Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Omani Khanjar (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14878)

kahnjar1 26th May 2014 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
I agree with Ibrahim. Bahrain and al Ahsa are historically connected and often ruled by the same dynasties. Also, the khanjars used in the bahrain island and alAhsa (including Qatar) are identical but the Bahraini's developed their own styles which includes stones on the scabbard etc and the uncommon use of ivory. Please google pictures of the Bahraini royal family and you will see many examples.

Although the Bahraini royal family uses Saidi and Omani styles too.. but historically, they had their own style.

Hi Lofty,
I am not disagreeing in respect of HISTORICAL connection between Al Ahsa and Bahrain. The subject here is about the Al Ahsa Khanjar and the modern location of that area. I have no doubt that in the past there were cross connections and different boundries between factions/tribes etc., so the ORIGINAL khanjar could have originated anywhere.
As stated before, this style is illustrated in the book (not just a pamphlet as suggested by Ibrahiim) publication by the King Faisal Center, as coming from Al Ahsa.
I would respectfully suggest that if it is felt that the information is incorrect, then the person suggesting this should contact the Center to clarify. Their postal address is: P.O.Box 51049, Riyadh 11543, KSA
I look forward with interest to the conclusion.
Stu

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 28th May 2014 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi Lofty,
I am not disagreeing in respect of HISTORICAL connection between Al Ahsa and Bahrain. The subject here is about the Al Ahsa Khanjar and the modern location of that area. I have no doubt that in the past there were cross connections and different boundries between factions/tribes etc., so the ORIGINAL khanjar could have originated anywhere.
As stated before, this style is illustrated in the book (not just a pamphlet as suggested by Ibrahiim) publication by the King Faisal Center, as coming from Al Ahsa.
I would respectfully suggest that if it is felt that the information is incorrect, then the person suggesting this should contact the Center to clarify. Their postal address is: P.O.Box 51049, Riyadh 11543, KSA
I look forward with interest to the conclusion.
Stu

In picking my way through your confused first paragraph where you distort Al Ahsa in relation to where it was and where it is today, though, to be honest to a newcomer to the dynamics of the region it must indeed be quite puzzling at times; I offer the following advice ~

May I first just qualify "the pamphlet" written in the early days by Ruth Hawley;

Although it appears as a relatively small pamphlet it contains a packed arsenal of fine historical detail probably not yet bettered til today...and highly respected by anyone studying Omani artefacts. It has been refered to by many other books and publications including the "Richardson and Dorr" and the book on Omani Silver by the prestigious Museum in Quwait; The Tareq Rajeb Museum, on the same subject. Though limited in scope it is a bastion of knowledge and the mainstay of many articles and books on Omani Artefacts. Her work is in fact a benchmark on Omani ethnographics, artefacts and antiques. You should therefor, perhaps, observe this '' pamphlet " which may help you to hoist in at least some of its content so as to deepen your understanding of Oman.

Furthermore, I have shown the direct link in style between the Omani Muscat Khanjar and the item from the Asir. Should you wish to identify another contender to be compared in the same or similar way then please do so...and since you appear to have to hand the documentary evidence then why don't you show it? I have no reason at this time to divert my attention from the key area already discussed ...The Asir and Muscat... linked by seatrade Muscat, Asir, Zanzibar.

In fact, you may well find that the area known as Bahrayn which included Al AHSA does have a dagger similar to the Omani style and that may well be down to trade as well... It will give you the opportunity to do some research and we all look forward to your in depth efforts on behalf of Forum in this regard. :shrug:

To conclude; of course if anything turns up at this end I will post it straightaway, meanwhile, good luck on your research and note that you are starting with a reference in which you place high esteem. ( Occasionally, however, it has been noted that publications with apparently high qualifications sometimes fall short in fine detail through no fault of their own...perhaps you could illustrate the fine words describing the khanjar just to view as an example the historical depth of your reference?)

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 28th May 2014 05:16 PM

Sa'idiyyah Khanjar.

Sa'idiyyah Khanjar

Salaams all ~ I would like to make a point of rule/fine tuning governing the Royal Omani Khanjar form; The Sa'idiyyah Khanjar.

It need not be fitted to a 7 ringer scabbard though actually these are far more common than the few extant 4 ringer examples with the Royal Hilt.

It should be remembered that Sheherazad invented the Royal Khanjar Hilt only (though she also invented the Turban and Camerbund style at the same time in about 1840/1850). Technically, therefor, it is the Hilt which denotes Sa'idiyyah Khanjar, thus, the scabbard can take other Omani forms from the original 7 ring Muscat Khanjar ( See # 132 for both 7 and 4 ringer scabbards with the Royal Hilt..) to other styles of 4 ringer scabbard seen with the Royal Hilts throughout this thread...such as on #63 pictures 1,2,3 and 4.

