Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mystery sword #153 (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3213)

Bill M 23rd September 2006 04:25 PM

Mystery sword #153

5 Attachment(s)
I got this mostly because I like the hilt. Appears to be carved horn. Could be wood. 26" over all length. Single edged along the curved side.

I really appreciate the Forumites' help in ID'ing this piece!

Flavio 23rd September 2006 04:46 PM

Hi Bill, beautiful sword!! On Zonneveld this is called klevang from Sumatra, Batak .
Hope this help :)

Bill M 23rd September 2006 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavio
Hi Bill, beautiful sword!! On Zonneveld this is called klevang from Sumatra, Batak .
Hope this help :)

Thanks, Flavio. I love the Batak carvings! Did not place it there, but it makes sense. Bought it at a live auction on Boston about two years ago.

Any other input?

CharlesS 26th September 2006 01:50 PM

Probably the best of these I've seen both in execution of the blade and the hilt. Quite nice!

Mark 26th September 2006 04:05 PM

I am struck by how much the pattern of the carving resembles Burmese wood and ivory carving (southern Burmese, that is, right above the Malay peninsula is where a lot was originally done). The piece is completely different from anything Burmese, so I'm not suggesting its from there. Hopefully I can find a good photo for comparison. Stay tuned.

Ferguson 26th September 2006 07:30 PM

Absolutely stunning.

Steve

VVV 26th September 2006 07:37 PM

Beautiful!

That's a great hilt.
Haven't seen them before with silver, like yours.

Michael

katana 26th September 2006 10:21 PM

Even though I cannot help with ID...I can appreciate a well crafted weapon...very nice Bill :)

Bill M 26th September 2006 10:36 PM

All right guys, you got me cleaning the hilt!

3 Attachment(s)
Had to see the silver cleaned.

Does anyone know what this sword is called? Best I have so far is a Batak.

Don't really want to keep calling it "Mystery Sword 153!"

VVV 26th September 2006 11:07 PM

How about Klewang as Flavio posted?

According to van Zonneveld as well as Sibeth's Batak book it's Batak.
But according to Fisher's Leiden catalogue on Sumatra it's from (or found in) Palembang.
Actually the scabbard, and shape of the blade, of those Klewang look more Palembang than Batak?

Michael

Bill M 27th September 2006 12:15 AM

I have it on good authority that it is

"very nice, but I would say that it not Batak. It looks to me from the style and quality of workmanship to be from the Palambang area of Sumatra."

I think that you are right VVV.

Battara 27th September 2006 12:48 AM

You know, cleaning the silver raises the value. It's bronze that should never be cleaned (steel is a different subject). Age will already darken recesses that add definition of the design. Just food for thought. ;)