Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Unusual Albacete dagger for comment (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25319)

Sajen 29th September 2019 02:44 PM

Unusual Albacete dagger for comment

12 Attachment(s)
Hello members,
I have recently acquired this unusual Albacete dagger. It's a type A punal, handle from horn and brass, the blade shows faded engravings. What I never have seen before is the dog head pommel. It is approx. 28 cm long with a blade from 17 cm.
Have someone seen a similar piece before? All other comments are very welcome. The last picture show it together with two other Spanish daggers.

Ren Ren 29th September 2019 10:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Only I see the resemblance of the head of a greyhound with the emblem of the Trussardi fashion house? ;)

Rick 29th September 2019 10:50 PM

I see an excess of solder on the grip wires which seems a bit unusual for such a fancy thing. :confused:

ariel 30th September 2019 12:12 AM

Ren Ren, I am impressed.
Not often do we have a high maintenance man around here.

corrado26 30th September 2019 07:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Congrats. I unfortunaqtely missed this auction! Here two fotos of similar Albacete daggers of the end of 18th century with very similar grips. The doghead might be a special order of the former owner.
corrado26

Sajen 30th September 2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ren Ren
Only I see the resemblance of the head of a greyhound with the emblem of the Trussardi fashion house? ;)

Yes, it seems to be a greyhound! :)

Regards,
Detlef

Sajen 30th September 2019 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick
I see an excess of solder on the grip wires which seems a bit unusual for such a fancy thing. :confused:

Hello Rick,
The solder is also visible at the down side from the horn grip but only strong visible by close up pictures. I don't think that it is a later repair or alteration. :shrug:

Regards,
Detlef

Sajen 30th September 2019 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corrado26
Congrats. I unfortunaqtely missed this auction! Here two fotos of similar Albacete daggers of the end of 18th century with very similar grips. The doghead might be a special order of the former owner.
corrado26

Thank you for comment! Yes, all on this Type A punal is typical, only the dog head and the missing brass bolsters are untypical. But it never has had this brass bolsters. I think this type of Albacete daggers are from end of the 19th century.

Regards,
Detlef

mariusgmioc 30th September 2019 08:18 AM

Yes, rather typical 19c Spanish hunting knife. The dog pommel is the only atypical thing.

Very nice dagger, and because of the pommel, very original!

:)

Sajen 30th September 2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
Yes, rather typical 19c Spanish hunting knife. The dog pommel is the only atypical thing.

Very nice dagger, and because of the pommel, very original!

:)

Thank you Marius! :)