Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Old Sundang with a Major Issue (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24651)

drac2k 19th January 2019 04:48 PM

Old Sundang with a Major Issue

11 Attachment(s)
This is a nice older Sundang, but as shown it has a major issue on the pommel. I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that there isn't a fix; right or is there ???

kai 19th January 2019 05:08 PM

Really nice kalis tulid from Sulu! What are its specs?

Quote:

This is a nice older Sundang, but as shown it has a major issue on the pommel. I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that there isn't a fix; right or is there ???
Well, several ivory pommels have been restored and results shown here over the years. Yours is of the more elaborate carving style and, thus, would need someone very skilled to carve a good replacement for the missing part. Obtaining legal raw material within your state, matching and attaching the restoration, and applying a stain that matches the current patina will also be challenging. It can be done, I guess. It won't be cheap though.

Regards,
Kai

drac2k 19th January 2019 07:35 PM

Thanks, Kai,
The blade measures 21" long and the handle measures 5"
I was thinking, maybe it could be carved out of wood or resin so that it would be a restoration of its former form, but, not attempting to make it out to be something it is not; resin could be colored to match the ivory.

Battara 20th January 2019 01:36 AM

The silver inlays are also missing.

kino 20th January 2019 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A heart breaker.
I agree with Kai that it would be costly.
Finding someone to do the work would not be easy. I knew of a scrimshaw artist here in Seattle but have lost contact. Carving it out of wood or resin would not be easy as well but the materials wouldn’t cost as much.
Nice blade and ferrule by the way.

A friend gave me this front section of a jungayan pommel. It shares a same dilemma.

CCUAL 20th January 2019 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by drac2k

Drack.
That's a beautiful kris, congrats.

Kino,
Are you going to restore that pommel?

Rick 21st January 2019 12:08 AM

There are plenty of fake scrimshaw teeth out there; maybe you can source a blank one with a little googling; then all you would need is the artisan.
Look for arvorin plus on ebay.

drac2k 21st January 2019 04:12 AM

Great tip; looks pretty close to the real thing.

Sajen 21st January 2019 09:01 AM

Another possibilty would be to look for an antique billards ball to purchase the real deal.

Regards,
Detlef

David R 21st January 2019 11:02 AM

3d printing, using a nice original as the master?

drac2k 21st January 2019 02:05 PM

Two more great ideas.

David 22nd January 2019 03:26 AM

I could be mistaken, but i believe that Spunjer did a restoration on an old ivory pommel like this some years back. Maybe he will show up to talk about it. :)