicker

Miles82 15th July 2014 06:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
other 2 pics.. yes it si thicker

Timo Nieminen 16th July 2014 02:09 AM

My first thought was "fireman's helmet". The crest and deep neckguard are common features on them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fi..._HallFlame.JPG

Modern infantry helmets don't have deep neckguards, since they'd get in the way when lying down. Doesn't look look like a pre-modern military helmet to me.

Miles82 16th July 2014 06:19 AM

but i don't have find anything looks like firearms helmet too

kronckew 16th July 2014 09:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
reminds me of a french taunting helmet.

Miles82 16th July 2014 10:02 AM

the helmet is from southern france

Miles82 16th July 2014 11:19 AM

it si from southern france

Miles82, Please allow time for your posts to be moderated. Making double or triple postings of the same information is not necessary.

Best,
Robert

A Senefelder 16th July 2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

My first thought was "fireman's helmet".
This certainly can't be ruled out as especially in 19th century European examples there were some with deep backs and the variety of large, usually attached crests/ridges in the center often went most of the way down the back neckline. A few thought on that, 1) the crest/medial ridge, in most all early fireman's helmets I've seen this is a separate attached piece rather, 2) construction, many were made of leather but when made of metal were often of brass.

The inside pics are bit light an fuzzy so I can't be certain but it doesn't appear on either end ( front or back ) of the medial ridge that the helmet is welded in two halves, but there are some marks/spot in the peak of the ridge, one of which seems to correspond to external damage to the ridge that appear due to the fuzzy character of the pic as if they might be welding. Is the helmet welded along the peak of the medial ridge or is this from damage to the medial ridge? The internal pics aren't showing me any evidence that this helmet was ever set up to hold a liner, if this were a fireman's helmet, at least a finished one it would have one.

Would it be possible to get something approximating a real weight in pounds/kilograms? There's a big difference between a 2 pound helmet and a 7-8 pound helmet and what they may have been meant for ( i'm thinking in terms of field weight vs. siege weight ala 16/17th century armour ).

Miles82 16th July 2014 01:00 PM

it is from southern France..it is damaged..it is welded to the medial ridge

A Senefelder 16th July 2014 09:10 PM

Quote:

it is damaged..it is welded to the medial ridge
Are the welds applied only to the damaged areas or along the entire inside length of the medial ridge?

Miles82 17th July 2014 07:02 AM

seems to be in the entire ridge

A Senefelder 17th July 2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

seems to be in the entire ridge
Well that would tend to point to later 19th or 20 century in terms of dating. Perhaps it was intended to be some sort of fire helmet after all. It still has an " unfinished " feel to me as if it was never taken to completion with a helmet liner ect, but that's pure speculation on my part.

Jim McDougall 15th August 2014 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew
reminds me of a french taunting helmet.

Who are this bunch of merry men?

Gustav 15th August 2014 08:07 PM

Jim, is it really so that you didn't know one of the most splendid movies about the Middle Ages? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGXx56WqqJw

Gustav 15th August 2014 08:56 PM

Same movie, other type of helmet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Hz1KhN8u8

kronckew 15th August 2014 09:44 PM

i especially recommend the english cavalry mounts and accoutrements for their historical accuracy and the astounding detail, as well as the obvious extent of the training and physical conditioning required for the period accurate battle scenes. the detail on the holy hand grenade of ntioch is amazing. one of the greatest historical arms and armour movies of all time.

Oliver Pinchot 16th August 2014 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
James, is it possible that after lo, these many years, you've never heard the Sacred Word??

Andrew 17th August 2014 12:40 AM

Please don't, Oliver. Or you may be compelled to find a shrubbery... :D

Oliver Pinchot 17th August 2014 06:40 AM

Something tasteful... not too expensive

Jim McDougall 19th August 2014 04:32 AM

OK you band of merry hysterical movie buffs!!! Yes Oliver, it is all coming back to me!!! the sacred words....the shrubbery, and of course those trusty English steeds into battle!!!:)
These classics never get old!

drac2k 19th August 2014 06:16 PM

While "in Search of the Holy Grail," is a great movie, I prefer "Jabberwocky."