Note also that Omani Khanjar designs above incorporate the small diamond shaped lozenge rectangles perhaps infused from the Nizwa Hirz (lucky charm) hollow silver box necklace.

A reminder to members is also made of the other weapon hilt fashioned in almost identical design to the Sa'idiyyah Khanjar hilt... that of the old battle sword or Sayf Yamaani seen in that garb at .. The Omani Battle Sword.

(Cautionary note; In researching the design features of the Habaabi Khanjar and the Muscat Khanjar something odd is discovered; The large silver buttons and split palmette flower shapes don't appear on Muscat hilts... but are apparent on many Royal Khanjar Hilts. This is recorded here and on a new thread The Habaabi Khanjar/Jambia. The significance is important since it could after all mean that Habaabi design features were copied from the Royal Khanjar after all !)

Please see #2 of http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...899#post170899 for a startling new revelation. :shrug:

Ibrahiim al Balooshi...

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 29th May 2014 04:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
:shrug:

So what does this mean?...(Cautionary note; In researching the design features of the Habaabi Khanjar and the Muscat Khanjar something odd is discovered; The large silver buttons and split palmette flower shapes don't appear on Muscat hilts... but are apparent on many Royal Khanjar Hilts. This is recorded here and on a new thread The Habaabi Khanjar/Jambia. The significance is important since it could after all mean that Habaabi design features were copied from the Royal Khanjar after all !)

Please see #2 of http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showt...0899#post170899 for a startling new revelation.

What it means is that if true and assuming the design features were copied all at about the same time ...that the Habaabi cannot have existed before the appearance of The Royal Omani Khanjar (see #1)

This means the Habaabi ..from the Asir is a distant cousin created / copied not before about 1840/1850 at the height of trade to and from Zanzibar between Muscat Jazan and Zanzibar(and that regional coastal area known as Zanguebar or Zingabar)...maps below... Small one shows Omani possessions...

All this expansion took place under the watchful eye of Sa'id bin Sultan (Ruler of Muscat 1804 to 1856 ) and it was on his watch that one of his wives...Sheherazad ..designed the hilt for the Royal Khanjar in about 1840.

Note that the scabbard of the Royal Khanjar was taken lock stock 'n barrel off The Muscat Khanjar but the Hilt was a total redesign..and appeared to include some Indian decorative silver style.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 30th May 2014 04:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Royal or Sa'idiyyah Khanjar of Oman # 1 and variously throughout this thread..also refers etc. Below is a Museum item from "The Bayt Al Zubair collection". This style mirrors the 7 ringer Scabbard style of The Muscat Khanjar with the hilt specially designed by Sheherazad in about 1840.

Technically it is the Hilt which specifies the Royal Khanjar as such.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 30th May 2014 04:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another Royal Sa'idiyyah style but of 4 ringer scabbard design... In the Baatinah form. The point being that is the hilt that designates The Royal Khanjar style, not the scabbard. Having said all that it should be noted that most Royal Khanjars are fitted with 7 ringers ...

In every 100 examples of Royal Khanjars I may see one or possibly two 4 ringers only...

Ibrahiim al Balooshi. :shrug:

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 30th May 2014 07:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A question I sometimes get asked is;

"Where do the diamond shaped rectangles come from on some Omani Khanjars" ?

We need look no further than the lucky charm boxes (Hirz) for that answer and especially from the region of Nizwa.

Pictures below from the Historical Association volumes of
Richardson and Dor fame. :shrug:

Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 27th June 2014 04:38 PM

A Most Unusual Omani Khanjar.

1 Attachment(s)
Salaams All ~ Of all the Omani Khanjar styles I have seen there is one which is difficult to place... Clearly it is old from the late 19th / early 20th C in my opinion...but where from in Oman? I found the picture whilst researching Khanjars for another project, however, I have searched for similar examples but as yet ... none. It may be because the silver maker...when he died ... that design vanished with him. There was one master silversmith whos work was of such a high standard that he was able to sign his work...not seen on any other Omani silver in the old days... The Master of Sulaif. I wondered if this was one of his masterpieces..?

The answer must be that this "style" is a Muscat Khanjar because it carries the 9 ringer scabbard and has a Tee shaped hilt on the dagger. The design above the belt of a geometric square of 11x11 silver round headed pins reflected also below the belt in a similar rectangle is for me a puzzle and unattributable to any silvermaker that I know.... The gigantic mulberry cluster on the Quba (crown) is also unusual. I have never seen geometry like this and of note are the 5 discs with 7 geometry decoration. Both 5 and 7 are lucky numbers and where the 7 reflects perhaps the 7 rings.

The overall feeling is of an extremely accurately drawn project piece with a beautiful almost delicate hilt...and perfectly balanced throughout..The technique of brown whip cord decoration on the scabbard under the rings is not one I have ever encountered..but is very attractive.

They don't make them like that anymore !

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Picture from The Richardson and Dorr Volumes; The Craft Herritage of Oman.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 27th June 2014 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Constructive comments are always welcome so please join in. Voltaire is reputed to have said......"I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it!!". :shrug:

Salaams All...Under scrutiny right now is the picture of a Muscat Khanjar at one of the most important references ~ Ruth Hawleys Omani Siver. This remains one of the best resource publications possibly ever and over the last 36 years...even though it is a small pamphlet its historical data is impeccable.

One picture, however, remains rather grainy and difficult to decipher.. The picture is below.. Is it A Muscat Khanjar or in fact a very similar weapon of KSA proportions...? From Al Hasa?? Note that the first questions were recieved from Stu who has quite rightly questioned the point about this weapon being from KSA and on another thread recently Richard G has me focussed on the possibility of a rogue illustration in what was virtually a sacrasanct publication..The problem being that Muscat Khanjars are very rare... but anyway what does Ruth Hawley say about it~

In fact she never mentions Muscat... That mistake is all mine !

She says~ Quote "A beautifully and traditionally decorated Khanjar.showing the blade . This one was probably made in the Sharqiyah and it is in particularly good condition. The handle is entirely covered with silver, and it has an inscription on the back. The decoration which forms the centre of the pattern of squares and appears at the end of the curve is made of silver balls forming a pyramid; this is typical of work all over Oman". Unquote.

I think it is worth considering that it may be from KSA; Al Hasa.

What concerns me is the woven silver beneath the rings and the loop UUUUUU
style pattern above the rings. The dagger at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18700 is similar. More red lights flash up when considering the belt which is not typically Omani. The huge turn in the scabbard would tend to point to KSA style, however, these factors may still be coincidental and more research is needed...It is apparently inscribed at the back but I haven't seen the actual item (in itself inscriptions are not unknown in Omani work but it is not at all usual). The dagger does not appear in the latest doctrine on Omani Khanjars. Mulberry fruit cluster silver ball decoration and square geometry are not specific to Oman.

Comments welcome.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 28th June 2014 04:59 PM

Dagger Re-identified.

Salaams All ~ With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight and with great respect I hereby re-identify the Khanjar shown above from Omani Silver by Ruth Hawley at the section on "khanjars knives and swords" and said to be Sharqiyah(Eastern Oman) made, as being a design of K.S.A. weapon from the Al Ahsa Oasis.

This weapon is said to have taken its design from The Muscat Khanjar.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 9th July 2014 08:10 PM

:shrug:

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 11th July 2014 09:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:) Smaller rings like these on a presentation style may be possibly for the Dubai market but quite attractive all the same... Hilt poly, goldwash above the belt. ...Typical Omani belt of the woven variety...Unusual linkages belt to Khanjar...

blue lander 16th July 2014 08:49 PM

Do men still deploy these daggers to resolve disputes? Or is that all in the past? Do you have any information about how these were/are used as a weapon? I read that with the Jambiya they'd strike between the clavicles and split the body cavity open in one blow.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 17th July 2014 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue lander
Do men still deploy these daggers to resolve disputes? Or is that all in the past? Do you have any information about how these were/are used as a weapon? I read that with the Jambiya they'd strike between the clavicles and split the body cavity open in one blow.

Sounds decidedly painful...:p Salaams Blue Lander... So far as I know the dagger is more symbolic of the head of the family and is a national Icon. Pulling a blade on someone is totally alien but even the act of taking the blade out during a dispute is awarded with a prison sentence... It is simply not on.
As a weapon it was classed as a defensive one..and the weapon seems to originate way back in the past as a skinning item... skinning animals and cutting meat. I have seen a Khanjar used to kill animals for feasts ie ...goats cows and camels.
The central ridge in the blade lends itself to the downward strike I suppose although I have no evidence of it in a fight...Certainly the broad blade is a vicious shape wherever it gets inserted but as I say... Iconic thesedays and not pulled in anger. :shrug:

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

blue lander 21st July 2014 03:53 PM

Thank you. In the Omani Sayf thread we see many 100+ year old photos of men wearing Khanjars that look more or less the same as modern ones. Do you think that even that far back the khanjar was a "symbolic" weapon rather than a practical one? I'm wondering when the khanjar ceased being a practical weapon, and how did those practical khanjars differ from what we see now (if at all)?

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 22nd July 2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue lander
Thank you. In the Omani Sayf thread we see many 100+ year old photos of men wearing Khanjars that look more or less the same as modern ones. Do you think that even that far back the khanjar was a "symbolic" weapon rather than a practical one? I'm wondering when the khanjar ceased being a practical weapon, and how did those practical khanjars differ from what we see now (if at all)?

Salaams Blue Lander, Good question... when did the weapon become more symbolic as a badge of office as head of the family? ...When did it cross over from being a skinner, hunter blade to the exotic item it is today... ? The Sherezad hilt item is known to have been invented in about 1840 for the Ruler by one of his wives ...going back further than that is historical, stepping stone, tightrope walking without a net...however Khanjars were around well before the Sheherazad episode... It is a matter of reverse engineering based on probability and magnetism. :D I have seen no documentary support to back up the probability... but this must go back down the ages many hundreds of years. The Omani Khanjar stars as a Funun dance; "the baraa"... thus it is historically linked...exact dates ... I don't know.... but the Funun being ancient pushes the envelope....

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi. :D

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 20th January 2016 07:47 PM

The al Wusta Khanjar.

Salaams, Please note the website below detail showing many excellent details about Omani Khanjars and at the top of the web page you will find different types to peruse.

One form is the al Wusta which is clearly the link style through the port of Sur (and with similarities to the Sur khanjar form) down to Red Sea Regions in particular the style I call Habaabi. This form appears to explain the odd looking 7 ring Khanjar in the famous book by Ruth Hawley; Omani Silver that on the face of it seemed to be an interloper...but which I now identify as Al Wusta as well. See #169 on this thread. The al Wusta is distinct in its likeness to the Bu Saidi Royal Form but more meaty looking though tantalising in that above the belt is the UUUUUUU decorative form also the style of decoration on the Flowermen type in the Asir / Habaabi form.

It is my view that at the time of the Said the Great this style migrated and froze...in the Asir (on the sea route to and from Zanzibar) when the Asir was part of The Yemen but since 1923 has been in a virtual time warp hibernation and as a part of Saudia.

I leave my explanation here to be examined by Forum... and invite input. The Al Wusta.

Please see http://khanjar.om/Parts.html

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Kubur 20th January 2016 09:48 PM

Shukran habibi Ibrahim, very good link!
:)

harrywagner 21st January 2016 04:57 PM

Omani Jambiya

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams all~ For the Research Library~ heres a few shots of a workshop that produces fabulous quality... on the floor !! This is the maker of some of the best Omani Khanjars ever... :shrug:
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Hello Ibrahiim,
Thank you for this post. I think I bought one of these last year. Photos attached. I purchased it used. The knife has been used, although it is in excellent condition. The blade has been mistreated but I can fix that. I like it. I like it a lot. There is nothng cheap about it. Granted it is not an antique but I can live with that. If I am not mistaken there is a photo in Mr. Gracie's book of one. I don't have the book with me right now but can provide the page number later today if you or anyone else would like the reference. Thanks again for the post. It is interesting to me to see how they are made. Not to mention seeing these incredible knives!

Harry

Richard G 21st January 2016 08:10 PM

Thank you for this link Ibrahim. It is very inreesting.
Do you know whose site it is?
Regards
Richard

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 22nd January 2016 02:14 PM

The Al Wusta Khanjar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard G
Thank you for this link Ibrahim. It is very inreesting.
Do you know whose site it is?
Regards
Richard

Salaams Richard G ...No idea ...I thought it was Government inspired... but I can find no source. Al Wusta is a newly introduced region inside the last 2 years in Oman...The old boundaries are reformatted making the historical trace difficult but it can be seen that the major sea port way back through antiquity was Sur...long the sealink with the south including Red Sea Regions and Zanzibar etc.

Where the penny drops is on its style linking it/the Royal Khanjar and the Habaabi (of Abha) Red Sea (Yemen now Saudia ) style...down to the UUUUUUU decoration above the belt and the more curved Scabbard and Hilt and Scabbard style. The key factor is the close proximity to the important Slave and Ivory port of Sur in the 19th C and before. The major difference now between Asir/Habaabi Flower men Khanjar type and Omani is the Yemeni makers signature and floral etching often placed on the back of that Yemeni form..now part of Saudia...since 1923...but steeped in darkness for about 30 years after that.

I have to say that this new website removes a shroud of misunderstanding upon all those issues.

Please see http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...=omani+khanjar which shows Flower Tribe stamps of the maker plus...the form and the similarity in style with the Al Wusta Khanjar...The transmission being via Sur .

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 22nd January 2016 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrywagner
Hello Ibrahiim,
Thank you for this post. I think I bought one of these last year. Photos attached. I purchased it used. The knife has been used, although it is in excellent condition. The blade has been mistreated but I can fix that. I like it. I like it a lot. There is nothng cheap about it. Granted it is not an antique but I can live with that. If I am not mistaken there is a photo in Mr. Gracie's book of one. I don't have the book with me right now but can provide the page number later today if you or anyone else would like the reference. Thanks again for the post. It is interesting to me to see how they are made. Not to mention seeing these incredible knives!

