Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Miscellania (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Phurba for comments (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29804)

mariusgmioc 10th April 2024 08:57 PM

Phurba for comments

5 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I have this massive Phurba and I would like to know possible origin (Tibet, Nepal, Buthan?).

It is approximately 47 cm long (18,5"), is made of silver and decorated with coral, turquoise and amethyst, and has steel blade.

Battara 12th April 2024 12:43 AM

I believe these are a little rare. This from is used for meditation purposes.

Ian 12th April 2024 05:20 AM

Redirect to Ethngraphic Miscellaneous Forum

As these items are not weapons, I'm sending the thread over to the Ethno Miscellania Forum.

Sajen 12th April 2024 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Marius,

his is for sure a silversmithing art work set with stones and very imposant and nice to look at. But I really doubt that it's old or antique.
I am for sure not very knowledgeable in this area but I've seen some antique ones before and they never have looked like your example but I can be very wrong!
Attached is a picture of antique wooden ones.

Regards,
Detlef

mariusgmioc 12th April 2024 01:53 PM

Thank you Detlef!
I do not expect it to be very old. My guess would be somewhere around 1950, but this is purely a guess based on style, condition, materials, rust, etc.
The problem is that I cannot seem to find any additional information on this type of phurba, as I cannot find any similar examples, the one I have being the most elaborate and quality work.

Sajen 12th April 2024 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Marius,

Like I stated before, I am not knowledgeable about these ritual objects. But I would guess that this ornate one was worked for rich tourists or collectors. I've found a similar example but not as good as your example, see pic.

Regards,
Detlef

mariusgmioc 12th April 2024 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen (Post 290208)
Hello Marius,

Like I stated before, I am not knowledgeable about these ritual objects. But I would guess that this ornate one was worked for rich tourists or collectors. I've found a similar example but not as good as your example, see pic.

Regards,
Detlef

BINGO!

It is very similar, maybe the same workshop.

Any other information about the country of origin?

Sajen 12th April 2024 09:48 PM

:) I found it by a short google search "silver phurba", epray??

Found it again, not epray: https://www.maisonbibelot.com/uk/auc...-silver-140461

Battara 13th April 2024 12:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Actually I would disagree Ian. This is a religious weapon with supernatural powers.

Here is my example that is similar to one sold years ago on Czernys. Mine is made of silver, copper, lapis azule, turquoise, coral, and glass. As I said, these were not only used for ritually pinning down demons, but they were also used to vanquish them too. Ornate ones like this were also used as devotional meditative objects. Often it is paired with the bell. Some ornate ones are now coming out of China for sale but the quality is lower.

Sajen 13th April 2024 09:38 AM

Hello Jose,

These ornate silver ones never have been in use, they are modern art work.

Regards,
Detlef

mariusgmioc 16th April 2024 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen (Post 290222)
Hello Jose,

These ornate silver ones never have been in use, they are modern art work.

Regards,
Detlef

You mean that these phurbas "never have been in use" for slaying any demon or outer planar malefic being right?!

As opposed to other antique, museum pieces that have many confirmed kills of big nasty demons in their portfolio. :p:p:p

Sajen 16th April 2024 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariusgmioc (Post 290266)
You mean that these phurbas "never have been in use" for slaying any demon or outer planar malefic being right?!

Hi Marius,

Yes, they are modern art pieces and not relevant to the culture there. And the silver is an alloy with low silver content. Real ones from wood, iron and brass.

Regards,
Detlef