Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tombak Info (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1075)

Lei Shen Dao 9th August 2005 06:27 PM

Tombak Info

3 Attachment(s)
Hi again

This is a tombak, my girlfriend's to tell the truth. The only thing I know is that it was made only for women and it is for protection.

Could you please give me any help?

Battara 9th August 2005 10:17 PM

Originally it was a spear head that was later taken off to be used either as a talisman or personal dagger for protection, regardless of gender.

Lei Shen Dao 9th August 2005 11:42 PM

Dear Battara

thank you for your answer.

Yes, I know what a Tombak is, but this specific one is made only for women. I didn't make a description well maybe. I meant that it is for protection, but it's power is for women only. The empu made it for a woman. And this come from a very reliable source.

Anyway, thanks again :)

Battara 10th August 2005 09:52 PM

OH.....I see..... :o

Rick 10th August 2005 10:19 PM

What might that source be ? :confused:

Lei Shen Dao 10th August 2005 11:16 PM

Dear Battara

I didn't want to offend you. Sorry if it seemed that way, but my English aren't good for me to express corectly the meaning of my post.

In any case, sorry

Lei Shen Dao 10th August 2005 11:21 PM

Rick hi

The source is some people in Indonesia whom I trust and can see sometimes if a keris is a talisman or not.
Sorry I can't tell more.

I am here to learn, not to give the impression that I know things, people, etc.
Sorry if this came from me :o , it wasn't my purpose.

Take care

Rick 11th August 2005 12:58 AM

Javanese Empu

Was this tombak made by a Jawa Empu ?

nechesh 11th August 2005 01:12 AM

Lei Shen Dao, does "reliable" mean "infalible". I have to wonder, because it doesn't seem likely to me that given the culture, a tombak would be made for a woman. I am certainly not infalible and could be wrong on this point. There are. of course, keris made for women, known as patrem, which tend to be much smaller in size and simpler in pamor and dapur, but i am doubtful about tombak specific to that gender. If so i would like to hear more. :)

Lei Shen Dao 11th August 2005 01:50 AM

Rick, I really don't know.
The only think I know is that it is for protection of a woman. If this tombak is in a man's hands, it will never be full power (considering that the owner knows how to "handle" it). Only in the hands of a woman can have some value.
I know that is an old piece too, exept the woodwork which is totally new. Mostly of Javanese origin, but I am not sure.
That is all I know.

nechesh hi
as I told to Rick, the tuah for this works only for a woman (at least that I was told). I understand what you mean, it is very logical. But it is to my knowledge that some tombak are for women, princesses, etc.
When it was taken out of the weapon, it could be made as a talisman, so I guess that it could be for a woman too, for not be a weapon anymore.

Alam Shah 11th August 2005 03:17 AM

Can I request for a close-up clearer picture of the blade, Picture 2? :)
I know what you mean Lei. Nechesh do have a point too. An example of a patrem. Click here.

Lei Shen Dao 11th August 2005 10:46 AM

Dear Alam

thanks for the interest :)

Unfortunately I'm leaving for vacation and I don't have a photo machine available and these are the only photos I have. At the end of the month, I'll have a friend of mine to take new photos to send you.

Thanks again

Take care