Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Displaying a belt - your suggestions.. (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11383)

Dmitry 28th January 2010 08:24 PM

Displaying a belt - your suggestions..

3 Attachment(s)
I'm looking for suggestions or displaying this belt in a way which would not harm the leather, at the same time having a full view of the two-piece belt plate.
Any ideas?
This is a US Navy officer's sword belt with a 1852 Regulation belt plate. I would date it ca.1852-1875.

kahnjar1 29th January 2010 04:41 AM

What about around some sort of cylinder. Perhaps a short piece of large diameter PVC pipe. Buckle fastened of course.
Regards Stu

fernando 29th January 2010 07:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Or hanging it from a little (stilized) staff :shrug:

fernando 29th January 2010 07:36 PM

BTW, do you collect military belts?
Fernando

celtan 29th January 2010 08:46 PM

1. Place lengthwise inside a plastic transparent cylinder, hanging extended from a transversal pin through one of the tube's end's, engaging the "female" side of the beltplate. Stand the tube verticall on the opposite end.

2. Get a replica USN sword, hook it to the belt, put the sword in a vertical stand, and leave the belt hang vertically from same.

3. Within a long, shallow transparent acrylic box made and cut to order.

4. A 2D (card, foam, wood) board, painted and shaped like an union naval officer's jacket. Put it around it's waist.

5. Roll it, and place it within a transparent "hat box".

6. A a mannequin's torso

7. Connect both sides of the belt-plate. Place a small lifesaver, within the belt's confines, inflate and leave relatively tense.

8. Rolled around a replica naval officer's cap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmitry
I'm looking for suggestions or displaying this belt in a way which would not harm the leather, at the same time having a full view of the two-piece belt plate.
Any ideas?
This is a US Navy officer's sword belt with a 1852 Regulation belt plate. I would date it ca.1852-1875.

Gavin Nugent 30th January 2010 01:08 AM

A simple long framed board mount

1 Attachment(s)
There are many framers could help you mount this behind glass in a rectangular framed display, I have done it with a number of knives. They use a very fine stainless wire that is coated in clear rubber, choose a nice regal colour for the back ground and a nice neutral and simple pewter coloured frame. See one example of the Dha attached where I have left a larger portion of matting to the bottom of the frame so I could add a brass description plate should I need too, the local engravers have these pretty cheap if you wanted to add this too.

Gav

Dmitry 30th January 2010 01:56 AM

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I don't collect belts as a topic, but I do have three belts that came with their respective swords. Ideally I would somehow display them on the mannequins, but space is a big consideration!!! I have none.. :mad: