Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Some help here, please (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16093)

fernando 11th September 2012 07:10 PM

Some help here, please

10 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,
While looking in antiques shops for weapons more of my type, i have just stumbled upon this keris.
The owner (seller), knowing nothing about these things, searched the Net and 'managed' to find an example he 'considers' similar to this one, dated 16th century.
Needless to say he is asking a fortune to sell it, based on such 'conclusion'.
Is there any way, by looking at these lousy pictures, to estimate a date on this keris?
Whatever the conclusion, i will never buy it, due to the conviction the seller has that this is an almost 'medieval' weapon.
... But i would in any case appreciate your guys opinion, just for the sake of knowledge.
These pictures i am posting were authorized by its owner and my query here does not constitute any unexpected procedure.

Jean 11th September 2012 08:18 PM

Hello Fernando,
I will start with the easy part: the hilt is a poor quality and recent Madurese piece and the mendak is also recent and in Sumatra or Bugis style.
I will let other members comment about the blade :) ...
Regards

A. G. Maisey 11th September 2012 10:49 PM

Blade:- current era, made in Sumenep Madura, high probability that it was sold out of a particular market in Surabaya, needs maintenance, rather average quality.

Hilt:- remarkably poor quality, current era.

Pendongkok:- made in Madura, brass, probably low quality silver plate but could be nickel plate or chrome plate, current era, exceptionally poor quality. This fitting should not be on this type of keris, as Jean has said, it belongs with a Bugis-type keris.

Rick 11th September 2012 11:27 PM

The stuff dreams are made of .

David 12th September 2012 03:45 AM

Well, you could show him this thread, but he probably won't believe you...or us...people like to hold on to their pipe dreams... :shrug: :)

satsujinken 12th September 2012 06:22 AM

well ... according to my limited knowledge, this keris :

1. dhapur : nagasasra
2. luk : 11
3. pamor : miji timun
4. tangguh : kamardikan
5. made : madura

needs urgent maintenance ... well at least you could try mineral oil to stabilize the rust, after some general cleaning of the blade

CMIIW :D

Donny

satsujinken 12th September 2012 06:24 AM

errr ... just asking .... shouldn't this type of keris have something in the mouth of the dragon ??

one of mine had gold ball ... the other had some kind of red jewel in the dragon's mouth

Henk 12th September 2012 08:37 AM

Well, all is said here :rolleyes:

fernando 12th September 2012 09:11 AM

Thank you all guys; you are the best.
Your'e right David; that is the type of guy that won't change his mind.
... And i don't even try; he will probably think i am pulling some trick to lower the price he asks ... which you don't even imagine how much it is :rolleyes: .
Thanks again for knowlegeable help :cool:

Rick 12th September 2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernando
Thank you all guys; you are the best.
Your'e right David; that is the type of guy that won't change his mind.
... And i don't even try; he will probably think i am pulling some trick to lower the price he asks ... which you don't even imagine how much it is :rolleyes: .
Thanks again for knowlegeable help :cool:

He could not be asking more than the $360,000.00 price on a certain keris offered currently for sale . :D

fernando 12th September 2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick
He could not be asking more than the $360,000.00 price on a certain keris offered currently for sale . :D

Not that much, but still enough to buy a lot of egg laying chickens :eek: .

David 12th September 2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernando
Not that much, but still enough to buy a lot of egg laying chickens :eek: .

I think i'd rather be able to make some omelets... ;)

dbhmgb 12th September 2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Well, it does have free shipping!

And, if you buy it at that price, you'll be blessing that family in a special way!

:D :D :D

Sajen 12th September 2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Hi Rick,

this keris you referring to was posted from me some time ago and I am sure that the current seller have read here what we think about this keris! :D :p

Rick 12th September 2012 08:58 PM

I offered no opinion . :shrug:

asomotif 12th September 2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Hilt:- remarkably poor quality, current era.

How current is this hilt ?
It is crudely carved, yes, but it has collected quite some patina and dirt in time.
Not medeaval, but maybe mid 20th cent. ?

Best regards,
Willem

fernando 12th September 2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asomotif
It is crudely carved, yes, but it has collected quite some patina and dirt in time.

Best regards,
Willem

Well, four hundred years difference ... is no difference :rolleyes:

fernando 12th September 2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
I think i'd rather be able to make some omelets... ;)

;)

satsujinken 13th September 2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asomotif

Best regards,
Willem

this keris classified as kamardikan, or made after Indonesia's independence - 1945

so it may be 10 - 20 - 30 years old, but still classified as "newly made" in terms of keris age - and so is the hilt ...

Donny