Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Stuff (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13858)

A.alnakkas 29th May 2011 09:20 PM

New Stuff

5 Attachment(s)
I got those 2 daggers off a trade. Had this sword that I get angry by looking at (long story) so traded it with an Omani Khanjar and a Yemeni dagger.

Here's the picts:

kahnjar1 30th May 2011 05:40 AM

Nice pair. I really like that Yemeni. Have been looking for one of those for a while. Don't suppose the original owner has another?
Stu

Atlantia 30th May 2011 07:30 AM

Nice!!

Can we see the blade on the Omani? What's the hilt?

=)

Best
Gene

A.alnakkas 30th May 2011 01:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Nice pair. I really like that Yemeni. Have been looking for one of those for a while. Don't suppose the original owner has another?
Stu

Hello Stu,

Thanks :-) Sorry to say but thats the only one I seen in kuwait. Though I'll have you in mind if I ever get bored of it ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantia
Nice!!

Can we see the blade on the Omani? What's the hilt?

=)

Best
Gene

Hey Gene,

The hilt is horn but am not sure of which unfortunate animal ;-p done a hot needle test and the hilt is transparent. The blade looks to be a decent forged blade but common in most omani daggers? its surely better then the flimsy ones used in common yemeni daggers. Looks chromed though.

Regards,

Abdullatif

Pictures:

Atlantia 30th May 2011 01:12 PM

Excellent! Two more worthy additions to your collection.

:)

ariel 30th May 2011 05:36 PM

i was often wondering how was the blade attached to the smaller handle ( on the right). Was the inside of the handle filled with some kind of mastic?
There is an identical one on e-bay now, I asked the owner this question, but he did not deign to reply.
Can you help?

A.alnakkas 30th May 2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantia
Excellent! Two more worthy additions to your collection.

:)

Thanks Gene!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel
i was often wondering how was the blade attached to the smaller handle ( on the right). Was the inside of the handle filled with some kind of mastic?
There is an identical one on e-bay now, I asked the owner this question, but he did not deign to reply.
Can you help?

Hello Ariel,

It is inserted between two wooden pieces and lodged inside the hilt. Will try to get day light pictures in the morning tommorow (lighting in my room isnt that great for photo's)

On the back side of the dagger, its inscriped with the makers name "Amal Yousef Paland Futhi Yal" This is not an arabic name so I think its made by a Yemenite Jew.

I also heard that those were mainly used by the Jews of Yemen? At first i thought its just an extra accessory to the Yemeni Janbiya set.

katana 30th May 2011 06:58 PM

The yemini blade looks to be a re-worked file. Often these blades (ex-files) make exceedingly nice and sharp knives...assuming the smith re-tempered the blade correctly. The Omani looks like a Rino horn handle....if you are not certain, post close-ups of the 'end grain' should look like 'orange peel'.

Regards David

A.alnakkas 30th May 2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katana
The yemini blade looks to be a re-worked file. Often these blades (ex-files) make exceedingly nice and sharp knives...assuming the smith re-tempered the blade correctly. The Omani looks like a Rino horn handle....if you are not certain, post close-ups of the 'end grain' should look like 'orange peel'.

Regards David

Hello Katana,

Yes it is Re-worked file. The blade is not sharpened though. Is it true that re-working file is very difficult?

Will try to get pictures of close-ups on the hilt tommorow :)

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 5th June 2011 06:00 PM

Omani and Yemei Daggers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
I got those 2 daggers off a trade. Had this sword that I get angry by looking at (long story) so traded it with an Omani Khanjar and a Yemeni dagger.

Here's the picts:

Salaams.
Thats good, the Khanjar is from the Batinah Coast. Looks like a bullhorn or cowhorn ("baker") hilt. Nice enough sample. Blade probably an import. The blades are held in by pitch by the way.
I liked the Yemeni Jewish Knife possibly pre 1948. Good blades also made out of lorry suspension bars. :shrug: