Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ottoman rifle for comment (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25967)

aspalathos 4th June 2020 10:35 AM

Ottoman rifle for comment

8 Attachment(s)
Hello folks just get this rifle,has some letter on barrel. Can someone translate it please?

TVV 4th June 2020 06:01 PM

Very nice gun, though probably technically not a rifle. I doubt anyone will be able to translate the markings on the barrel, as they were likely applied in imitation of marks on Italian made barrels.

kahnjar1 4th June 2020 08:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Nice Albanian Tanchika you have there.
I agree with Teodor re the inscription. I have a Tanchika with strange inscription also. Seems a quite common thing.......
Stu

Norman McCormick 5th June 2020 05:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi,
Seems to be quite a common occurrence with weapons from this area and likely done locally. Here is a pistol of mine with similar type markings. These inscriptions are usually untranslatable as they were done by illiterate workmen copying things with varying degrees of success.
Regards,
Norman.

P.S. A nice musket to have in your collection.

aspalathos 6th June 2020 08:59 PM

[QUOTE=TVV]Very nice gun, though probably technically not a rifle. I doubt anyone will be able to translate the markings on the barrel, as they were likely applied in imitation of marks on Italian made barrels.[/QUOTE

Hello tnx, I didnt know that!

aspalathos 6th June 2020 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Nice Albanian Tanchika you have there.
I agree with Teodor re the inscription. I have a Tanchika with strange inscription also. Seems a quite common thing.......
Stu

Hello Stu,tnx. What do you think how old it can be?

aspalathos 6th June 2020 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman McCormick
Hi,
Seems to be quite a common occurrence with weapons from this area and likely done locally. Here is a pistol of mine with similar type markings. These inscriptions are usually untranslatable as they were done by illiterate workmen copying things with varying degrees of success.
Regards,
Norman.

P.S. A nice musket to have in your collection.

Hello, tnx. A nice pistol. I have also few..

rickystl 6th June 2020 09:42 PM

Nice Albanian Tancika. Yes, it does seem that these Albanian muskets all have some type of spurious lettering on the top breech of the barrel. Often they are just stamped letters next to one another that have no meaning. Likely to give the prospective customer the impression that the barrel is from European origin. I suppose the customer often could not read/write their own language, much less English, Italian, etc.

Rick