Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A VERY Strange Sword: What is it and where is it from??!! (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14738)

CharlesS 17th December 2011 09:23 PM

A VERY Strange Sword: What is it and where is it from??!!

6 Attachment(s)
This is certainly one of the most unusal pieces I have ever encountered. The sword is 35in. overall, with a 24in. blade that is thick and heavy, pattern welded and hooks downward at the end. It is single edged and very sharp. The hilt is horn carved with a small "checkered" pattern with brass, star-shaped, rivet caps. The bolsters are brass and intricately chieselled. The hilt's pommel is just slightly "earred".

There seem to be Ottoman and S. Indian influences...I am not sure. There are hints of a ram dao, and a S. Indian sword, as well as an Ottoman yataghan all wrapped into one! It seems a total anomaly.

Any comments and info on this are appreciated.

Stan S. 18th December 2011 12:44 AM

I am almost positive this is a Nepalese ram dao but I am thrown off by what looks like Islamic decoration (crescent moons and sex-pointed starts). A very impressive looking sword by the way. What are the dimensions?

Dmitry 18th December 2011 12:51 AM

This is totally not my forte, but the length of the grip, along with the unusual blade termination and the heft point towards an executioner's tool. The bolster between the hilt and the blade is Ottoman in style, yatagan-like.

ariel 18th December 2011 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan S.
sex-pointed starts

Freudian slip? :-) :-)

Stan S. 18th December 2011 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel
Freudian slip? :-) :-)

Yes, LOL :o

CharlesS 28th December 2011 01:24 PM

I am getting the impression that most are as perplexed by this one as I am! :confused:

Stan S. 28th December 2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesS
I am getting the impression that most are as perplexed by this one as I am! :confused:

Its a Ram Dao or something very similar - it has to be! Perhaps a sacrificial sword from elsewhere in India? This still does not explain islamic features but that would be the best guess :shrug: Also, I have in my collection a sword showing identical damascus pattern on the blade, which is undoubtely of Indian manufacture, and while the blade is of a distinctly different shape (spatulate), it may not be too far fetched if they both originate from the same locale.

A.alnakkas 28th December 2011 04:40 PM

Hello,

The hilt is defintely turkish in style. It could be a state gift ram dao that got rehilted in a turkish style?:P just guessing hehe

RSWORD 28th December 2011 10:20 PM

When thinking about Ottoman influences in Indian arms one might look at the Coorgi(sp?) as a possibility. The Ottomans had extensive involvement there from the 16th century onward. Matter of fact, years ago I had a very nice Ayda Katti that had a rather Turkish crescent moon on the handle. Matter of fact, when you look at the Ayda Katti it also has a somewhat downturned blade like this example. I believe many of the Ayda Katti also have checkered grips. Maybe this is a Coorg sword?

Berkley 29th December 2011 12:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think it possible that the symbols are variants of the classic Nepalese surya and chandra (sun and moon) symbols.

Gavin Nugent 29th December 2011 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSWORD
When thinking about Ottoman influences in Indian arms one might look at the Coorgi(sp?) as a possibility. The Ottomans had extensive involvement there from the 16th century onward. Matter of fact, years ago I had a very nice Ayda Katti that had a rather Turkish crescent moon on the handle. Matter of fact, when you look at the Ayda Katti it also has a somewhat downturned blade like this example. I believe many of the Ayda Katti also have checkered grips. Maybe this is a Coorg sword?

Good call Rick.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 30th December 2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSWORD

Salaams RSWORD ~ I am well out of my comfort zone on this item however it does look South Indian/ Malibari and I understand the Coorg is the national weapon there but... its a quite different shape. Coorgs are like inverted kukri? sickle blades, quite squat~ to my understanding. The grip is clearly a two hander. This looks like a very formidable first strike sort of weapon and my first thoughts were executioners ! :eek: Is it not Malaysian or Indonesian? The star and moon is Islamic but which area?... It looks orientalish... Nice to see ..
Salaams,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.