Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Keris Jawa for Comment (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13458)

Raja Muda 9th March 2011 08:56 AM

Keris Jawa for Comment

1 Attachment(s)
Gentlemen,

It has been a while. I have recently acquired this keris and as I have very little experience with keris Jawa, I was wondering if our esteemed forum members could assist me with identifying the dhapur and tangguh of this keris. The hilt is somewhat unusual, made of bone with interesting carvings. I hope someone can shed light on the origins of the ukiran too. The blade came without a warangka, and I'm still considering whether to dress it in a proper Javanese warangka, or some other sheath which I can get my hands on here in Malaysia. Regards

Marcokeris 9th March 2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raja Muda
Gentlemen,

It has been a while. I have recently acquired this keris and as I have very little experience with keris Jawa, I was wondering if our esteemed forum members could assist me with identifying the dhapur and tangguh of this keris. The hilt is somewhat unusual, made of bone with interesting carvings. I hope someone can shed light on the origins of the ukiran too. The blade came without a warangka, and I'm still considering whether to dress it in a proper Javanese warangka, or some other sheath which I can get my hands on here in Malaysia. Regards

The ukiran would be from Madura (...or around area). Sometimes there is (around the base) a metal ring (a kind of selut).............. Your hilt seems very nice

David 9th March 2011 02:50 PM

Better, closer photos would be helpful. I'd say that the blade looks more Javanese than Madurese. Personally i think this would be best dressed in Javanese clothing. :)

Raja Muda 10th March 2011 02:21 PM

More pictures

5 Attachment(s)
Additional pictures though I must say my photographic skills are quite rudimentary.

Gustav 10th March 2011 03:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
oncemore.

David 10th March 2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raja Muda
Additional pictures though I must say my photographic skills are quite rudimentary.

Rudimentary perhaps Raja, but these new images are much better for making assessments than just that first over all shot. :)
... and thanks Gustav, for taking the time to give them proper orientation. :)

Sajen 10th March 2011 08:04 PM

Nice hilt, like Marco write from Madura or East Java. Blade seems to be from good quality. Do you plan to etch the blade?

Regards,

Detlef

Raja Muda 11th March 2011 12:06 PM

Staining

Thanks Gustav, like a compass needle, the blade does look better pointing north. Sajen, I rather like the patina of the blade at the moment, so I will probably go as far as cleaning it with some lime juice and oiling it.

I have not personally handled warangan myself, and I don't quite like the idea of keeping it around the house, as I have a toddler running around these days.

I have seen some attempts at staining by other collectors, though I can say the results can be patchy in inexpert hands, yielding more greyish tinge than true black. I don't think I want to risk it. :)