Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   European dagger help needed (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22391)

La Gargouille 23rd February 2017 01:54 AM

European dagger help needed

6 Attachment(s)
Hello!

I have been a silent participant for a while now, and I believe this is my first active participation.

I recently bought this Dagger, of wich I have little information about.
So I come here to ask for your expertise to enlighten me about what you can tell by the images bellow.

The dagger was bought in a french antiquary, and came with a certificate dating it to the late XVII Century. It does not seem to have any sort of markings.

Thanks in advance!

MAC :)

Cerjak 23rd February 2017 08:18 AM

Hi

This dagger has a type of pommel and guard that I have never seen on European dagger from this period.
I 'm sorry for this bad news but this dagger is at best a victorian production .
best

CERJAK

La Gargouille 2nd March 2017 11:34 AM

Thanks for you reply Cerjak.

I'm a bit disappointed, altough I always knew it seemed too good to be true...

However I feel that the seller indeed thought we was selling a XVII century item, based on an "expert's" evaluation. - I will warn him about the skills of "the expert" he recurs to...

Can this dagger by any chance BE from that period, but just NOT European?

Thanks for any help!

La Gargouille 17th May 2017 01:35 AM

Help!

Hello,

Does anyone seen any dagger similar to this one?

Thanks in advance!

RobertGuy 18th May 2017 08:25 AM

The fullers in the ricasso block remind me of those found on some Victorian Scottish basket hilts. I think the blade has been cut down from something older.

Lee 18th May 2017 01:08 PM

Though I fear the previous posters are correct about a much later date for this example on the basis of the grain and texture of the metal, overall condition and style, I would like to note that the lengthwise fullers along the edges of the ricasso area also appear in earlier blades, including some swords from the Alexandria Arsenal group inscribed with the equivalent of 1432.

In due course (such as when I next find it) I'll have to share a dagger I bought in my early days from an established dealer as coming from a fine highly regarded collection. Maybe the dealer was telling the truth and it was a dud from early in that collector's collecting...

fernando 18th May 2017 01:49 PM

Bem-vindo ao forum MAC :).
I am more one the side of those who suggest this is a modern setup.
The fullers appear to be, in my ignorance, a crude work to suggest earlier reality. Hopefuly Lee will find and share the example he mentioned and with it a good sign of authenticity of yours.

mariusgmioc 18th May 2017 02:00 PM

Hello,

While it is difficult to form an educated oppinion from the photos, there are some details in the photos that make me believe this is of rather recent manufacture, in other words a fake.

Regards,

Marius

Gonzalo G 9th June 2017 02:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It could have a shortened blade, in my perception. As for the guards, I donīt know if this could help. The picture is a fresco in the Aarhus Cathedral in Denmark, 15th Century.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 15th June 2017 06:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Salaams Gonzalo That is a cracking piece of artwork showing the similar dagger form... Brilliantly placed !!
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.... :shrug:

Below examples of the split quilon from the armour clad troopers sword and shown separately a Scottish Claymore sword...with split quilons. Regret unable to find daggers however, perhaps the Mediaeval form on the artwork is a sword?