Harry

Salaams harrywagner ... I like the Khanjar. A lot of people may confuse the concept of making new khanjars... They make these weapons now for the same reasons they made them scores or hundreds of years ago as a badge of office ...head of the Omani household ...and a tradition handed down through the ages. It is therefor Iconic ...an emblem of Oman. In a hundred years yours will be an antique but even then new Khanjars will be being made in the time honoured way and by hand.
Yours is an excellent high quality item... as you say some blade wear or damage which is easy to fix...or to get a refitted blade. The point being that the weapon is constructed so any part of it can be replaced... So you could transform it in minutes to an al Busaidi simply by changing the hilt...I would say this one has what we can say is a new hilt in high density carbon... and fitted to look like Ivory...I see nothing wrong with that at all...The design is what we call eyes of the Bedouin...and in what we also call the Baatinah (coastal) style with silver stitching all over the scabbard below its belt.

There is a similar style at http://khanjar.om/Parts.html See the Types...I read it as agreeing with Omani coastal Baatinah form. The composite hilt with silver pins easily placed without splitting.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

harrywagner 22nd January 2016 10:19 PM

Quote:

Salaams harrywagner ... I like the Khanjar. A lot of people may confuse the concept of making new khanjars... They make these weapons now for the same reasons they made them scores or hundreds of years ago as a badge of office ...head of the Omani household ...and a tradition handed down through the ages. It is therefor Iconic ...an emblem of Oman. In a hundred years yours will be an antique but even then new Khanjars will be being made in the time honoured way and by hand.
Yours is an excellent high quality item... as you say some blade wear or damage which is easy to fix...or to get a refitted blade. The point being that the weapon is constructed so any part of it can be replaced... So you could transform it in minutes to an al Busaidi simply by changing the hilt...I would say this one has what we can say is a new hilt in high density carbon... and fitted to look like Ivory...I see nothing wrong with that at all...The design is what we call eyes of the Bedouin...and in what we also call the Baatinah (coastal) style with silver stitching all over the scabbard below its belt.

There is a similar style at http://khanjar.om/Parts.html See the Types...I read it as agreeing with Omani coastal Baatinah form. The composite hilt with silver pins easily placed without splitting.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Hello Ibrahiim,
Thank you for this information. I did not know the pin arrangement style was called "eyes of the Bedouin", or about the Baatinah form.

We think alike with regards to the importance of a Khanjar's age. Quality and beauty are more important considerations. I really like this one. That the hilt is composite does not bother me. I had a difficult time believing it was man made.

Thanks again for the information!

Best regards,
Harry

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 23rd January 2016 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrywagner
Hello Ibrahiim,
Thank you for this information. I did not know the pin arrangement style was called "eyes of the Bedouin", or about the Baatinah form.

We think alike with regards to the importance of a Khanjar's age. Quality and beauty are more important considerations. I really like this one. That the hilt is composite does not bother me. I had a difficult time believing it was man made.

Thanks again for the information!

Best regards,
Harry

Salaams harrywagner ....SEE post 5 on this thread for a Baatinah (Oman Coastal) workshop making a Baatinah Khanjar...(see also #96 and #106 and #108 ) This form is easy to recognise being stitched all over below the belt section ...no expanse of leather showing. Pattern either geometrical or as is often the case an eyes of the bedouin design... Hand stitched on leather with silver thread. In the hilt of your example silver pins are hammered in to give a design and add weight to the hilt. Sometimes these silver pin geometric and other forms look like bull horn or rams head or floral shapes.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 24th January 2016 03:21 PM

Salaams All~ One burning question is...Regarding the Al Wusta khanjar and its almost identical like ness to the weapon in the Asir (The flower tribe khanjar...also known as Habaabi...of Abha ...which I note only differs in that the Asir style often carries a floral stamp and or a signature on the reverse. (Potentially an owners signature)

Was this weapon faithfully copied by artesans who may have migrated from Al Wusta /perhaps blood relatives...Silversmiths that simply moved to the Asir from Oman ...or is it simply the result of weapons being shipped from Al Wusta and stamped/signed in the Asir...i.e. traded in ?

See The Habaabi Khanjar/Jambia; FromThe Asir.

Regards,
Ibrahim al Balooshi.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 28th February 2016 12:09 PM

Salaams All...On reflection #3 and #76 whilst easily confused with Dhakilliyyah (interior) and UAE form are more than likely from the Sharkiyyah thus probably made in either Sur or Sinaw...Such is the difficulty in arriving at a birthplace on these weapons that I add UAE/ Sharqiyyah/Suri style knowing that leaves some wiggle room on these difficult to be certain daggers.. :shrug:

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

mrcjgscott 4th March 2016 11:42 PM

Hello Ibrahiim,

A wonderful and very useful thread, even for a layman like myself.

A further question if I may on my friend's khanjar we spoke about recently:

What are the standard blade length's encountered with Sur sailors jambiya?

Many thanks,

Chris

kahnjar1 5th March 2016 02:50 AM

[QUOTE=mrcjgscott]Hello Ibrahiim,

A wonderful and very useful thread, even for a layman like myself.

A further question if I may on my friend's khanjar we spoke about recently:

What are the standard blade length's encountered with Sur sailors jambiya?

Many thanks,

Chris[/QUOTE
Hi Chris,
Two things....these are not "sailors" Khanjars as such. As with most regions of Oman there is a port, but the origin relates to the REGION and not the port.
Now to blade length. Mine has a 6" blade which in my experience is about the length found on most Omani Khanjars no matter where they originate. There are no doubt some which are shorter and some which are longer, but on average that appears to be the general length.
Stu

mrcjgscott 5th March 2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahnjar1

Hi Chris,
Two things....these are not "sailors" Khanjars as such. As with most regions of Oman there is a port, but the origin relates to the REGION and not the port.
Now to blade length. Mine has a 6" blade which in my experience is about the length found on most Omani Khanjars no matter where they originate. There are no doubt some which are shorter and some which are longer, but on average that appears to be the general length.
Stu

Hello Stu,

Many thanks indeed.

I understand it is a regional definition.

I have not handled too many Khanjar's, but I have seen blade lengths from 6 to 7.5, so just wondered of there was an overall, or regional standard.

I suppose it depends quite a bit on the owner's needs, and what the khanjar itself is to be used for.

Many thanks,

Chris

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 5th March 2016 03:40 PM

Salaams All, The Sharqiyyah region is further subdivided into Sur the Port, Sinaw, Muthaibi and a few other villages with vibrant Souks...and the huge area of desert and dunes that make up most of the rest of the region. There are variations in the subdivision in terms of Khanjars... Firstly I remind you that the dagger or blade size slightly different in Oman from region to region with some of the bigger weapons being on the Baatinah or coastal strip roughly between Muscat and Mussandam. The one area where smaller blades occur is in Sur. This is because of the seafaring tendency for smaller Khanjars on board ships. A big full sized khanjar was probably too cumbersome for that task. Also dotted around the Sharqiyyah you see the floral pinned Rhino hilt called Saifani and of course other names fly off the wheel like Sinawi and Muthaibi. and Sharqiyyah... The smaller form from Sur for example is called Suri. The largest is actually from Nizwa and is called Nizwani though I have seen a collosal one off Khanjar worn in Bahla about 20 years ago when I was visiting a giant...This chap was 72 years old and 7 foot plus tall. Bahala is famous for giants and his Khanjar was about twice the normal size as were his hands..!! They don't make them like that anymore !! A custom made Khanjar for a local Giant.

Confusion slips in when considering the UAE Khanjar mainly because it adopted the interior dagger of that part of Oman now adjacent the UAE...so they almost share a style.. Dhaakiliyyah (the Omani interior) and UAE.

It is very easy to underestimate the influence of Sur. This was the trade Hub and powerhouse driving Oman in the Zanzibar days...and before. It was a magnet for trade between Oman and Africa; slavery, Rhino, Ivory, ...everything. It was a hotbed of trade with Zanzibar,The Red Sea, Yemen and Africa....as well as India and all stations north.

See map at http://www.maplandia.com/oman/a-sharqiya/
See a Suri at #2 on this thread...Note from http://khanjar.om/Parts.html That Suri style often contains a money container silver decorated (Bakhsha) ...see webpage.

colin henshaw 20th October 2016 11:48 AM

Quote:

Salaams All~ Note to Forum. The Khanjar Blade. (naslah).

This remarkable piece of engineering is around 17 or 18 cms long and 5 to 6 cms broad at the throat tapering to a point along a curved, two edged, centrally ridged on both sides, steel blade. The ridge gives strength for thrusting and withdrawing the blade. Cheap imported blades are two joined together whereas a proper Omani blade joins along the ridges. The little furnace about half the size of a football, is wood fuelled and heat is increased by use of hand bellows.
The best blades were made by a peculiar and historically virtually unrecorded group of itinerant Gypsy like folk called Zuttoot... or Zutti covered in my other post at length.See Kattara for comments #165. In days of old these small bands travelled about Oman doing tinning of utensils, making tools and sword and Khanjar blades...on commission and at random.
The blade is all important to local gentlemen and when inspecting a Khanjar they will ponder the blade first and foremost... not the scabbard or hilt. Often they take up the dagger with hilt in thumb and first 2 fingers by the very point only and lift it vertically... If they can easily lift it ... its a duffer ! If it slips from the fingers then its quality... weight, balance and blade metal quaility are observed most carefully..
According to Richardson and Dorr (The Craft Herrritage of Oman) The bedouin say that the best metal ore for blades is found in thunder storms where the lightening strikes!
One of the amazing ways in which they decide on blade quality is by tasting the blade?
Glue. To fix the blade, Lakk is used (Tachardia Lacca ) from an insect secretion. Essentially it looks like small blocks/ sheets of black pitch and is imported from India and Pakistan. The molten pitch-like lakk is poured into the hilts cuff(tuq) and the heated blade is sturdily pressed home. :shrug:
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Hi Ibrahiim

I decided to read through some of the Omani threads and am interested in this subject - the manufacture of khanjar blades. It has puzzled me a bit, even when I was in Oman over 40 years ago. Can you concisely advise :-

In the historic period (say pre-1950) :-

Was iron smelting for khanjar blade manufacture ever done in Oman ?
Are there iron ore deposits in Oman ?
Were the blades forged in Oman from imported or scrap iron ? (imported from where ?)
Were the blades imported ready-made ? (from where ?)

