Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   WALLACE COLLECTION Oriental Room, London UK (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12134)

ALEX 27th June 2010 09:40 PM

WALLACE COLLECTION Oriental Room, London UK

12 Attachment(s)
For those who have not had a chance to see a Wallace Collection, here is a brief photo guide of it's splendid Oriental room. As evident by the quality and expert compilation of various weapons - it's a real treat for any collector. Needless to say, the Collection has an amazing array of European arms and armour (3 more rooms), paintings and other works of art. The arms in Oriental room are mostly Indian, but there are plenty of Persian, Turkish and some Caucasian specimens. Hope you'll enjoy the pictures. As you know the full catalogue is planned to be published, but it may be a while until done.

ALEX 27th June 2010 09:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
looks like they ran out of wall-paper by the ceiling, so had to cover it with something.... :p
also, one of the most amazing blades on display....

William.m 27th June 2010 10:27 PM

Incredible, I will certainly pop in for a look when I am next in London.

Thanks for that! :)

CharlesS 27th June 2010 11:22 PM

Thanks so much for posting these magnificent examples...breathtaking!! :o

Berkley 27th June 2010 11:36 PM

Thank you very much for posting these. Truly breathtaking.

Battara 28th June 2010 12:19 AM

Thank you sooooo much for the pictures - some great stuff. :)

Wish I could visit there.. :( (wish I had some of that stuff!)

Nathaniel 28th June 2010 04:30 AM

Wow:eek:...Amazing collection...fantastic quality and quantity!!!

Got me curious so I had to look up more about the museum:
http://www.wallacecollection.org/thecollection

Thanks Alex!

kahnjar1 28th June 2010 08:17 AM

Thanks Alex, I echo the comments above!! Only 12000 miles away...might just drop in over the weekend ;) :shrug: ........but then dreams are free.

Gavin Nugent 28th June 2010 11:21 AM

OMG

OMG

ALEX 28th June 2010 11:38 AM

Thanks for all your comments !!! I am so glad you liked the pictures:-) I remember my reaction when I first walked in:-) ... I still cannot contain it every time I see it:-). I know some are unable to visit in person, and so many other world-class collections, public and private. this is why we have this community and share our passion and knowledge with each other.
I'll take more pictures, and will be happy to snap and send closeups/details of any particular item.... I'll be there again tomorrow:-)

RSWORD 28th June 2010 12:35 PM

Fantastic! Thank you for sharing. If there are any Chinese/Tibetan/SE Asian items in the collection it would be great to see a few pictures.

Berkley 28th June 2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALEX
will be happy to snap and send closeups/details of any particular item.... I'll be there again tomorrow:-)

Two words: kukris please!
I've always wanted to see the Wallace Collection, but your pictures make me realize just how much I'm missing. Maybe I'll buy a lottery ticket today.

sirupate 28th June 2010 01:54 PM

OMG! What an amazing collection, thank you so much for the pics :D

Rick 28th June 2010 07:12 PM

I put my keyboard away before opening this thread; it was a wise decision .

My Sweet Lord !!!! :eek:

dennee 29th June 2010 03:08 PM

There is a published catalog (1964) of the collection, but it contains no photos. There are a few Chinese things, but mostly decorative items. There is a sword and an officer's helmet and ding jia "tunic."

I don't think there is any Tibetan stuff, but there's a Bhutanese "dirk" and musket.

There are some Burmese and Indonesian items.

olikara 29th June 2010 05:55 PM

Pleaase take snaps of the Seringapatam pieces while you are there. Thanks.

Paul Duffy 30th June 2010 03:47 AM

Wallace Collection

A wonderful collection,and thank you for sharing the photos.I was able to visit London several years ago,and enjoyed the Oriental room.
I was surprised to see a keris too.
Has the back armoury reopened yet?

Nathaniel 30th June 2010 03:56 AM

"The Wallace Collection is a national museum which displays the wonderful works of art collected in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries by the first four Marquesses of Hertford and Sir Richard Wallace, the son of the 4th Marquess. It was bequeathed to the British nation by Sir Richard's widow, Lady Wallace, in 1897."

Damm, I wish I had a Uncle like that...and I his favorite Nephew who he remembered in his will :p

laEspadaAncha 30th June 2010 05:58 AM

Absolutely Stunning... After looking through those pictures, I had to go console my collection just to reassure them that at least they're special to me.

Gavin Nugent 30th June 2010 06:51 AM

:-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by laEspadaAncha
Absolutely Stunning... After looking through those pictures, I had to go console my collection just to reassure them that at least they're special to me.

:) I too have had to do the same....

Nathaniel 30th June 2010 01:55 PM

:p

Gavin Nugent 12th July 2010 05:26 AM

round two

G'day Alex,

Did you get to do a second round photo journey.

Gav

ALEX 13th July 2010 09:52 PM

11 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more pictures. Not many Asian arms, but a few very interesting and very fine ones. I'll post another series of Turkish weapons next.

ALEX 13th July 2010 09:56 PM

12 Attachment(s)
more...

ALEX 13th July 2010 10:00 PM

11 Attachment(s)
More ... ... ...

Gavin Nugent 13th July 2010 10:25 PM

Thank you

Thank you Alex, your a gentleman, I look forward to the next visual feast.
Nice to see some other arms, China, Nepal, Bhutan etc, very nice actually.

Gav

Tatyana Dianova 14th July 2010 07:42 AM

Mmmm... Delicious :)
Thank you Alex for the feast!

spiral 14th July 2010 08:49 AM

Thank you Alex for the time taken in taking & sharing these.

Truly stunning pieces.

Spiral

Berkley 14th July 2010 12:56 PM

Alex, we are all greatly indebted to you for sharing these remarkable works of art with us. My sincerest thanks.
Berkley

RSWORD 14th July 2010 01:04 PM

Thanks Alex for taking the time to photograph so many wonderful pieces and sharing a wide variety of them. The pictures are very good and clear and highlight both the quality and fine details of these pieces. A take away for me is to see superb 18th and 19th century weapons where the gold koftgari is absolutely pristine. No wear or anything. If we were to see an Indian sword these days in this kind of condition we might question the authenticity of the gold work but as we can see here, if an item is carefully kept all these years the goldwork can remain in "as new" condition. Absolutely wonderful!