Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Shearing blades. (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15085)

David R 16th February 2012 11:57 AM

Shearing blades.

3 Attachment(s)
Just a short post that might be of interest, about wide flat multi fullered blades of a kind often called "shearing blades". Anyone who is familiar with Kaskara/Saif from the Sudan will know the type, often with half moon or other bladesmiths marks, usualy? made in Solingen.
Imagine my surprise when I saw the pictured blade, from a second century context in Moesgard, Denmark. I had always thought them a late type, 17th cent. onwards.
Note also the short tang with rivited on extension, a repair...or was it made like that.
Pics downloaded from the internet, so hopefully no copyright problems.

Stan S. 17th February 2012 01:48 AM

I am amazed that the gold or brass inlayed figure is still intact and clearly recognazable even after all these centuries!

Dom 17th February 2012 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan S.
I am amazed that the gold or brass inlayed figure is still intact and clearly recognazable even after all these centuries!

Hi Stan
clear yellow like that, no mark of oxidation ... it's not brass or copper
it's GOLD :p

à +

Dom

Atlantia 17th February 2012 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That would have been a very fine sword indeed, Beautiful pattern welded blade.
The figure looks like Mars to me.

Matchlock 17th February 2012 02:24 PM

Hi David R,

I am inclined to doubt whether the colloquial modern term 'shearing blades' actually conveys the correct impression of an antique and top-ranking Damascus steel blade like this. Its quality is certainly among the best that I have ever seen. As a 'Late Medieval man', I wish we could learn more about this kind of early blades.

In my opinion, the blade seems to originate from the Viking era, and the riveted tang would be a later addition.

Best,
Michael

David R 17th February 2012 06:40 PM

The excavators are pretty definate about the date, 2nd C AD, and confident that this and the bulk, if not all,of the blades were made in the North Western Roman Empire. Preservation in the Danish and Jutland bogs is very good for certain materials, and markedly poor for others, copper alloys in the display cases are bright. Wooden boards from shields and shafts from spears,and also some leatherwork, survive. The museum is a treasurehouse, as are the Nydamshalle in Schleswige and the National Museum in Copenhagen. For me, what makes this relevant to the "Ethnic" section is such an early appearance of a blade type we are familiar with in "Trade" blades, even to it's short tang, and the fact that it is in fact a "trade blade" itself, and probably made not that far away from Solingen.

Atlantia 17th February 2012 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Michael,

Looks 'Roman' (Empire or Influence) to me.
The pommel nut doesn't look Viking.The standing figure matches Roman designs and the date of second century would certainly post-date the beginning of Roman influence in 'Denmark'.
Pattern welded blades of this type were certainly known to the Romans and many second century Roman swords were pattern welded. I think also various Celtic peoples were making them at that time. I have heard of other Roman swords with riveted tangs. Would seem illogical to be the 'norm' though.

Best
Gene

Edit: The Romans were making swords not unlike my Kindjal then