What was the position in the rest of Arabia regarding the above ? (eg. Saudi Arabia, Yemen, UAE etc) ?

What about khanjar blades in the modern period regarding the above points ?

Apologies if these issues have been covered elsewhere either in whole or in part on the forum.

Thanks in advance & regards.

Roland_M 20th October 2016 12:02 PM

Quote:

Salaams all~ For the Research Library~ heres a few shots of a workshop that produces fabulous quality... on the floor !! This is the maker of some of the best Omani Khanjars ever... :shrug:
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Salaams Ibrahiim,

wonderful examples, I'm very impressed. Does the Workshop have a Homepage?
I need to have one of these amazing Khanjars!

Roland

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 20th October 2016 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Hi Ibrahiim

I decided to read through some of the Omani threads and am interested in this subject - the manufacture of khanjar blades. It has puzzled me a bit, even when I was in Oman over 40 years ago. Can you concisely advise :-

In the historic period (say pre-1950) :-

Was iron smelting for khanjar blade manufacture ever done in Oman ?
Are there iron ore deposits in Oman ?
Were the blades forged in Oman from imported or scrap iron ? (imported from where ?)
Were the blades imported ready-made ? (from where ?)

What was the position in the rest of Arabia regarding the above ? (eg. Saudi Arabia, Yemen, UAE etc) ?

What about khanjar blades in the modern period regarding the above points ?

Apologies if these issues have been covered elsewhere either in whole or in part on the forum.

Thanks in advance & regards.

Hello Colin, Iron tools were made in Nizwa on forges as well as by wandering Zutoot before 1970... Much in the same way as Gypsies did this sort of work in other parts of the world.
Most of the blades are imported ready made these days... but this is a good question as it is said that (so it probably isn't true) the best blades are locally made. I have heard tales of meteor ore being turned into such blades but I have found no evidence of it. I will find out more and post here as soon as I can.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 20th October 2016 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland_M
Salaams Ibrahiim,

wonderful examples, I'm very impressed. Does the Workshop have a Homepage?
I need to have one of these amazing Khanjars!

Roland

Hello Roland... Im afraid they don't ... The 21st Century has not quite arrived at the workshop yet. :)
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

colin henshaw 23rd October 2016 04:04 PM

Quote:

Hello Colin, Iron tools were made in Nizwa on forges as well as by wandering Zutoot before 1970... Much in the same way as Gypsies did this sort of work in other parts of the world.
Most of the blades are imported ready made these days... but this is a good question as it is said that (so it probably isn't true) the best blades are locally made. I have heard tales of meteor ore being turned into such blades but I have found no evidence of it. I will find out more and post here as soon as I can.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Thanks Ibrahiim, I am looking forward to reading the results of your research.

The only references I have been able to find on the internet, are from the website www.omanisilver.com. It states that older khanjar blades were from Iran or Europe. The website also quotes from the book by Franz Stuhlmann "Handwerk und Industrie in Ost Africa", 1910 that khanjar blades were sourced from Solingen.

Regards,
Colin Henshaw

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 24th October 2016 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Thanks Ibrahiim, I am looking forward to reading the results of your research.

The only references I have been able to find on the internet, are from the website www.omanisilver.com. It states that older khanjar blades were from Iran or Europe. The website also quotes from the book by Franz Stuhlmann "Handwerk und Industrie in Ost Africa", 1910 that khanjar blades were sourced from Solingen.

Regards,
Colin Henshaw

Omani Silver dot com has substantially revamped their Omani Khanjar situation (which they are quite entitled to do :) ) and have now got a vibrant collection with well backed up references and detail. They include in the domain of Omani Khanjars those regions traded into by Saiid the Great including Eastern Saudia and South West areas that were once in Yemen but are now in Saudia.

(I disagree that Khanjars with a flower tribe makers stamp on the reverse of the scabbard are Omani...The construction of the hilt is different and of course the flower tribe makers stamp means "made by a flower tribal artisan in Yemen/Saudia" no matter what part of the Khanjar is copied into their making of it) However I fully endorse the website and reccommend it to Forum...www.omanisilver.com

I have not seen(yet) any home made blades in this regard but will continue looking. I would expect to find work by the Master of Sulayf or one of the other famous artesans but there are only imports available in living memory.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

A.alnakkas 24th October 2016 08:59 PM

there is no flower tribe. Southern Arabs include the wearing of flowers on their heads and sometimes on their necks.

