Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Iron Age or Roman Sword (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20634)

templarnight 23rd October 2015 04:52 PM

Iron Age or Roman Sword

5 Attachment(s)
Hi

I have bought this Sword from a closing down Museum in the UK, by repute it was found in Selby, Yorkshire.

Its made of Iron and has a turned Brass Pommel that I am confident is contemporary.

The Material intrigues me and I wonder what its there for?

The length is 95cm. The Pommel is 4.1cm long. Maximum width of the Blade is 34mm.

You may not be able to make it out but the Blade tapers in slightly in the Middle, kind of Leaf Shaped but only just.

Can anyone suggest any similar types?

Many thanks

templarnight 25th October 2015 12:56 AM

Any ideas?

Bob A 25th October 2015 02:16 AM

I con't comment on the sword, but the textile fragment must certainly be considerably more recent. don't think it could survive contact with iron oxide for a prolonged period without disintegrating.

My experience of iron-based dyes on wool - used to create a black color in the pile - is that wool so treated would become so brittle that it would wear down to the warp and weft over several decades.

Not much help, alas.

ulfberth 25th October 2015 09:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Templar,

The blade look like the relics of an Oakshot XVIIIb type blade, the reason it looks a bit leaf shaped is due to rust and and deterioration.
The pommel and textile are of later date.

Kind regards

Ulfberth

templarnight 25th October 2015 03:21 PM

I have to disagree. I'm sure that this blade is shaped by design rather than corrosion. I have a collection of medieval swords and really don't think it's medieval.
I also feel sure that the Pommel is original. I have seen ancient swords with this type of pommel but cannot think where I have seen them!

ulfberth 25th October 2015 04:08 PM

Hi Templar ,

of course if you can compare them in your hands you have a better view.
95 cm of length does seem very for long for a leaf blade, iron age or roman sword.

kind regards

Ulfberth

broadaxe 25th October 2015 11:02 PM

I'm thinking of Roman Spatha here. Two similar length swords were excavated in Masada and in Gamla, which makes it a very early Spatha (late 1st c. CE).

templarnight 26th October 2015 11:35 AM

Yes I felt it could be a Spatha. Are there any online sites where I can find the two you mention?

broadaxe 26th October 2015 12:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The sword from Masada is still in scientific process to my best knowledge, but I saw it in person.
Here is the sword from Gamla: