Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   South American knives (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17484)

Gavin Nugent 3rd August 2013 02:09 PM

South American knives

1 Attachment(s)
I am often asked to share interesting things I have tucked away here and tonight I find myself with a little time to do so.

The attached images shows some knives and Bola from South America.
There have been many nice examples presented over time in these pages and I thought these worthy of the mix.

If I am on target, and those more learned might chime in, the knives from the top down appear to be from Chile, Argentina and Brazil.

The Chile is a very fine presentation example, for I suspect valour looking at the script but this may be customary when gifted? The Chile blade also shows names to the cartouches within the scroll work. The large one is a great working knife and the Brazilian example is a fine example of the type.

Gavin

Sajen 3rd August 2013 10:11 PM

Hi Gav,

thank you for sharing, beautiful examples!

Are the Bola balls from ivory?

Regards,

Detlef

russel 3rd August 2013 11:32 PM

Can we please see some more pictures? Particularly of the Faca de Ponta.

Cheers, Russel

Gavin Nugent 4th August 2013 01:29 AM

Hi Detlef,

The bola are ivory and silver.

Hi Russel,

I should have time this week for images of the Faca de Ponta.

Gavin

Sajen 4th August 2013 04:06 AM

So the Bola is a dress piece and not for use? I also would like to see the blades.

Regards,

Detlef

Gavin Nugent 4th August 2013 04:48 AM

The Bola are certainly dress items but I've swung them around without throwing them and they feel like they would work very well if required.
I have seen others pictured in books, also of ivory and silver but with much age and wear from use....

Images of the knives when time permits.

laEspadaAncha 4th August 2013 07:50 AM

Wow Gav... I've never seen an ivory and silver bola before. That's quite a looker alright... :)

Cheers,
Chris

Gavin Nugent 10th August 2013 12:52 AM

Thanks Chris,

It isn't too hard to picture these hanging from the saddle of a very well dressed Gaucho, jingling along with the horses movements.

Gavin

Chris Evans 10th August 2013 02:13 AM

Gavin,

Nice collection.

Any chance of a photograph of the blades showing brand and any other inscriptions or features?

Cheers
Chris

Gavin Nugent 11th August 2013 10:23 AM

Hi Chris,

Just as soon as I can as most of my collections are currently in safe storage because we are selling our home...open houses and toys laying around....I am not very trusting in that respect :-)

Gav

Chris Evans 11th August 2013 01:06 PM

Hi Gav,

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwordsAntiqueWeapons
Hi Chris,

Just as soon as I can as most of my collections are currently in safe storage because we are selling our home...open houses and toys laying around....I am not very trusting in that respect :-)

Gav

Know the feeling and feel your pain - Been there and done it myself! :D

Cheers
Chris