Bedouins often photographed with flowers on their heads are the bedouins of Asir and Tihama and they are not from the same tribe. Its a simple tradition that is not strict to any group.

Otherwise we'd have the egal and ghutra tribe and the turban tribe :-)

As for the daggers, since the flower tribe does not exist, the mythical dagger makers do not too.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 24th October 2016 09:59 PM

Quote:

there is no flower tribe. Southern Arabs include the wearing of flowers on their heads and sometimes on their necks.

Bedouins often photographed with flowers on their heads are the bedouins of Asir and Tihama and they are not from the same tribe. Its a simple tradition that is not strict to any group.

Otherwise we'd have the egal and ghutra tribe and the turban tribe :-)

As for the daggers, since the flower tribe does not exist, the mythical dagger makers do not too.

Whilst respecting the strict tribal nameology and that there may not be a tribe called the Flower tribe there are many people in the region in the Asir whose livelihood is based on flowers and are famous for wearing flowers about their heads...generically called by accident or design; Flower tribe. The appearance of a Flower Tribe insignia in the form of a bunch of flowers underpins that conjecture. No identifiable insignia exists in Oman with that stamp. The stamp comes from the Asir. I would assume that Saiid The Greats involvement in the region caused by trade both ways from Muscat to Zanzibar was responsible for the transmission. These Khanjars often have names inscribed: ...Yemeni.

However, it is not that simple since http://khanjar.om/Old.html the al Wustah Omani Governate has a Khanjar that is virtually identical to the Dojanni.

A.alnakkas 25th October 2016 04:45 AM

That assuming that the "wustah" dagger is properly identified. I would have a look at the back side first and do recall wanting to contact them.

As for the stamps in the back, the most common is the palm and two swords. The flower design is not uncommon anywhere, and it is apparent on other items such as swords. The attributation of the artistic design to a certain tribe especially when it comes to this dagger simply does not follow. As it is made and worn by people of different tribes and regions.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 26th October 2016 07:11 AM

Quote:

That assuming that the "wustah" dagger is properly identified. I would have a look at the back side first and do recall wanting to contact them.

As for the stamps in the back, the most common is the palm and two swords. The flower design is not uncommon anywhere, and it is apparent on other items such as swords. The attributation of the artistic design to a certain tribe especially when it comes to this dagger simply does not follow. As it is made and worn by people of different tribes and regions.

Palm and two swords... That belongs to Saudia does it not?
The flower form stamp is not Omani and further it does not exist on any Omani dagger or sword....It comes from what was part of Yemen, in the SW corner, absorbed in the 1920s.

Surely the whole point is deciding how this weapon came to be worn by two different tribes and in two different countries...? See the reference on al Wustah Khanjars at http://khanjar.om/Old.html Look at Types and under types see OLD. You may notice that in describing the Al Wustah that no mention is made of any name inscribed on the back or any flower stamp...I wonder why? Further observe how different Omani Khanjars are related to this form...indicating very certainly that it is Omani related ?

Since the important sea port was Sur and the trade contact point was Jazzan on the way to and from Zanzibar would it not be plausible that this dagger transferred to that region in the 19thC for which I have already indicated the Omani nickname after the regional capital Abha... Habaabi Khanjar...Of Abha ?

The khanjar in this example belongs to the Al Wusta governorate and it is on display in the Bait Al Zubair Museum, and features the following specifications:

The Al Wusta governorate khanjar See pictures at http://khanjar.om/Old.html and at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...=omani+khanjar

1. Handle: This handle shares the same design as the Al Nizwani, Al Batini and Al Suri khanjar handles, but it is a little shorter, and is mixed with the Al Sifani handle as well. It is covered with al tikasir silver design carvings on the entire top and towards the bottom to the beginning of the ferrule with the left side edges without design silver, exposing the original handle material. The same designs design can be found in the first Al Saidi handle design.

2. Scabbard upper cover: The design on the scabbard upper cover area comes in overlapping square motifs with Omani and Islamic motifs surrounding a circular shape in the middle. The same designs design can be found on the Al Saidi scabbard upper cover in the first and second design.

3. Belt holder: This kind of khanjar comes with seven rings, three on the scabbard cover and four in the belt holder area. Connecting them are silver wires in the form of a strand of twisted wires known locally as sim mahius. Another feature of this area is that the two outer rings have a conical head shape which can be found on the Al Nizwani khanjar.

4. Scabbard cover: This area is covered by silver wire, in the form of sim mahius. What distinguishes this kind of khanjar is that these silver wire strings exist only on the lower half of both the al chandah, and al mekhalh. The design consists of al tikasir silver. The scabbard cover area is shaped diagonally from the top towards to the chape, more so than the rest of the Omani khanjars, and can only be found in the Al Suri khanjar. Linking the area of Al Mekhalh and the Belt silver chain are small balls called mirqat, which are attached to al mekhalh with the belt to make the khanjar slant when you wear it.